Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I wipe out all of the Hyundai Nav Maps, etc, the download instructions for Apple Car Play is telling me that it wants to erase the card's files.....

How should I proceed????

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aren't you gonna share what the issue was and the fix?
I don't think there was an issue after I went back over the install instructions. I guess some files have to be deleted to install some of the new files....Nothing was missing when it completed, so it's all good...

BUT the maps on the Hyundai Nav are not as accurate/updated as Garmin maps......I was driving down RT17 in Florida yesterday and all of a sudden it tells me to make a U turn and go back one street...What??? I did it and it put me on an old section of Rt 17 that's presently closed down...A similar incident occurred when I first entered Florida yesterday.

I think I'm going to invest in a 6" Garmin unit with lifetime map updates...A lot cheaper and accurate I think then the vehicle Nav units. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Or you can use Apple Maps or Google Maps via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I find either to be a better option. The only time that I use the NAV system is when I don't have a cell signal or I am too lazy to plug my phone in.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or you can use Apple Maps or Google Maps via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I find either to be a better option. The only time that I use the NAV system is when I don't have a cell signal or I am too lazy to plug my phone in.
That would be a good solution if I had an unlimited data plan. Decisions, decisions..........

·
Registered
842 Posts
Google maps allows you to download 1,700 MB sections of maps. Once downloaded, if you're driving within those sections, data usage is minimal due mainly to traffic data. Google has the most up to date maps you can get due to their huge fleet of mapping cars which also take pictures while it drives.

Also, you don't need to buy a garmin unit, you can just use HERE Maps(formerly Navteq) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/here-wego-city-navigation/id955837609?mt=8 which is completely free, you just need about 9GB of free space on your phone to download all of north america. It doesn't work with android auto or carplay, it's just a standalone nav for your phone, but a decent one. I believe Garmin uses their maps according to this wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(company)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm with @gggplaya, Android Auto works great and google maps has every bell and whistle, including the ability to download chunks of map data for areas you drive in. You can even set it to only work on wifi so it doesn't use your phone's data plan. Once you mark out the blocks you want downloaded, it will put them on your phone (can even save to SD) and then update them every 30 days, so they'll never be more than a month out of date, assuming your phone is on wifi at least that often.

Instructions here (super easy, search + hit the three dots button + select download):

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm with @gggplaya, Android Auto works great and google maps has every bell and whistle, including the ability to download chunks of map data for areas you drive in. You can even set it to only work on wifi so it doesn't use your phone's data plan. Once you mark out the blocks you want downloaded, it will put them on your phone (can even save to SD) and then update them every 30 days, so they'll never be more than a month out of date, assuming your phone is on wifi at least that often.

Instructions here (super easy, search + hit the three dots button + select download):

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en
Only Android? I'm using an iPhone.....Found the info...thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
Apple maps doesn't give you the option to download maps. But I suspect it does that behind the scenes as my data usage isn't as high as I would expect it to be if it were constantly fetching maps over the air as long as I am in an area where I frequently drive. If I go outside that area, my data usage goes up. So you might want to try either option as I think you'll have a better experience.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I actually purchased a slightly broken used Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ 64GB I purchased on ebay for $80. The screen has a blotched black spot on it, and the back cover was cracked, but I keep it permanently in my car 24/7 just for android auto. I use it for Android Auto and Spotify. I use a $20/mo Tmobile tablet plan on it, which has unlimited music streaming(spotify) and 2GB of normal data.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Only Android? I'm using an iPhone.....
HERE maps works with iphone, but again it doesn't work with carplay. Apple wants you to use apple maps!!

I also forgot to tell you that Android Auto allows you to use Waze, which is great for high traffic situations. But Waze doesn't allow you to download maps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts