Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some oil filters off fleabay and am wondering if there is anyway to see if they are real. I figured they would be exactly like the last batch I purchased but they are very slightly different as they are the Hyundai Mobis instead of Hyundai. Are there any images I can take where anyone here on the forum could make an educated guess? I am pretty sure they are real, but its always nice to have a second opinion since they are from fleabay.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
MOBIS now operates Hyundai parts.. Filter will spost a Hyundai and Kia logo on the filter, and the plate with holes in it bears a stamped letter.. I want to say in is a "M"..

Got pics of the filters ?

Safest thing in reality is just buy them at the local Hyundai or Kia dealer of choice.. see who give you a fair price on them in bulk.. safer than Flea-Bay with no shipping, wrong/damaged goods to fight over

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
My Hyundai filters I get off ebay come with a plastic seal across the open end and if you look down inside there is the Hyundai H stamped in them.

·
22,788 Posts
My Hyundai filters I get off ebay come with a plastic seal across the open end and if you look down inside there is the Hyundai H stamped in them.
Genuine Hyundai! Bought one for the wife a few months back. Yep, plastic cap over the opening. All of the ones I bought for the 2011 were the same way. I liked how they looked coming out of the box. Almost as if they had been developed in some clean room at a laboratory and kept dust free.

·
22,788 Posts
Nice link (New Document), SaurianFire! Enjoyed reading that.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
They do look different from the batch of filters I bought a few years ago. New design perhaps? Do you have a link to the seller?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
417 Posts
It is tough to know if a "fill-in-the-blank" is real or not. The fakes just keep getting better and better. Over in China, I have seen Rolex watches with holograms and sweep second hand and... and... and.... sell for <50 USD. I have seen very convincing Monte Blanc Pens sell for <15 USD. Designer purses, < 50 USD. You name it, someone is making knock-offs. Heck, they even make fake Mercedes windshields with all the "right" markings! You just know they are not real. But they can be fairly convincing.

There is no guaranteed way to know if the Oil Filters we can buy on-line are really Hyundai approved parts. NONE! The best way to know your are getting the real thing is to purchase fiters from a reputable Hyundai dealership. But I don't know how to determine "reputable" when buying on the internet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
+1 for buy at the dealer. I bought 4 at the dealer and they gave me one free, and also included a new washer for the drain plug.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Probably the easiest way with a Hyundai filter to see if it is fake or not is to squeeze the metal shell. The OEM filter is pretty heavy steel compared to most other filters. I doubt if a fake would use the same thickness of steel.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Why not simply go to the dealership and compare the filters? It should be fairly obvious soon enough. Best thing is simply to go to the dealer and buy them anyway. They aren't that expensive to begin with and I prefer the gasket design.

And for that matter I just let the dealer handle the oil and filter change. At $25 it isn't worth my time and effort and the oil and filter have to be disposed of anyway.

·
22,788 Posts
If the bottom blows out when you start the engine, it's fake.

Seriously, just go to the dealer. They're about $6-7 bucks if you smooze with the parts guy a bit. Or, for example, our dealer is offering an oil & filter change special, with fluid top-offs, and multipoint inspection for $19.95. At least you'll know it's done correctly.

·
22,788 Posts
The ONLY way any of us can know it is done correctly is to do it ourselves! Really!!!!
Absolutely correct. I'm learning to trust my dealer. It hasn't been easy, that's for sure. But it has been a good relationship since my new dealer bought out the previous clowns that owned the store. :thumbsup:

But don't think for a minute that I don't go behind them, afterward, and check everything. As only I can do.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Heard too many horror stories over the years ... Had a Jiffy Lube forget to even spin an oil filter on hand tight. Had a shop I worked at forget to tighten lug nuts (not forget to torque them, forgot to spin them down). Heard of a Cadillac dealer that NEVER changed the Number 7 plug on a tune-up (it was a real pain to get to, I think you had to go from under the car and loosen a motor mount and jack the engine over, but still ... that's what you are paying them for ...)

·
22,788 Posts
Heard too many horror stories over the years ...

... that's what you are paying them for ...)
Yep, sometimes you DON'T get what you're paying for. Not too much comfort in that statement.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts