Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks just a quick question. I want to see what the general consensus is on engine oil flushes/fuel additives are on here. It will ultimately make up my decision on whether to use one or not.

I've heard that you can use engine flush on a car just before an oil change to remove old oil deposits in engines. Is this really true? I've also read that this should be done on new/newish cars and not really old ones as flushing out the engine could remove a blockage that was stopping the oil bleeding out in the first place.

Also about fuel cleaners. I do know how to remove the fuel injectors to clean them etc but to make it a bit easier can you use the additives poured in your fuel tank to help?

I was reading on the Halfords web site that several people got good results. Whether it was placebo or not. I don't want to wreck my engine if it's not worth it. My car has done 35,000 miles.

Your answers are much appreciated.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I use a good quality fuel additive a week or two before my oil change. Chevron Techron, Gumout with Regane and Redline SL1 are all good options. I never use an engine flush not needed with good quality oils.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried a fuel additive shortly after I bought my secondhand i10, have to say I didn't really notice any difference before and after. Notice more of a difference from driving at 60 mph rather than 70 mph!

My partner seemed to notice a small positive change when we tried the additive in their car, though. Maybe because their car has done 100k miles and mine had only done 35k.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Personally i would not bother. These things are just snake oil.

Money maker for garages.Regular oil changes with good quality oil and good quality fuels should be fine.

I personally do an intermediate oil and filter change on my i10 at 6000 miles.
Probably over the top but as i plan on keeping it long term and then passing it down the family chain i am happy with that.

Certainly worked in the past where i have run several vehicles of various makes to around the 200000 mile mark with no engine issues.

however each to their own.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Short answer no.
Engine flush additives just before an oil change, when the filter is already probably blocked just means you are pumping any loosened crud further into the bearings and oil galleries. Use quality engine oil, doesn't have to be 'top shelf' synthetics, and change it on a regular schedule, for your area probably just as winter sets in and again in summer.
As for injector cleaners, I've used them a couple of times in the wifes car, never noticed any improvement, for the same amount of extra money you can usually fill the tank with Premium fuel which has added cleaners and higher octane and at least makes her Accent run smoother.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Most fuel and oil additives are snake oil and at most have a placebo effect. Engine flushes, well, only a last resort if engine is really sludged up or other symptoms, not a maintenance item one would normally ever do. Mostly just a money maker for the service dept. Fuel additives mostly snake oil as well, a few may work but for the most part money wasted. I know Hyundai recommends one every 7500 if not using top tier gas but questionable results IMO

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would never put a flush in an engine. Too risky and in the opinion of many could lead to more problems than good.

As for fuel additive, I do add a bottle of Gumout or Techron once a year. I think it is good preventive maintenance for the fuel system.

My mother has a Ford Focus which is driven conservatively and she uses the cheapest gas she can get her hands on. Usually the car starts running rough at the end of winter. A bottle of fuel cleaner solves the problem. If she used a good brand of gasoline she may not have the issue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dear I haven't noticed any big difference before and after changing the engine oil of my car. But the fact is that if the engine oil is not of a good quality then it might be a required issue to carry out engine flush to completely empty the engine before pouring new engine oil.
But if a good quality engine oil is used, then no need of flushing will be observed and the car will run smooth without any trouble.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all :) I do change the oil regularly and use the specified quality etc. I'll have a peer into the top of the engine with a light one day and see if I can see the top of the head.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts