Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to know if a system update may come out for the MMI system?

I'm asking for the non Navigation system that has apple car play.

Seems there are alot of quirks with it and maybe Hyundai offers an update?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
For my android, google is always updating android play, just updated it yesterday, haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Have to check with my wife for her iphone, think you have to go to itunes to check for the latest updates.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Is there a way to know if a system update may come out for the MMI system?

I'm asking for the non Navigation system that has apple car play.

Seems there are alot of quirks with it and maybe Hyundai offers an update?
Are you referring to the actual head unit for an update?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Tried that new android update yesterday, could not even connect, use to get that android icon on the screen that I have to touch, didn't get this. Guess I have to call my 8 year old granddaughter for help.

Said something about trying android marshmallow ver. 6, found that on google play, bunch of negative review on it. Loaded with ads.

Tried to learn if either apple or android is preloaded on the radio, could not find anything, but have the feeling it loaded by your phone.

If I can recall, android like 18 months ago was kind of like pairing bluetooth, do a scan, and may or may no have to use some kind of four digit password. Would get a window on phone, do you want to connect to android, think they are trying to do this automatically now.

All I know is these software guys are constantly changing stuff.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Tried that new android update yesterday, could not even connect, use to get that android icon on the screen that I have to touch, didn't get this. Guess I have to call my 8 year old granddaughter for help.

Said something about trying android marshmallow ver. 6, found that on google play, bunch of negative review on it. Loaded with ads.

Tried to learn if either apple or android is preloaded on the radio, could not find anything, but have the feeling it loaded by your phone.

If I can recall, android like 18 months ago was kind of like pairing bluetooth, do a scan, and may or may no have to use some kind of four digit password. Would get a window on phone, do you want to connect to android, think they are trying to do this automatically now.

All I know is these software guys are constantly changing stuff.

You probably want to enable developer options on your phone and then enable USB debugging. Thats what we had to do to both of our phones to get AA to work, as some update screwed it up.

I have never seen any update come for the head unit software for either of my Hyundais. My Sonata with Nav did get a free map update installed at the dealer and that is somehow integrated to the head unit but not sure how.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Mine didn't have Apple, but Android was fine. Then did this update that was free and had both. Not sure if it's available in the US

https://hyundaisoftwareupgrade.ca/
Only list the 2017 Elantra (With 7-inch touchscreen without navigation and 8-inch navigation)

Since we have the 8" screen with navigation, must be different to further confuse us.

Ha, console myself by saying I got by without this stuff for over 60 years now, why not a couple of more.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Read it again, I updated just fine ;) I have the Limited Ultimate.

(With 7-inch touchscreen without navigation and 8-inch navigation)

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Finally, deleted Android auto from my phone and reinstalled, had to remove that android icon from my google play first, internet tells you how, said already installed.

This gave me a fresh start, said to touch the Android icon on the screen, could not find it. Went to Setup and found a Connectivity icon, said does not work with the phone connected, so I disconnected it. Then it showed an android window, it was turned off, never recall turning it off, but turned it on again, reconnected my phone and the android icon was on the screen, touched it, now its working again.

Now I have to learn how to install favorites on Waze, with google maps, can hit that upper left switch on my steering wheel, and talk to google, give them an address or a point of interest, shows up on the screen, just like BlueLink did by hitting that 2nd button from the left on my rear view mirror.

Ha, should write all this stuff down, will forget it tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Still have a lot to learn two phone protocols, GSM or CDMA, GSM works practically with any carrier using their sim chip, CDMA only works with Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular, unfortunately I have a CDMA, didn't know any better, know now.

Practically everyone in my family uses Apple, it works both with GSM and CDMA kind of grew up in a country that believed in standardization, this is history. Did have a Motorola Electrify, when I added memory to it worked for both apps and photos, and MP3's. Didn't want an Apple costs both arms and legs for extra memory, had to dump that Motorola, was 3G, wouldn't work in other areas.

I assumed the Samsung Galaxy S4 was the same, but with an extra huge micro SD card, only holds photos or MP3's not apps, so very limited to the amount of apps I can load to it.. You know what they say about assume, will never learn.

Sure have to do your homework first before buying anything, did with my Hyundai, happy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Still have a lot to learn two phone protocols, GSM or CDMA, GSM works practically with any carrier using their sim chip, CDMA only works with Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular, unfortunately I have a CDMA, didn't know any better, know now.

Practically everyone in my family uses Apple, it works both with GSM and CDMA kind of grew up in a country that believed in standardization, this is history. Did have a Motorola Electrify, when I added memory to it worked for both apps and photos, and MP3's. Didn't want an Apple costs both arms and legs for extra memory, had to dump that Motorola, was 3G, wouldn't work in other areas.

I assumed the Samsung Galaxy S4 was the same, but with an extra huge micro SD card, only holds photos or MP3's not apps, so very limited to the amount of apps I can load to it.. You know what they say about assume, will never learn.

Sure have to do your homework first before buying anything, did with my Hyundai, happy.
This app should store your apps. I used it on my S5 a couple years back.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=braveheart.apps.app2sd

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
This app should store your apps. I used it on my S5 a couple years back.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=braveheart.apps.app2sd
Thank you for the tip, will have to try this, but first will have to delete some apps first to have space to download it to learn if my phone is compatible.

What I do not understand with these phones, Samsung, google, and even US Cellular is putting apps on this thing that I don't even know what they are for, but do know, I cannot delete them.

US Cellular has their own nav program, can't delete it, but to use it, have to pay extra.

And what's this about may contain ads, call this thing my spam box.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's all "bloatware" not sure about US but in Canada as of Jan 1st of this year it is now illegal to lock cellphones and all cellphones must come unlocked from the carrier which will reduce all the bloatware that carriers install that is not deleteable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts