Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about this? I have a chance to buy a set at a good price, but I am not sure on the fitment. The tire sizes don't seem like a prefect match. 16's are 205/65/16 and the 18's are 225/45/18. According to a tire calculator the 18's have about 1.64 in. LESS circumference then the 16's. I definitley don't want my wheel well filled in less. And I believe this will create a speedo problem.

Has anyone tried this yet or know for sure what would need to be done to correct the speedo? Bigger tire on the 18 maybe?

Also, does the SE have a lower ride height then the GLS?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I just checked the tire calculator I've used before and the difference would cause your speedo to be off by 2% too fast. So when you're speedo shows 60 mph, you are actually going 58.8mph. The general rule of thumb is to keep it within 5%. So to answer your question, yes the SE wheels would be a "direct bolt on." Does the GLS have TPMS? That is the only thing you would have to make sure was either on the tires of the SE or that you swap it over from the GLS if your car has it. I know the SE has a different suspension, but I don't believe it rides lower, at least not noticeably. IMO, jump on the deal. You will love the look of the SE wheels :thumbsup:

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (alex2006sonata @ Jul 6 2010, 12:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339133
I just checked the tire calculator I've used before and the difference would cause your speedo to be off by 2% too fast. So when you're speedo shows 60 mph, you are actually going 58.8mph. The general rule of thumb is to keep it within 5%. So to answer your question, yes the SE wheels would be a "direct bolt on." Does the GLS have TPMS? That is the only thing you would have to make sure was either on the tires of the SE or that you swap it over from the GLS if your car has it. I know the SE has a different suspension, but I don't believe it rides lower, at least not noticeably. IMO, jump on the deal. You will love the look of the SE wheels :thumbsup:
wrong..the SE is lower, although not by much

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 6 2010, 07:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339175
wrong..the SE is lower, although not by much
Is it the same as the limited? I parked right next to a limited yesterday and the car had a slightly lower stance than my GLS. Probably the big **** tires on the GLS.

BTW anything can be direct bolt on as long as it "bolts on" ie same bolt pattern. If your question is are they the same diameter well probably not. Doesn't really make a huge difference though, people do it all the time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I purchased some SE wheels for my GLS. I plan on also putting on the shark racing springs to lower it. I'll let you know about the speedo and such. I'm imagining it's not going to be off by much at all (2%?). But I'll let you know how it goes. I think the SE looks a lot better lowered too. I got an GLS because I wanted a manual, I think it's dumb the manual only comes in base.

·
Registered
675 Posts
QUOTE (hqen2000 @ Jul 6 2010, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339222
I purchased some SE wheels for my GLS. I plan on also putting on the shark racing springs to lower it. I'll let you know about the speedo and such. I'm imagining it's not going to be off by much at all (2%?). But I'll let you know how it goes. I think the SE looks a lot better lowered too. I got an GLS because I wanted a manual, I think it's dumb the manual only comes in base.

Hey hgen2000,
You might want to check the - Marketplace/ For Sale - section for those lowering springs. Another Sonata owner is selling his from Shark Racing. You could probably save alot of dough. http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t50510-neo-t...ndai-sonata.htm

·
Registered
717 Posts
They should be a good fit for the gls. I was trying to buy a limited with the SE wheels but man the dealership wanted $$$$$ for the SE wheels. Anyways I am waiting for others to come out with some springs for this car. I am sure the shark racing ones will work for some but I would prefer a larger company to back up my suspension.

·
Registered
424 Posts
wow u plan to lower it with the stock oem 18' wheels ?why didn't u just get the ones I have? fits way more better with stronger stance especially once u lower it, it would have been cheaper to.

anyways enjoy your wheels.

QUOTE (hqen2000 @ Jul 6 2010, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339222

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (alex2006sonata @ Jul 5 2010, 11:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339133
Yes the GLS does have TPMS. And it turns out the SE wheels WON'T have the sensors attached. Are you saying its possible to switch over the TPMS sensors from the GLS wheels to the SE wheels? I bet the tire shop will charge a premium for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts