Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Entourage, that has had power door issues, a/c knocking sound that still isn't fixed even after multiple dealer visits, light dimming which recently started, goes through brakes, vibrates on braking because the rotors need to always be re-machined, the list goes on. My simple question is, are you still happy with your Enourage considering now that honeymoon of owning a new vehicle is over and the warranty has expired. More importantly though, will you buy another Hyundai vehicle after this experience. Honestly, the moment that I have issues that cost me money I will dump the van, it's mainly driven by my wife for short distances for work. I actually look forward to that day. At the same time, if it lasts 10 years without a hefty repair bill, then I consider myself lucky. I despise the van, I don't like to be in or drive it, just reminds me of the issues that it has. As far as buying another Hyundai vehicle, definitely NO. Hyundai understood that they had a lemon on their hands and that's why they sold it on the cheap. What's more irritating is that I received even worse service from the dealers thru warranty, nothing was fixed permanently, always went back for the same issue. As mentioned, the a/c hub was never fixed, dealt with all the time to the point that I gave up. I have a feeling that this was directive from Hyundai, to keep warranty costs low for a dud vehicle. Anyways, that's my story, amazing to see people who actually would want to buy a Hyundai, I tell everyone not to touch their cars, they will regret it later on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anyone want to trade a Entourage for a Porsche Cayman or Cayenne??

I have a 2007 Entourage, that has had power door issues, a/c knocking sound that still isn't fixed even after multiple dealer visits, light dimming which recently started, goes through brakes, vibrates on braking because the rotors need to always be re-machined, the list goes on. My simple question is, are you still happy with your Enourage considering now that honeymoon of owning a new vehicle is over and the warranty has expired. More importantly though, will you buy another Hyundai vehicle after this experience. Honestly, the moment that I have issues that cost me money I will dump the van, it's mainly driven by my wife for short distances for work. I actually look forward to that day. At the same time, if it lasts 10 years without a hefty repair bill, then I consider myself lucky. I despise the van, I don't like to be in or drive it, just reminds me of the issues that it has. As far as buying another Hyundai vehicle, definitely NO. Hyundai understood that they had a lemon on their hands and that's why they sold it on the cheap. What's more irritating is that I received even worse service from the dealers thru warranty, nothing was fixed permanently, always went back for the same issue. As mentioned, the a/c hub was never fixed, dealt with all the time to the point that I gave up. I have a feeling that this was directive from Hyundai, to keep warranty costs low for a dud vehicle. Anyways, that's my story, amazing to see people who actually would want to buy a Hyundai, I tell everyone not to touch their cars, they will regret it later on.

It took me many months to get issues fixed on the (2) 2007 Entourages in the family.

My thoughts:
1: I was told a story of the people running KIA and HYUNDAI having a basically a blood feud going on between the top dogs.

I blame (most of the parts failures) on:

1: With each redesign there are issues overlooked. (Read that as a policy only buy xyz car /item in 3rd or 4th year of production!)

2: I can see a scenario due to the blood feud between the top dogs with the top KIA guy issuing a (secret) directive that all "A" quality parts be installed in the KIA version (Sedona) and all the marginal parts being earmarked for the Entourage. This being done as a way to reduce number of parts per 1,000 that would be scrapped, and by doing so make Hyundai look bad.
With this being said, Upon talking with guy who is pretty smart which works for Hyundai in a position in which he see's alot of things - He said he was not impressed with Mobis parts QC.
(Mobis being Kia/Hyundai parts supplier/division)

Another consideration so far as Hyundai dealer service department competency (OR should I say the lack of) is:

1: There were very few Entourage's sold. Something like 5k one year and 17k the next and that was it.
2: It's a Mini-Van, not many "techs" are going to have a deep interest in such compared to say a Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari.. when the thing was new, and surely not now.

(Only exception to a interest in the vehicle would be if the model was a CASH COW... meaning the same items break and you can beat flat rate, meaning the tech can make more money off that model than normal. I used to love Porsche 944 water pumps which would fail every 12-18 months until they figured out how to keep the water in the pump.

Pumps went thru so many revisions that NO ONE would stock a pump except the dealer as non of the parts houses wanted to get stuck with the previous revision once the new revision came out.

3: Any techs which "knew" the vehicle are pretty much long gone. Last Entourage was 2009 model.

4: Add to the above, 2 of the 3 dealers which worked on the car(s) were incompetent and sloppy. (And that's being nice) They secrewed up just about every thing they touched. (Really)

Longevity:

My last trip to the dealer was about a year ago, a multi month saga to get items fixed before cars went out of warranty.
Right before that:
Less than 5k miles after dealer had put a PS steering rack on while trying to diagnose a "clunking" over minor pavement ripples at low speed (Sway-Bar links) the "Seals" on the "Re-Manufactured rack they put in blew out on both sides. Lucky by that time I was on a first name basis with the Factory Service Manager for this region and got that taken care of.

Right around that remote key fob died.
About 4 months ago, Right PSD (Power Sliding Door) has ceased to operate.... PERIOD.

4 months or so about 3 weeks after the 2nd PS rack was installed got new tires @54,000 miles.... Since then I have a "Wobble" type sensation that starts as low as 25mph.

This "Wobble" /shimmy highly concerns me as reading thru posts on Edumds.com... No one ever fiqured out what the problem was AND THE FACTORY REP I HAD BEEN DEALING WITH PRIOR to this issue even rearing it's ugly head told me stories of Hyundai putting $15,000 into a Entourage /Entourages and never getting the shimmy out.

(We were talking about Entourage #2 having a shimmy since the day it was bought (used) from the dealer...) At the time with the "old" tires on Entourage #1 thought the shimmy at "speed" (Had no wobble at low speeds) was due to worn out tires.

I'm hoping the wobble/shimmy can be cured by replacing the lower A-Arm bushings. I'm hoping the posts on Edmunds.com from several years ago were due to a bad batch of bushings (Or bushings that weren't robust enough as one poster who had a 2007, forced Hyundai into swapping it out for a 2008 which didn't shimmy.

Additionally upon braking, front end shakes pretty good. (Toeing the car in really helped btw)

This wobble being highly dependent upon road surface (amount of drag) btw, older surfaces actually less noticeable.
(The dealer aligned the car after doing each rack, upon checking it it was toed out by 8mm or so, when it should be zero. )

I did a "quick" toe check and adjusted the toe, to about 3mm in.

Since then wobble is better.

Print out from dealer showed it was toe-ed so I'm thinking the bushings are bad @ less than 60k miles.

I could go on, but it's way late here.

Oh, A Hyundai "labeled" "Interstate" Battery dealer installed 02-2011 died about a week ago suddenly. Since it has a Hyundai label on it Interstate wouldn't warranty it, and warranty thru Hyundai is only (2) yrs?

I could go on, but it's way late here.

PS: I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan which is nine years older has more than twice the mileage of the Entourage and it drives much better and has been less problematic.

Anyone want to trade a Entourage for (First choice) a Porsche Cayman OR (second choice) Porsche Cayenne?

All Cayenne Models - All Porsche Models - HOME - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

All Cayman Models - All Porsche Models - HOME - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

2006_Cayman-S.jpg

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well I wouldn't judge the brand based on your experience with the Entourage. I've owned many Hyundai's and have been extremely happy with them. Only time will tell on our 2008 Entourage. We have 70k+ miles on it and little things are happening. As long as no major repair bills happen we definitely made the right choice. A comparably equipped Honda or Toyota was significantly more, shorter warranty, and from my research before purchasing the Entourage, well they certainly had their share of problems. If we can get a couple more reasonably trouble free years out of the Entourage then it was a great purchase. At this point I'm somewhat undecided though. Tires have been our biggest expense seeing as that we're on the 3rd set. Hopefully this set lasts a little longer than the prior 2.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well I wouldn't judge the brand based on your experience with the Entourage.
As someone who turned wrenches (worked on cars) for a living for 20+ yrs - I can say 2 of the 3 dealerships the cars were at were sloppy, incompetent to the ninth degree.

Sloppy is one thing....

So far as the incompetence.... As it is related to the number of "techs" that are familiar with the Entourage. The Entourage is a "rare" car, they didn't sell well and thru attrition those numbers are lessening by the day.

Another strike against the Entourage, is it's a "Mini-Van"... Most techs have all the passion towards a "Min-Van" most people have towards a refrigerator or a washing machine.

That's why I would recommend to anyone who's "out of warranty" unless you have a AAA+ dealer is that you should see if a KIA dealership would work on it.
(I would bet you the average KIA tech sees 2-3 or more Sedona's coming thru the shop. Hyundia "tech" might see one every 4 weeks due to the Sedona selling in far greater numbers and being in production for 6 years.
(KIA SEDONA =2006-2012)

*(2) of the dealers were downright SLOPPY.... the 3rd the factory reps "go to dealer" I would rate pretty good.
(Factory Rep was involved by dealer #3)

Regarding the Hyundai line up (Excluding the Entourage)

I remember the first time I saw a clutch pack on a 1986 Hyundai Elanta?.... They've come a long ways since then. So far as them being on the same level as Honda, Toyota (can't kill them, run forever)... Time will tell.

I've owned many Hyundai's and have been extremely happy with them. Only time will tell on our 2008 Entourage. We have 70k+ miles on it and little things are happening. As long as no major repair bills happen we definitely made the right choice. A comparably equipped Honda or Toyota was significantly more, shorter warranty
I haven't done alot of research on pricing - but aren't Hyundai's 20-30% cheaper than other brands?

Trying to figure out how they can be "cheaper", have a longer warranty to boot.

The problem I see with the Entourage was it just didn't sell in numbers (And I think I read it was scrapped on the drawing board, then rushed? into production.) The "numbers" aspect being important in getting competent service.

, and from my research before purchasing the Entourage, well they certainly had their share of problems. If we can get a couple more reasonably trouble free years out of the Entourage then it was a great purchase.
My parents bought bought the cars, (1) brand new, it maybe only being on the market a yr or so.

Hard to "research", especially with them being elderly (and doing impulse buying)

(#1 had been in Hyundai inventory for IIRC almost 18 months... The things weren't selling!)

At this point I'm somewhat undecided though. Tires have been our biggest expense seeing as that we're on the 3rd set. Hopefully this set lasts a little longer than the prior 2.
I'd like to hear more on the tires, any alignment issues you are having.

Oh, a couple of days after my prior post on a car with 63k miles... bought NEW, GARAGE kept since day one, only recently being parked outside noticed=

STEERING WHEEL LEATHER = LEATHER is CUT from the INSIDE.

First blamed it on the wife (ring cutting it), second thought was "natural" cracking and wear.
(Wheel looks like NEW- EG: =No appreciable wear)

Upon closer inspection the "cracks" are PERFECTLY SPACED.

Looks to me like when they "stretched" the leather stretching tool CUT into the leather.

PS: IIRC I think the wheel complete was $854, maybe $600 online.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am convinced we made to right choice in the Entourage. We purchased our 08 Limited new with every option for $23,500 at the end of the 08 model year. We wanted a new van and wanted it loaded. Obviously couldn't get near new a Honda/Toyota for the price. Aside from power doors that occasionally act goofy when parked on a hill, it has been flawless for 60K miles. It's quiet, fast, and a pleasure to drive. We've recently started pulling our 3,400lbs boat on occasion when we need the extra seating that I don't have in the truck. I was skeptical, but it pulls, stops and handles the boat with ease. Very impressed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
One of the "Pro's in the "Pro's and Con's column WAS the fact you could get access to shop manuals, view what WARRANTY work had been done to a car, AND view TSB's (Techinal Service Bulletins) AND "Safety Campaign info" on Hyundai branded vehicles.

As of 2013-13-20 Hyundai has done away with free access. Now owners of Hyundai branded vehicles have to PAY @ a business rate for personal use.

My interest at this date was to snag a copy of "Campaign 115" TSB which relates to the front suspension lower a-arms rusting out. A serious safety related issue.

Now I know people will say:

A: They are trying to protect their *dealers.
B: Other manufacturers are charging, but this is just wrong UNLESS you have a SHOP /are in business repairing for PROFIT.

• 1 Week Service Information Access - $20
  • 1 Month Service Information Access - $60
  • 1 Year Service Information Access - $300
  • Re-flash J-2534 (per download) - $75
  • Locksmith (Per VIN) - $12

The above rates are more inline with "Business" type use access.

Only shops that are accessing the info on a regular basis should be hit up with such charges.

They should have "Personal" and Business" type access. "Personal" being included with "registration" of your vehicle.

BTW: I think it's CRAPPY that non-warranty service ticket info is not uploaded to HMCService. I think it should be a requirement ALL service that has been done on the car be "viewable". As it is now "service ticket info" stays at dealer and does not become part of the permanent record. If you were for example to buy a used car unless those records are in the glove box you have NO way to ascertain if the vehicle has been properly serviced.

I can see used car dealers "removing" service tickets previous owner left in car on purpose if those tickets indicated lack of service, or say electrical problems that were never fixed.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'd like to hear more on the tires, any alignment issues you are having.

No alignment issues. The original tires lasted 30-35k or so miles. Then we got a set of Michelins (don't recall what type) that barely lasted 20k miles. Two of the tires were shot and two still had some life left, but we decided to replace all four at one time. I will say on the set of Michelins we did pull a big Uhaul trailer from PA to SC to maybe pulling a weighted down trailer for 650 miles wore them out quicker than normal???

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my 07 used 23 months ago. Since then have had alternator, a/c compressor, sub-frame bushings, sway bar link, timing chain cover gaskets all replaced. The van want fairly low mileage when we bought it 108000 kms which should be fine in this era of vehicle. Luckily I bought an extended warranty because to date there has been over $5500.00 worth of work done. I only have one month left on the warranty and that scares me. The front end is clunking again, and December started the 'intermittent no start' situation. The a/c compressor is making noise when on defrost, and the power sliding doors have been a problem since day one. I hate this van! I actually asked a woman I saw at Home Depot who had the same van what she thought of it. She said 'not so great! Do you want me to tell you what to expect to go wrong? I have a list a mile long!' It's truly unbelievable to me that any vehicle can be this bad!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Our Entourage had been sitting unused for a few months according to the previous owners and they were using a much older Dodge Caravan instead, which did strike me as odd at the time!

The van had been used for ferrying kids around and I think the guy used it for DIY supply purposes as it was in pretty dirty/filthy condition. You could see that nothing was damaged or broken and that a decent valet service would have the van looking pretty smart once cleaned up.

When looking over the van I noticed that the front tires were virtually bald and there were some boxes of fuses in the ashtray. I suspected that the van had suffered from some sort of electric gremlins at some point but during the times that I looked at the van (on two occasions) everything worked perfectly.

A few weeks later, there were some weird starting – or lack of starting issues. This was eventually found to be intermittent no start/ no crank. The dealer said it was a bad negative earth terminal. So much for that! One IPS module bypass later, the van starts each and every time, well, bar an incident last summer when the starter jammed!

After the IPS module issue, we suffered from the door actuator problem, on the driver’s side, $14.xx later and an hour of my time that was resolved.

We had a few lights blow and bulbs were changed – some of the contacts in the rear lights were treated to a good spray of WD40 and have been fine ever since.

There is a problem with the clear coat peeling off on all of the (upper) plastic surfaces of the van – apart from the bumpers. I’ve never seen that happen to this extent on any vehicle that I’ve owed, however the van is in Florida and it’s cherry red, so I guess that’s the worst case scenario. Almost every Sedona or Entourage in our local area, that’s a few years old, has the same problem with clear coat peeling. Something is definitely wrong with the clear coat on these vans! I’m not going to pay to do anything about it at the end of the day but it would be nice if Hyundai did some sort of gesture to rectify it.

The next problem that reared it’s head was the AIR BAG light coming on. This was checked at the dealers and they couldn’t check the system until the battery was changed. They said the battery was not strong enough to do the test. The battery that was installed did not show any signs of being about to fail but a few weeks later the van did need to be jump started, so a new one was sourced via Advance Auto Parts and the dealer cleared the code free of charge. This was probably because the van had to have $800 of paint work done, after one of the neighbours scraped his car along the side of our van! No real damage, just scraped paint thankfully.

Last week the keyless remote just decided to crap out. The LED lights up but doesn’t do anything even although the battery has been changed. Looks like we need a new one!

When the van was getting the AIR BAG light reset and checking the keyless remote the dealer commented that there was an oil leak over the alternator. The oil is not running down as far as I could tell but has dried or hardened onto the outer surface of the alternator. They said they could change the gasket for around $400 but I think I’ll just do it myself, as the rocker cover gaskets are only about $14 on eBay.

So, in summary, we’ve probably had more issues with this van than any other vehicle that we’ve owned to be honest!

I’ve owned 3 other Hyundai cars in the past, in general, they were very reliable and trouble free. My mother has a KIA and that has been good other than requiring warranty service for a defective crankshaft pulley.

If I had paid a higher price for the van than the $6000, I would probably have been pretty pissed off/unimpressed with it. As it stands right now, it has had a lot of smaller issues that have been relatively easy to resolve. If this was my only experience of Hyundai/KIA I would really not be too keen to buy another one.

I’ve every confidence that Hyundai normally make decent quality, reliable and economically priced vehicles but the Entourage might not make the top of that list.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2007 Entourage with about 66k miles on it. I bought it new and I regret it. Sure it was well priced, sure it had a good power train warranty. But it is frequently broken and once you get past the 6yr b2b warranty, you'll be surprised at how very few parts are covered on the power train warranty. I'm on my 3rd O2 sensor now and it officially not part of the power train!?.

Getting the car fixed takes so much time. The dealers never have the parts in store, so getting something fixed always takes two visits. They do not offer a courtesy vehicle during repairs. They save money by wasting their customers' time. This combination of low quality vehicle and low budget service annoys me to no end.

I also used to own a 2006 Hyundai Azera, I bought the two cars new in a package deal. The experience with that car was no better. I replaced that one with an Acura MDX which has been a refreshing experience both in terms of quality and service. Sure it is a more expensive car, but if you can afford it, you should do it. Hopefully this summer I will finally be able to get rid of that Entourage.

I suggest that anyone who is considering buying a Hyundai instead buys a pre-owned Toyota, Honda, Acura or Lexus for the same price and buys a third party warranty. That way you still save money and don't have the hassle of dealing with Hyundai dealers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Hyundai Entourage

I must be the lucky one because my wife and I purchased a used 2007 Entourage Limited in Feb 2008 for $24K with 24K miles and it has serviced us well since. It runs great on long trips and the third row folding seat is convenient for hauling extra luggage/bikes/etc. We currently have 130K on it and the only major service items have been tires (3 sets). I change the oil & filter/rotate tires every 5K and have a coolant and transmission fluid replacement every 30K. We owned a 2000 Chrysler T&C for 7 seven years and the tire replacement were an issue as well. From the info I've read on the internet, it seems that all minivans are rough on tires. The only issue I have is replacing headlights at least once a year and the finicky operation of the electric sliding doors. I figure I can replace a lot of headlights for the $15K difference between a Entourage and a Odyssey or a Sienna. The gas mileage is also not the best (17 city/25 hwy). The doors we've learned to live with.

We plan to drive it another 4-5 years. I've heard Kia & Hyundai owners with 3.8L V-6 engines have fuel injection issues around 170-180K miles costing around $5K-$6K to fix. If anyone has heard of or have experienced this, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, we love our Entourage. Note, we bought a 2007 but returned it under the VA lemon law. Hyundai did good by us and replaced it with a 2008 limited. We've had very good luck with it. The only thing that doesn't work is the CD player. Everything else has been fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I hate our Entourage. We have a 2008. Had problems since 15000 miles. This or that brakes and is replaced. I loved it when we bought it. But by year 2 and 30,000 miles i started to get pretty mad. Even though a lot of the failures were warrenty repaired, our "new" car had to be in the shop a lot. And now at 89,000 miles it's in the shop. It will be $1500 out of our pocket, only half the stuff covered by the extended warrenty. And the doors have been fixed multiple times. 4 times on the passenger sliding door and 3 times on the right. There's like 7 things wrong with the car, and we always have a large evap leak code going off. WTH. So anyway. I contacted Hyundai so whether I buy one again will completely depend on what they do for me. We'll see!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have 12 of the Entourages & got such good service that recently purchased 5 Kia Sedonas (don't like fact Kia has timing belt in 3.3!)

The Entourages have been trouble free with exception of rapid tire wear on front tires due to the amount of power to the wheels. Sub frame bushings begin to get loose around 80-90, 000 miles & usually cost around 700. to fix (done about 5 ) otherwise out of all of them only a few hardware problems (sliding door guide) get loose, door weatherstrips get torn - but for 150.000 miles they have been GOOD vehicles for us & on par with Hondas & Toyota vans (we religiously do maintenance) we have Hondas Toyotas Dodge & Chryslers & the Hyundais are good for our non profit org! (We take donations/cash cars etc)

These vans are driven by returning missionaries from foreign countries on state side assignment & medical emergencies & get used (& abused!)++

They, along with the Sonatas that we previously purchased in 1998 were such "pig iron tough" that I personally am looking at the Genesis 3.8!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sub frame bushings begin to get loose around 80-90, 000 miles & usually cost around 700. to fix (done about 5 )
What were they symptoms? My 07 with 110K recently started having mysterious squeaks on uneven surface in cool/cold weather but goes away when it's warm.

How long have the alternators last (on avg.) for your fleet vehicles with 3.8L?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am I still happy with Entourage?

Yes, had it for almost 3 years and absolutely no problems! I am shocked, not because I was expecting something to break down, but for the simple fact nothing has. LOL I would buy another one, unfortunately when I'm done with this one it would be hard to find another 2008 and too old by then. As far as buying another Hyundai..This is the first I've ever owned, so I haven't had the experience with them in general, I'm not sure.
One thing I'm very impressed with (among others).. the front wheel drive, even in winter, never gets stuck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts