Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question: Are DRL controlled via CANBUS or PWM?

Looking to get LED high beams, but need to figure what my options are for proper DRL and high beams.

My older Celica uses a more analog system of relays and a resistor to reduce the voltage of the high beams for DRL use.

I could not see any resistor in the schematic for the Elantra so was curious of the specific method used to reduce the output.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Apples and oranges...

Canbus is a way that electronic modules communicate with each other.
PWM is one method that can be used to limit power to a load, such as a bulb.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
i tried that. there are a couple of problems with led hi beams. first off, drl is the high beam on lower voltage. most led wont do that, and if they do, then when on real hi, the light output is worse than halogen. however, the biggest problem i had is fit. i believe the bulb is an H7. on our cars, it is held in place by a wire clip. the bulb i got had a cooling fan on the back of the bulb, and there is no way the wire clip can clear the fan housing. the later gen led bulbs can perform at low voltage for drl, and on hi beam like a hi beam should. they also need cooling, and some come with a fan, some with ribbon heat sinks. i have not tried the ribbon ones.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apples and oranges...
Canbus is a way that electronic modules communicate with each other.
PWM is one method that can be used to limit power to a load, such as a bulb.
Understood. I was thinking the CANBUS would communicate with the circuit that does the PWM. Everything on this car seems to run thru some sort of IPS or Smart Junction Box BCM etc.. :surprise:

i tried that. there are a couple of problems with led hi beams. first off, drl is the high beam on lower voltage. most led wont do that, and if they do, then when on real hi, the light output is worse than halogen. however, the biggest problem i had is fit. i believe the bulb is an H7. on our cars, it is held in place by a wire clip. the bulb i got had a cooling fan on the back of the bulb, and there is no way the wire clip can clear the fan housing. the later gen led bulbs can perform at low voltage for drl, and on hi beam like a hi beam should. they also need cooling, and some come with a fan, some with ribbon heat sinks. i have not tried the ribbon ones.
Is it actually lower voltage or a PWM of 12VDC? There is a very subtle difference, but the end result is the same.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

They are indeed H7. I have the braided heatsink style in mine. They have been in a couple of years now. They do run at a reduced output in DRL mode and brighten with hi beams. But they do run brighter in DRL than the halogens. I found it easier to install with the housings off so I could see the wire clip better. For the past few months I've been running with the DRL's off. Just my preference. Never been a fan of them running a headlight bulb.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
There are bulbs by Morimoto called 2-strokes. They will function as DRL and High beam with DRL being lower voltage and output and high beam being BRIGHT as well. They are pricey compared to most LED bulbs, but get the job done. As far as fitment, many LED have a metal ring that you put in and put the wire clip on. Then slide the LED in. Some modification may be necessary, but can work. Otherwise, you could get a DRL Delete harness and have just high beams. Some DRL delete harnesses give wiring to add some other lights(led strip or whatever) if you want to keep the DRL function.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are indeed H7. I have the braided heatsink style in mine. They have been in a couple of years now. They do run at a reduced output in DRL mode and brighten with hi beams. But they do run brighter in DRL than the halogens. I found it easier to install with the housings off so I could see the wire clip better. For the past few months I've been running with the DRL's off. Just my preference. Never been a fan of them running a headlight bulb.
What brand/ type did you get? Did they fit in the housing with the dust cover installed and most importantly, how do they perform?

There are bulbs by Morimoto called 2-strokes. They will function as DRL and High beam with DRL being lower voltage and output and high beam being BRIGHT as well. They are pricey compared to most LED bulbs, but get the job done. As far as fitment, many LED have a metal ring that you put in and put the wire clip on. Then slide the LED in. Some modification may be necessary, but can work. Otherwise, you could get a DRL Delete harness and have just high beams. Some DRL delete harnesses give wiring to add some other lights(led strip or whatever) if you want to keep the DRL function.
I've seen some LED's that the heat sink can unscrew allowing the installation of the OEM clip. I have not heard or seen a DRL delete harness with output wires for adding the DRL elsewhere. That would be a very nice option to consider as I've been eyeballing these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-New-L...rentrq:70c849851640a9c9f4c1f26dffeeca33|iid:1

and the delete harness you mention seems like a nice way to do this.....

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
What brand/ type did you get? Did they fit in the housing with the dust cover installed and most importantly, how do they perform?

No brand name, but these did have the H7 sleeve you lock in and they just slide the LED in afterwards. No dustcovers (don't need). And happy with the performance for the most part. I just hate they style of DRL and turn them off.

I've eyeballed these for years. My only though is, how to wire them for DRL and signals. I can't find anything on a DRL delete for the Elantra.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
For the Sonata, SharkRacing makes this:
2011-2014 Sonata DRL-Delete Wire Harness - Shark Racing

However, doesn't look to be available for the Elantra. Maybe look around and see if someone/somewhere else has done this. Otherwise, you could make your own....have to find out what the voltage is for DRL and High beam and have relay setup so that if DRL voltage, then send power down a wire, if High beam voltage then send power to OEM socket.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the Sonata, SharkRacing makes this:
2011-2014 Sonata DRL-Delete Wire Harness - Shark Racing

However, doesn't look to be available for the Elantra. Maybe look around and see if someone/somewhere else has done this. Otherwise, you could make your own....have to find out what the voltage is for DRL and High beam and have relay setup so that if DRL voltage, then send power down a wire, if High beam voltage then send power to OEM socket.
I own a copy of the Hyundai electrical shop manual [Pub. No. A3XE-EU3NB]. The voltage for the headlights on my car come directly from IPS 1 ARUSU-LT (4 CH) & IPS 4 ARUSU-LT (4 CH). These points go straight to the IPS Control Module control circuit. It seems these are all houses in the "Smart Junction Box" but I see no evidence of relays in this circuit. I am trying to find info on the IPS control module. I will admit, I am still learning the cars wiring and this particular book. lol

In my experience if your not sure of how a circuit works it's not wise to assume and attempt something that could damage it. :|

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got the Sonata DRL delete/reroute kit; it's definitely a different plug design, but the pinout's the same. All it is, is a 5-pin NO relay (normally open, for those who don't yet know the jargon), wired in series to the main beam/DRL input at the #30 pin (main beam picks up at #87), grounded at #85, and triggers in parallel from the dipped (low) beam to close the main beam. The kit also uses an inline diode, on one end parallel with the DRL and the other the position light feed, so the output allows for an auxilliary LED feed (ground feed wired to the common ground). If you're not afraid of modifying your own harness, you can wire the delete yourself for less than the $60 USD for the Sonata kit!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Simple question: Are DRL controlled via CANBUS or PWM?

Looking to get LED high beams, but need to figure what my options are for proper DRL and high beams.

My older Celica uses a more analog system of relays and a resistor to reduce the voltage of the high beams for DRL use.

I could not see any resistor in the schematic for the Elantra so was curious of the specific method used to reduce the output.
does your car have the projector beams with the led drl with the park lights? i know the later cars have them, when the park lights are on, that eyebrow/wing thingy lights up. it is opaque, whereas normally it is white plastic. i have a set, but the led dont come on with drl, only with park lamps. would be nice if they did come on as drl, then the hi beams would not have to be dual purpose.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not very happy with the high beams outpit but the DRL look great .
Not sure the street has street lights I need to see how they work at complete darkness.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Not sure the street has street lights I need to see how they work at complete darkness.
are you saying that on normal high beam, there is not better output that normal halogen? because that is the main complaint about led drl bulbs. i would rather have output on high than on drl

·
Registered
71 Posts
are you saying that on normal high beam, there is not better output that normal halogen? because that is the main complaint about led drl bulbs. i would rather have output on high than on drl
Halogen highbeam output is better than the LEDs posted earlier I think but I rarely use it so in my case would be fine.
You can't expect much from a $35 set of bulbs I guess.
You get what you pay for.
In the future I'll be looking for an HID kit or a
https://gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting-ultra-series-led-headlight-bulbs-h8-h9-h11-3rd-generation/
GTR kit , they say its the best on You tube but only from one channel and it seems they are pushing GTR bubls only so i cant trust them.

If anyone has the GTR V3 Ultimate for the low beams please post here.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

That's a typical response to this type of LED. Low power and not heatsink. They are good for DRL's or maybe running lights.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
That's a typical response to this type of LED. Low power and not heatsink. They are good for DRL's or maybe running lights.
actually, there are led's that will work in both environments. the problem i had was mounting them. because of the fan base, i could not get the clip that holds the bulb in position. and they were in the 35 buck range

1 - 20 of 25 Posts