Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to this site so I'm hoping someone can help! The care I have now is a 2000 Ford Focus, and for the past year, it's been literally falling apart. I could have gotten a Mazzaratti by now with the amount I have spent in repairs over the past year. So I'm looking for a safe and reliable car I can own for a couple years at least with a little piece of mind, and without having the costs on top of buying one, just to have to fix something again.

Most of the models I have looked up on numerous websites, are the Accent and Elantra models between 2000-2005 mostly, with about 100k miles, give or take. The owners all say they are "up-to-date", but I never know what to believe. Are there any specific fixes that need to be made at about 100k miles inevitably with this car, that if the owner had not taken care of, I'd have to right away?

Any help or info on the Accent and Elantra models would be great before I buy one! I have enough headaches with the car I own now!

Thanks!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums :00000732:

the accent and the elantra are both sound cars and are not known for giving major problems......in a nutshell when you are buying a used model its service history, service history and service history....if the vehicle has got a good service track record including cam.belt changes you can't go far wrong

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought, but my boyfriend told me before I actually buy anything I should try and make sure first. My Mom always got Hyundai's growing up and really liked them, as did I. But I made the mistake of buying a Ford and I hate it!!

Thank you!

All thoughts are welcome, appreciated, and helpful!
:liebe011:

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
whatever hyundai model you choose IF you do get any problems you can always post here, there are countless numbers of members who can help you

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (Montego @ Apr 24 2010, 06:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=316395
welcome to the forums :00000732:

the accent and the elantra are both sound cars and are not known for giving major problems......in a nutshell when you are buying a used model its service history, service history and service history....if the vehicle has got a good service track record including cam.belt changes you can't go far wrong
That said...you should still have it checked out by a reputable shop. I have no complaints with my 02 Accent. Everything I've replaced has been normal wear and tare items.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The biggest thing is to make sure that regular maintenance was done on the car, meaning oil changes, filter changes etc.

The BIG thing for an accent with that many miles is to make sure the timing belt was changed recently. If it hasn't been changed yet, get ready to shell out money for it, or do it yourself if you have the patience and skills.

For me, I would make sure that the oil changes were done regularly, the timing belt was done recently, spark plugs, spark plug wires, serpentine belt, brakes, etc.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would go for the Elantra. Be cautious of the Accent if you want an automatic, a few members have had a rebuild around 70,000-100,000 miles because of a small bearing in the transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys! Thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking between at an 02' accent and an 03' elantra both with miles in the 20-30,000 mile range for only around $7,000. Does this sound right? It's from a dealer/shop...they have 2 locations, and 1 is at each-same company. Thanks!

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (angelicjessica2 @ May 7 2010, 10:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320757
Hey guys! Thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking between at an 02' accent and an 03' elantra both with miles in the 20-30,000 mile range for only around $7,000. Does this sound right? It's from a dealer/shop...they have 2 locations, and 1 is at each-same company. Thanks!
That doesn't sound right. I'm pretty sure a '02 Accent sold for less than 10G new. And 8 years later it's still worth 7??? Have you checked Kelly, Edmonds, or NADA?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OKAY! I think I finally found the car. 2003 elantra gls, 73K miles, $4500.
What do we think?
I'm thinking this is the one!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
QUOTE (angelicjessica2 @ May 31 2010, 10:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328286
OKAY! I think I finally found the car. 2003 elantra gls, 73K miles, $4500.
What do we think?
I'm thinking this is the one!!!

oh wow!!! that is a crap load of miles!!!!!!! try to find something a lot less than that. I have a 2002 accent, and my mileage is 56k, and the value of it is only $2000. Definitely find a different car with a lot less mileage, because with that high mileage, you wont know how long you will have it for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
73K is high mileage? I know Nissans, Toys, and Honds low mileage is like 100-200km for early 2000. How long do hyundais suppose to last? Makes me afraid of just purchasing a hyundai. I wanted to get like 300,000 out of my 2005 accent. lol (im a noob though with cars, so ignore my ignorance if any)

·
Registered
546 Posts
QUOTE (chardoc @ Jun 16 2010, 11:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333464
73K is high mileage? I know Nissans, Toys, and Honds low mileage is like 100-200km for early 2000. How long do hyundais suppose to last? Makes me afraid of just purchasing a hyundai. I wanted to get like 300,000 out of my 2005 accent. lol (im a noob though with cars, so ignore my ignorance if any)
Keep in mind...73K miles is roughly 117K km. My '02 Accent has 148K miles, or 238K km and it's still going strong. If I keep doing the scheduled maintenance...I should be able to get another 148K miles at least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts