Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to get a battery today. Walmart was recommended here. I notice Sams has them. The stores are the same owner. Are the products the same?

·
Banned
335 Posts
They should be. Nice to hear from you. How much are they asking? They have a $65 & a $75 Oxide Battery that is supposedly better.

The $65 one is fine, less CCA though. With that said I have never been in a Sam's club in my life

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was there last week. One fit my car. Not the top of the line. On my way there.

Dealer says I need one. After today's oil change and third brake light bulb. Thank goodness for the 20% off coupon.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Yes it is a very common and available Battery. I read bad things about the one for $10 more. Plus it comes with an incredible

Warranty of 4 years, full replacement in the first two, and they were super fresh. Some places sell old ones. Get it now!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SAMs doesn't have the E124r their catalog says I need. Seems the ones they have are from $60-$70. Wonder if Costco sells batteries. Or just go to walmart.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
If it were my car I would go to an Interstate dealer and get the proper one. Some of these other brands seemingly do not
last all that well. You might even try and see what the dealer offers. The price might not be that much different. I've gotten tires at the local Ford dealer less than what I could buy them at any of the various tire retailers. For mass merchandise like this the auto dealers know they have to be competitive in price. Just my thoughts on this subject.

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (rmissourimule @ Oct 16 2010, 02:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363899
If it were my car I would go to an Interstate dealer and get the proper one. Some of these other brands seemingly do not
last all that well. You might even try and see what the dealer offers. The price might not be that much different. I've gotten tires at the local Ford dealer less than what I could buy them at any of the various tire retailers. For mass merchandise like this the auto dealers know they have to be competitive in price. Just my thoughts on this subject.
Have you priced an Interstate though? Fine Battery. Got one in 95 for the Hyundai Excel @ $50. The Walmart one is a fine battery

although it doesn't have the same CCA as the OEM Battery. Loved those Interstate "Crank It" commercials! :trophy:

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Oct 16 2010, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363904
Interstate is OEM?
The dealer said factory is 600.
Who sells interstate?
Stop Suzanna. Interstate is not OEM. Our Battery is supposedly made in Yuma AZ. Not great things are made in Arizona. :innocent:

You can spend $600 at the Dealer, or $60 at Walmart. Please do the right thing. You can find Interstate locations on the Internet

or in your Bell south Yellow pages

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, there is a two hour back log. And they close at 7:00.
So, will come back in an hour or so, or try again in the morning.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
Interstate dealers should be nearly everywhere. If I am not mistaken, they also make the Sears Die Hard batteries.

Chances are the Hyundai dealer handles this brand as well right in the service shop. I'd call around and get the prices for the
same battery. Some batteries are inferior to others. I haven't priced batteries at the local dealer so can't speak to the price but as I say, a mass merchandise item such as this is usually competitively priced if the dealer is not a rip-off artist. There isn't a big deal in changing out a battery but you don't want some idiot with a greasy rag connecting it wrong and leaving you with a $1000 bill for a burned out alternator and wiring harness and Gawd knows what else.

The advantage of buying from a retailer like Wal-Mart is that they will obviously stand behind what they sell but what I don't know is the quality of their batteries sold. For all I know they might be good, but they also might be junk.

I had to buy a battery for my John Deere lawn tractor last year and the odd size was only available at the local farm dealership but it has been a good one. The main thing is to get the right battery with the right location for the negative and positive terminals. They differ this way as well as size and you want it to be secure and not moving around while you are driving it. I made the mistake of getting the wrong size one time and battery acid got outside the battery and damaged the
battery holder and some wiring. Get the right battery and get a good one even if it costs more than the el cheapo that might work for six months or a year and then quit on you. This is no place to be penny wise and pound foolish.

If the dealer told you $600 for a battery, he's a crook, or an idiot -- maybe both.

QUOTE (Suzanna @ Oct 16 2010, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363904
Interstate is OEM?
The dealer said factory is 600.
Who sells interstate?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Suzanna we have a place here called Battery Warehouse. They check your charging system and install the correct battery if it is required. Batteries are inexpensive/good quality with a warranty. They will even install it for you for free. You have to have something similar around you. Wal-Marts ok but you need to make sure they have the correct size and the terminals are tight. My guess you should be paying no more than $100 installed...maybe less.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ages ago I used to get Sears Die Hards.
My Honda needed them every two years, no matter what brand I bought.
This one has lasted four years. Noticed the last month it takes a milisecond longer to crank.

The 600 was crank amps or whatever that unit of measure, for the original battery.

I am at the mall now, there is a sears here.

After it's changed, what isn't going to work/need to be set?

·
Banned
335 Posts
Oh no in recent years DieHard Batteries have been given bad reviews, although I too think they are an Interstate product.

If Sears charges the same $65 plus tax out the door, I would be amazed. I went through plenty of them too years ago.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bought Godiva chocolate anniversary gift.
Now, back to a battery. There is another Sams that has the size it stock.
But I think at this hour, they won't have time.

Maybe walmart is my best bet. Either tonight or in the morning.

Might be dealing with a tail light that is out (see other thread).

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Change it yourself.. only need a 10mm wrench, and a 12mm socket on an extension.. take the old battery back at your convienience..

Our Hyundai Batterys come from the local Interstate battery place, but they do not look like your common green/white Interstate.. they is solid black case.. There is only a couple 2 or 3 actual battery makers, Johnson Control comes to mind right off, then slap whoever' sticker on it.

I think they are middle man for another vendor battery, and stick a Hyundai sticker on it.. They are 24F with 700 CCA.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Getting battery at walmart now.
I'm the last person of the day.
Seem happy enough to do it.
Does the radio need to be reset with a code?
They said some do.

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (Suzanna @ Oct 16 2010, 04:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363922
Bought Godiva chocolate anniversary gift.
Now, back to a battery. There is another Sams that has the size it stock.
But I think at this hour, they won't have time.

Maybe walmart is my best bet. Either tonight or in the morning.

Might be dealing with a tail light that is out (see other thread).
Happy Anniversary! Is this your chocolate? Walmart does $5 Bulb replacement. I was very impressed, although I don't like the

stores and would never think of them for auto repair. Since Florida doesn't have a Battery Trade in fee, it will be like $71 with tax.

Expect your "auto up" window not to work any more. Very east to reset. In the manual. took seconds. Also swore the Car shifted worse :innocent:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts