Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently inherited a 2012 limited FWD from my grandfather, I love it, I was just curious if there's anything I should keep an eye on, oil pressure, whatever. Another thing i was wondering is where to get map updates for a reasonable price, as it has the original version it shipped from the factory with. I can get by with using maps on my phone, but I'd like to use what the car has.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I bought my 2012 Limited AWD at Carmax about fifteen months ago. Present mileage is a little over 55,000. Fuel figures are ~20-21 in town and ~26-27 in long distance Interstate driving, but I have seen upper 20's driving on cruise at 70 MPH on a flat highway. The power is quite entertaining (torque steer can be fun) so you will learn to use a light foot on the accelerator. Only problem with mine is the left rear door lock motor doesn't want to unlock most times and that will be covered on the used car warranty very soon.

Just reading through the forums suggests rare problems with the oil pressure light switch leaking and a damper motor on the HVAC system deciding not to work. I have seen neither of these problems with mine.

You got it from your gran? If he maintained it well, you may be quite satisfied with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I love the thing to death, he didn't use it much, so by the time i got it, it had ~18k on it, i've since put a good 3k on it, driving it back from Florida, and using it as a daily driver, had to learn from the get go, about the light acceleration needed, you could get into trouble with one of these easily, the only problem I've had is that the tires needed replacing at about 20k, that's more to talk about the seashells in the road, the salt from the ocean, and the heat destroying them. I've been getting a lot of dust in the cabin, i'm thinking i need to get a new cabin air filter. is it difficult to replace, or is it a take a couple clips/nuts off, slap it in, and reseal it type of job?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
3.5L has an unresolved Engine stalling problem.

Maybe you inherited a good one but its a key aspect to stay away from a used one. There is no known fix. Hyundai won't fix it either.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Cabin air filter is behind the glove box and is easy to replace. This might be a good time to replace the engine air filter too so you can say those maintenance items were taken care of. As for tires, go to www.tirerack.com and look at the ratings on all-season and premium all-season tires. Also check out www.consumerreports.org but keep in mind they aren't exactly a car enthusiast's web site. The Kumhos on mine are some of the least expensive and have fantastic traction and handling but they're a bit noisy. I had a very good experience on an older Santa Fe with General Altimax RT43's

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I have the RT43's on another 4x4 in the family. Very quiet tires and have worked very well for several winters. As per ratings I saw it was up to its reputation. Its a very economical tire to purchase as well.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
3.5L has an unresolved Engine stalling problem.

Maybe you inherited a good one but its a key aspect to stay away from a used one. There is no known fix. Hyundai won't fix it either.
I saw a video in the last couple of days about a similar problem with the Dodge Dart. It seems low oil level can cause a momentary drop in oil pressure which will make the ECU shut the engine down to avoid damage. I have absolutely no idea if the 3.5's stalling problem (I haven't had it happen with mine) has a similar cause but I keep my oil level at the full mark all the time.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/own...e-problem-or-user-error/ar-BBJK16s?li=AAggFp0

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Few of us know the principles of operation of the engine and/or if there is even a low oil level sensor built in. I know some V8's have it and are documented in the owners manual and revert the power train to very low running mode, even over temp triggered.

What Hyundai did on this and other engines appears unclear or unknown. Given that its important to verify the level is well in the Normal zone when problems are experienced to eliminate this. As per the articles owner jump on a board searching for a fix without having it diagnosed by an knowledgeable mechanic.

PS:

OIL is the Life Blood of the Engine as Transmission fluid is the Life Blood of the Transmission. Neither should be ignored and assumed to be good until death do you part! It ain't so you'll kill it one day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts