Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the K & N drop-in air filter? Will it make any difference over the factory air filter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most Manifold sensors are similar to a light bulb with no glass and have a low voltage supply, the change of air flow when the throttle is opened, cools the element which changes the resistance, increasing fuel dilivery and often increasing transmission pressure to accomodate the extra load. By fitting an oiled sports air filter will coat the sensor element and cause it not to react correctly >>> lean and transmission slippage, besides to constant chore of having to service the element. Works great as it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (CliveM @ Oct 4 2010, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361088
Most Manifold sensors are similar to a light bulb with no glass and have a low voltage supply, the change of air flow when the throttle is opened, cools the element which changes the resistance, increasing fuel dilivery and often increasing transmission pressure to accomodate the extra load. By fitting an oiled sports air filter will coat the sensor element and cause it not to react correctly >>> lean and transmission slippage, besides to constant chore of having to service the element. Works great as it is.
If it's oiled excessively - certainly true. The problem is lot of people think if a little is good - more is better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Concur on the above which is why I will not use any oiled filter and am awaiting the availability of reusable washable synthetic fiber filters for our '11 Sonatas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
About 2 years ago I purchased a Spectre Performance air filter for my XG. It is much like the K&N Filters, but it's not a drop-in. (I removed the factory air box and hung the filter off the intake tubing in front of the MAF sensor.)

For a while (maybe a week) the car seemed to be a bit more responsive during normal driving and at WOT you could definitely hear the engine sucking more air in through the filter.

However, shortly thereafter, the CEL illuminated and the code was for the MAF sensor.

I ran over to AutoZone and purchased a can of that CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner and at the same time, ran returned the air filter to NAPA.

I was able to successfully clean the MAF sensor with the CRC stuff and to this day, everything is working great!

Now, I just use the WIX drop-in filters and I'm happy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't feel bad, armycop...I created the exact same thread weeks ago and got the exact same non-answers.

People, really...if you can't answer the actual QUESTION, don't answer the thread, it's getting old.

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (unccjester @ Oct 5 2010, 08:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361363
Don't feel bad, armycop...I created the exact same thread weeks ago and got the exact same non-answers.

People, really...if you can't answer the actual QUESTION, don't answer the thread, it's getting old.
All the answers, except for one, sound pretty accurate to me. Are you calling them "non-answers" because it's not what you want to hear? If that's the case, I'll give you a positive response in favor of the K&N and similar filters. "If" you drive around at wide open throttle all the time, then, yes, it may flow a little more air and give a slight advantage over a stock filter. In competition use, where all out performance is the goal, it may provide a slight gain. Why not just remove the filter completely and let it really breathe free?

There are trade-offs between power and reliability. Competition engines are not expected to live very long lives, so what difference does a little more grit in the air stream make? You're gonna be tearing the motor down soon anyway to replace the stressed out parts, hopefully before a catastrophic failure turns it into a pile of scrap metal. On the flip-side, most of us don't drive like that and the Sonata is not a race car. If you want your engine to last as long as possible, you want a good filter. The K&N does not filter as well as most stock filters do and any performance gain is virtually imperceptible/non-existent under most conditions. The filter may have a "Million Mile Warranty" but your engine sure won't live that long.

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (11yfLtd @ Oct 6 2010, 12:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361436
All the answers, except for one, sound pretty accurate to me. Are you calling them "non-answers" because it's not what you want to hear? If that's the case, I'll give you a positive response in favor of the K&N and similar filters. "If" you drive around at wide open throttle all the time, then, yes, it may flow a little more air and give a slight advantage over a stock filter. In competition use, where all out performance is the goal, it may provide a slight gain. Why not just remove the filter completely and let it really breathe free?

There are trade-offs between power and reliability. Competition engines are not expected to live very long lives, so what difference does a little more grit in the air stream make? You're gonna be tearing the motor down soon anyway to replace the stressed out parts, hopefully before a catastrophic failure turns it into a pile of scrap metal. On the flip-side, most of us don't drive like that and the Sonata is not a race car. If you want your engine to last as long as possible, you want a good filter. The K&N does not filter as well as most stock filters do and any performance gain is virtually imperceptible/non-existent under most conditions. The filter may have a "Million Mile Warranty" but your engine sure won't live that long.

I have to second this response.
To the OP and unccjester, just what type of results would you anticipate with the new setup? Would the Sonata sound like a V8 or have an additional 30-50HP? Real world results woul be an added 3-5HP (at best) and the likelyhood of some MAF or other issues popping up. This risk/reward scenario is heavy on risk and very light on reward.

So sorry for another non-answer response to this thread.

Or maybe this response is better:
After adding the k&n, the car sounds awsome AND Corvetts and Mustangs hide in fear when I drive by. :banana:

·
Registered
111 Posts
The whole Oil getting in your MAF has been overblown in my opinion. I'm sure if you go crazy when you clean your filter and put wayyy too much oil on it, it may become a problem. However, a well maintained K&N will perform just fine. There are thousands of people with it installed and the few who messed up their car are the ones that cry the loudest.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a performance increase, you won't notice anything. I forget the exact site, but there were a lot of tests run on multiple filters. Surprisingly, the K&N did about the same as paper on filtration. However, it also barely had more airflow as well.

The tests in store that show significant airflow gains are usually because they haven't oiled the filter at all, or barely. If you overdo it with the oil, you'll get less airflow than paper and a small possibility of messing up your MAF.

Personally, I don't think its worth the trouble.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The oil in MAF problem is rare from my experience. I had an AEM intake on my 02 se-r and it didn't screw anything up for 50k miles before i sold it. Myself and countless others used AVO drop in filters in our turbo subies and never had a problem with oil in MAF.

A theory was the small amount of oil was gonna collect more dirt than the oem paper filters. They were also washable too lol. I don't see much gain by using one in the sonata but if its just another mod then go for it. There's also a chance of gettin slightly worse (if noticeable) mpg since more air is goin through.

·
Registered
161 Posts
QUOTE (Brewster @ Oct 5 2010, 07:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361222
Absolutely wrong.
More surface area is the best way to get more air into your engine, a custom intake with a bigger drop in filter. You don't compromise the filter by adding bigger pore without letting more dirt into your engine. Adding filter oil is a bandaid solution, most people won't check their air filter often enough to make sure their filter is clean and lubricated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts