Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will be a good FYI for potential '14 Buyers to confirm IF you New '14 Owners have a Spare Tire & Jack in your trunk.

The '14 Optima EX's (at least) DO NOT (Canister Sealer Kit ) - and since Too Big a hole / side-wall puncture prevents Sealer use, Not having a Spare could be a real Uh-Oh.

DO Negotiate for a Kit at Sale - or - if purchased and No Spare then Google eBay and big Dealer Internet Parts sites and compare (vs) local.
Local OEM Kit here was $270 (vs) $175-$200 (total) on Internet.

(During my late '11 Plant Tour I was told that Spares would disappear some day, so looking now makes sense.)

·
22,793 Posts
Every vehicle should come with a jack. Makes absolutely NO sense to have a car without a jack. Spare tire? I'm still trying to warp my brain around the concept of selling a new car and it not having a spare tire. So, +1 on your suggestion. Wife has a spare in her '12 Tucson. I don't have one in my '13 Elantra. Didn't have one in my '11 Elantra, either. Come to think of it, I haven't had a complete tire failure in either model. Neither has the wife. We have picked up our allotment of nails, screws, etc., but always caught something amiss thru weekly pressure monitoring. And the TPMS DOES work!

But to validate your point (and it's a good one) include a spare tire and kit in your negotiation process. Trust me, it's not the first time a dealer's seen that maneuver. So much, in fact, I'd wager they have spare tires and kits in the parts department sitting on shelves, just waiting for the next deal to come through requesting one.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Run-flat tire equipped cars of course typically come with no spare. Not for me though. They must gain some fuel efficiency ratings without the weight of the spare. Not a great idea.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
And how does that help a conversation dealing with 14's? :rolleyes:
This feels like the reception line where a guy says "madam, that's the ugliest dress I've ever seen", and the woman replies, "Its so nice to see you, too." Thanks, Bearcats.

I'm Really just trying to pass on a useful FYI for '14 Owners/future '14 buyers - BECAUSE - There was/is No Spare Tire in my '14 Optima EX and my prior Hyundai Plant Tour involved a statement that Spare Tires would disappear at some point.

You, like me, could be riding around in a '14 and NOT Realize There is NO Spare in your Trunk - AND - OEM Canned Sealers supplied (vs) Spares are No Good under certain circumstances = Tow Truck and Hours (vs) Minutes of Delay IF No Spare/Jack.

Check your '14's trunk ... Maybe Hyundai still supplies spares - But I'd want to know.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
This feels like the reception line where a guy says "madam, that's the ugliest dress I've ever seen", and the woman replies, "Its so nice to see you, too." Thanks, Bearcats.

I'm Really just trying to pass on a useful FYI for '14 Owners/future '14 buyers - BECAUSE - There was/is No Spare Tire in my '14 Optima EX and my prior Hyundai Plant Tour involved a statement that Spare Tires would disappear at some point.

You, like me, could be riding around in a '14 and NOT Realize There is NO Spare in your Trunk - AND - OEM Canned Sealers supplied (vs) Spares are No Good under certain circumstances = Tow Truck and Hours (vs) Minutes of Delay IF No Spare/Jack.

Check your '14's trunk ... Maybe Hyundai still supplies spares - But I'd want to know.
OH np...I see it that way too...obviously. :D

If they are removing the jacks/spares and making them "options", do they at least have the courtesy of giving you run flats to start off with? I am guessing no...

All they need is that one customer that gets stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere and something bad happens and it gets traced back by text or email that there was no emergency equipment in the car. Not a smart cost cutting move. They should just up the cost of the car by the amount it takes to put the "kit" in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
2013 Elantra, no spare just canister and pump.
Daughter hit a large rock @ 3:00 am in the mountains on her way to work, and was stranded. Even the State police would not help. Hyundai should be held responsible for this type of thing. Somebody will eventially lose a life over this no spare deal!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
When I purchased my car in June, the rep that sold me my car was explaining to me that Hyundai and a few other companies are trying to get away from the spare tire all together for a weight reason and also because we are also lucky enough to have the assurance and essentials package available to us.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
From Edmunds review of the 2014 Sonata GLS.... 2014 Hyundai Sonata GLS PZEV Sedan 2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic Features and Specs

Tires and Wheels

• Alloy wheels
  • 16 x 6.5 in. wheels
  • Steel spare wheel
  • P205/65R16 tires
  • All season tires
  • Inside mounted spare tire
  • Temporary spare tire
Also this listing for a 2014 GLS available at a dealer also shows a spare http://www.tameronhyundai.com/new/2014-Hyundai-Sonata-GLS-5NPEB4AC8EH826220

..........and this you tube video mentions a compact spare tire as well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My 2014 has a temporary (compact) spare wheel and jack in a nicely molded foam carrier, packed conveniently and efficiently within the spare.

I think the spare wheel well is big enough to place a full-size spare in it. Although frankly, I don't mind the compact spare. For an item you may never use, the compact size is fine... It weighs less than a full size wheel/tire, so might save a little gas. Yet it's there if ever needed in a pinch.

My other car has a full-size spare that sat in the trunk beyond it's 10-year certified life... never used.

Glad I picked the Sonata over the Optima (I guess).:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Spare and jack

Got a Hancook temporary spare and scissors type jack in mine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Blame the tree huggers in Washington.

Seriously? It's the tree huggers fault? That's one of the dumbest things I have heard in awhile.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi...new member here but noticed this posting and wanted to reply, if it's of any help.
We rented (through Budget) a 2013 in Dec 2013, and it did have a spare tire and jack because that's where they hide the owners manual (so we could figure out features in the vehicle). We purchased a 2014 a couple weeks ago and after reading he discussion here, I had to look, but it did have a jack and baby spare.
Just my observation...thanks

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Seriously? It's the tree huggers fault? That's one of the dumbest things I have heard in awhile.
Yes. Seriously. The EPA mandates minimum fuel economy requirements. Car makers are doing everything they can to squeeze every last MPG out of cars now days. In 2025, cars will be required to get 54mph. Obongo signed this into law.

They're also the reason we have to use sh1tty ethanol gas.

Your government is hard at work for you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts