Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m in the market for a car. I’ve always known Toyota corollas and Honda Civics to be extremely reliable. There’s some very nice Hyundai elantras in my area as well. And looking for info online they seem to be very Reliable as well. But I feel first hand experience are the best. Could anyone tell me if the Elantra’s are as reliable as Toyota’s and Honda? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
My answer is yes and no. It depends on the year. The 6 speed transmission seems bullet proof or very reliable. Engines is where Hyundai is having some issues. Like failure of engine needing replacement. My experience is Toyota and Honda had some bad years also. My 2017 Elantra has been rock solid but at 11,000 miles not enough data to draw long term conclusions.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We starting to replace engines in UD/MD Elantra for knock.. They eat/destroy tires on rear due to silly Hyundai fixed align values that amount to "if the wheels still attached to car,, it in spec" (do search for tires/align)

Trans hold up well,, put a bunch of trans temp sensor-wire harness in past, seems to have slowed down..

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
We starting to replace engines in UD/MD Elantra for knock.. They eat/destroy tires on rear due to silly Hyundai fixed align values that amount to "if the wheels still attached to car,, it in spec" (do search for tires/align)

Trans hold up well,, put a bunch of trans temp sensor-wire harness in past, seems to have slowed down..
Hello my old friend. Sorry I've been off for so long. Had a lot of personal things going on. Glad to see you're still here and giving awesome advice as always.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hello my old friend. Sorry I've been off for so long. Had a lot of personal things going on. Glad to see you're still here and giving awesome advice as always.
Elantra doing ok ?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Elantra doing ok ?
Quite well, yes. Did ruin 3 rims this past winter with all the potholes so just bought x4 replacements and first set of tires at 68k,so I'm quite pleased. No issues since we last spoke other than pads and rotors!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, I have found it to be the most reliable car that I have ever owned . The only complaint that I have is with it's seat cover, the material is itchy . However this is a problem only in the summer months when I don't wear a coat. This is a 2006 Elantra, so I don't know what the material is like in the new Elantras

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The year would either be a 2013 or a 2016. My biggest concern is it would be an 5 or 6 year loan unfortunately. I just want to make sure that once it’s paid off that the car will be something that will last. He 2016 is 11,900 with 23k miles. The 2013 is 10,900 with 43k miles. I feel the 2016 would be a better deal. I just know nothing about hydundai as a company and reliability.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The year would either be a 2013 or a 2016. My biggest concern is it would be an 5 or 6 year loan unfortunately. I just want to make sure that once it’s paid off that the car will be something that will last. He 2016 is 11,900 with 23k miles. The 2013 is 10,900 with 43k miles. I feel the 2016 would be a better deal. I just know nothing about hydundai as a company and reliability.

There is no savings in buying used instead of new. The money that will be spent on repairs on a used car, will end up costing more than if you had purchased a new car. I know that I said in an earlier post that Elantra was the most reliable car that I ever owned but that is only because I purchased it new. I know this from experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can’t be afford to buy a new vehicle. The 2016 s only 2 years old and close to 10k cheaper then new wirh only 23k miles. So your saying your elentra is only reliable because of the warranty and not be suse then car it’s self is reliable?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can’t be afford to buy a new vehicle. The 2016 s only 2 years old and close to 10k cheaper then new wirh only 23k miles. So your saying your elentra is only reliable because of the warranty and not be suse then car it’s self is reliable?

Elantra's come with a five year warranty, so a 2 year old Elantra would still have 3 years left on its warranty . The car is reliable. If it only has 23k then I think that you should be alright . It is a high mileage car , over 100,000k, that I would be worried about because then every part would need to be replaced on the car . With only 23k and 3 years left still on the warranty I think that you will be okay. Elantra is a good car and my next car will also be an Elantra as well.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
According to my search online, the warranty is only good for the original owner and is not transferable. Thank you for your replies.
In the USA, the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty doesnt transfer, unless you but it Cetified pre owned. The 5 year 60,000 mile warranty is good for all owners.
I have 125,000 miles on my 2011, with no major problems.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I bought my 2013 elantra because it's just as reliable as a toyota, comes with more features, and is way cheaper. I'm not really a fan of Honda anymore. My old car was a '97 civic, and I think they did things right back then, but today their cars are incredibly overpriced for what you get.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2012 Elantra with over 120k miles on it. I passed it on to my daughter last year. The only thing that I have had to have done outside of regular maintenance is to replace a grommet in the steering wheel last year. Absolutely love that car.

I bought a 2017 Elantra new and just couldn't get used to the re-design (perfectly good car, just a matter of personal taste), so I traded it in for a 2015 a couple of weeks ago with less than 8,000 miles.

Myke and Peter are correct. However the 5 years begins when the car was originally titled, so make sure you look into that. In my case, that means I only have about one year left under the warranty, but based on my experience with my 2012, I have no real concerns about that. You will definitely be better off with the 2016 in that respect.

I'm also with Cyprus on the Hondas. Great cars, but you're going to pay more for the name and reputation.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got a 2016 with 3k miles on it .

I abuse it daily now at 30k miles of NYC driving.
No issues but front pads and rotors .
Change oil every 3k and put gas in it.
I plan on driving it for another 170k miles
My friend has an 2009 elantra with 230k on it. bought it brand new and was used for a company car !

3 timing belts 70 , 140 and 210 , shocks at 170k .
Alternator at 120k
Water pump at 100k
oild change every 3k

I drove it the other day , it drives like a charm

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would go with the 2016. Improved sound insulation than my 2013. A little more refined i think. My 2013 has had 0 problems. 73000 Kilometers/ 43000 miles and just tires and brakes and fluid changes.

·
Registered
378 Posts
2012, 135k. Have changed fluids, battery, tires, and one accessory belt.

Road noise is a bit high, it rides a bit like a tin can, it eats tires at a heightened rate, but overall a great car. I've owned it longer than any other car I have ever had. MPG is good.

Reactions: Racho Osmokracho

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish I would I could save my 2012 elantra was reliable. Transmission replaced at 80k, intermittent P2096 codes that the dealership attempted to fix more times I can count, driver side wheel bearing and just recently some fun misfire codes. It has about 100k miles, pretty much all easy highway. I'm not sure if I'd ever get another Hyundai after this car.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles Ren. No car is perfect, I hope you get that P2096 fixed too (my coworker just had that pop up, since I'm active in these forums I pointed him right to the dealership and his is now fixed, we'll see if it returns again).

I forgot to include some other car brands in cars I like. Toyota, hyundai/kai, honda are all great, but I've heard good stuff about subaru's as well. just as I typed this up, I pulled up this article, and it supports my theory.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ion/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

I found it interesting that luxury car brands rank so much higher on that list. everyone I known who's owned a lexus has liked them, but everyone I've known who's owned an audi later found out that they were a POS. My sample size in my car reliability analysis is 3-10 cars per brand, consummer reports definitely has a better data set - trust the experts.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts