Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you still have the file Windows PC not MAC) available to re-share? I just bought a 2017 Santa Fe SE and I need to update to CarPlay for a roadtrip.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
821 Posts
So I'm guessing there is no way to get Carplay on a '16 model?
Unfortunately not with the factory head unit.
My guess is that the hardware wasn't apple certified. Same reason that the 2017 Ford Edge couldn't do carplay without an actual hardware upgrade to the USB port and then a software upgrade. They probably didn't have an "apple certified" USB port. Although in Ford's case they had modularized the USB port so you could remove it and replace it. And apparently the Sync3 system was already capable/certified for Carplay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Unfortunately not with the factory head unit.
My guess is that the hardware wasn't apple certified. Same reason that the 2017 Ford Edge couldn't do carplay without an actual hardware upgrade to the USB port and then a software upgrade. They probably didn't have an "apple certified" USB port. Although in Ford's case they had modularized the USB port so you could remove it and replace it. And apparently the Sync3 system was already capable/certified for Carplay.
Well, poop. Thanks for the info. I'm assuming that '17 head units won't retro into a '16?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, poop. Thanks for the info. I'm assuming that '17 head units won't retro into a '16?
Have you thought of looking at aftermarket head units that would fit in that space. Pioneer makes some great units that would probably be way cheaper than a factory head unit. I put one in my previous vehicle and it was a great alternative.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
821 Posts
Have you thought of looking at aftermarket head units that would fit in that space. Pioneer makes some great units that would probably be way cheaper than a factory head unit. I put one in my previous vehicle and it was a great alternative.
I think the issue with most after market units (unless you get one of those Android ones) is that you lose the HVAC control indications on the screen. Although I think it also depends on which trim level/speaker system is in the vehicle as well.

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
821 Posts
I vaguely recall someone tried, but maybe it wasn't a '17 going into a '16.
If you search in the DM+ forum (not this one, the short wheel base forum) I think that's where I saw someone trying to take a newer one and put it in. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I believe the wiring harness changed and it didn't work.

If you had Android (BTW, I have an iPhone), you could just use Android Auto on the phone itself. Granted, you won't get the navigation screen mirrored to the console, but AA on the phone itself will respond to voice commands, etc. and can re-route the audio via bluetooth to the car speakers.

Carplay has no such feature, though.

Some folks have used the Android-based head units though with great success. But it's pricey if I recall. Around $1,000 or so with the unit and wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think going aftermarket would be the route I would go. We'll just trundle along in the dark ages with out non-carplay headunit.

le sigh. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone have the usb file image for the car play update?

Is there any truth to the rumor that you can use the Kia 2019 update on the 2017 Hyundai’s?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had no luck finding a usb image for a 2017 Hyundai Santa se for Apple car play.

Does anyone have the usb file image for the car play update?

Or has anyone found a replacement head unit?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just checked Hyundai today - looks like we can download it now! - Hoping it works! 🤞
going to try it out today, hopefully it works on my 2017 Santa Fe se

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unfortunately all I see is a SD card map update, no support for the Hyundai Santa Fe SE without navigation. You can still download it though.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts