Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2001/2002 Trajet the ashtray is broken and I bought a second hand replacement. Does anybody know the best way to replace it without taken the whole dashboard apart? A standard radio is fitted and no other "updates" have been done.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Honestly I don't get the question. Ashtray can be pulled out when releasing lock tab and a new one pushed in.

What exactly is broken on yours ?

Or are you talking about the drawer below the radio ?

Can you post a picture of the spare part you got ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi e3Tom,
yes, it is the ashtray itself. I think it is spring loaded since you have to push it in and then it slides open. The spring bracket and the rollers seem to be broken. The ashtray just falls out when pushed in. If you could explain to me how to get the old one out and the new one in without taking all the front dashboard off, I would greatly appreciate it. If you have an e-mail I can send you some photos.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, e3Tom,
managed to upload the pics on the photo gallery where you can see my problem.
You anywhere near Artern/Unstrut? Have family over there.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Aaaah ... now I get it.

That's the same way the drawer is designed. Unfortunately also that one is bolted to the dash from behind. With the drawer it's easy since that part of the dash (the bezel or facia at the radio) is a clip-on part.
With the ashtray it's apparently more complicated - but for compensation it's 2 screws instead of 4 ...
Have dug a little in my pics archive and found this for you:
As you can see on the picture the screws of the ashtray 'module' become accessible once the center facia is out.
Means:
- remove the radio
- pull out the facia (6 clips, you can see their positions by the small vertical 'slots' of approx. 4x12mm) including the a/c control unit
- once the part is loose from the main dash, unplug the switches and the a/c unit at the back and you should look into a big hole like on the picture.
- unbolt the ashtray and take it out.

As Haynes manual would say: installation is the reverse ... bla ... bla ...

It takes some 'guts' to pull on that plastic part with the needed strength and the a/c unit is particularly hard to get out (and back in ...) without breaking and scratching it or its surroundings. But it's possible.

Good luck.

Artern is about 210km from my place - and it has bad memories associated since whenever you get caught e.g. speeding on a highway in Thuringia the letter with the ticket comes from there.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts