Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
Hard to say if mine increased or not since the car was added a few months ago to a policy that had a new GMC PU. But I will talk to the agent next week to find out why my house insurance just went up a few hundred so I'll check on the car insurance.

· Registered
2016 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L
10 Posts
My insurance increased ~50% but I suspect it can be attributed more to my move to Dallas (from outside DC) rather than having a vulnerable Kia especially since the comprehensive coverage doesn't seem to have taken up all the difference and some totally-reputable-sources seem to put Texas above Virginia in typical insurance costs/

· Registered
239 Posts
Follow up, naturally, my vehicle insurance is going to increase due to the simple fact I added a car to a policy that has a truck. However, per the agent this AM, Farmers, Idaho is not penalizing this year Hyundai (or any year if equipped with push button ignition) for past problems. (As for my home ins, they want me to cut all trees back 200 feet from my house for wild fire safety. BS on that happening.)

· Registered
2015 Sonata SE
251 Posts

· Registered
2012 Civic Si Sedan
116 Posts
This one reads slightly differently (excerpts are from
(edited by CNN 1-28-23 3:06 PM EST & paraphrased)

"Progressive and State Farm, two of America’s largest auto insurers, are refusing to write policies in certain cities for some older Hyundai and Kia models that have been deemed too easy to steal, according to the companies.
Several reports say the companies have stopped offering insurance on these vehicles in cities that include Denver, Colorado and St. Louis, Missouri. The insurance companies did not tell CNN which cities or states were involved....
Engine immobilizers are now standard on all Kia vehicles, according to a statement by the automaker and the company says it has been developing and testing security software for vehicles not originally equipped with an immobilize. Kia said it has begun notifying owners of the availability of this software, which is being provided at no charge. Hyundai said its free software free update will be available next month.
Hyundai said it is providing free steering wheel locks to some police departments around the country to give local residents who have easily stolen Hyundai models. Hyundai dealers are also selling & installing free security kits for the vehicles, the company said."

· Registered
2015 Sonata SE
251 Posts
Can't believe everything media puts out. There have been some isolated cases of people with H/K vehicles that have been told they can't get insurance in those cities, but I think that has been corrected, according to my SF agent..

· Registered
239 Posts
I’m wondering what a “security software update” would change here that would be reasonably effective.
A quarter ounce of C4 with a circuit to the starter motor with a coded circuit interrupter in the circuit would stop the vehicle from being stolen. Just place under the driver seat, and make sure to enter the clear code before heading to work. Illegal in all 50 states. But once the word got out on TicTok that stealing a Hyundai causes the seat to explode and the guy is no longer a guy, thefts will sure come down.

· Registered
24 Posts
We are an hour north of Denver and my State Farm agent here in this smaller town said they are not writing any new coverage on regular keyed Kias (and I assume Hyundai) also. We have a 2016 Kia Soul key start but since we are already customers we are still covered...we'll see what the rates do. My 2021 Seltos is pushbutton start. I put a "Public Service Announcement" in our Nextdoor app - what if a family is looking for a used SUV and after buying it finds it will be very difficult to ensure...!? Couldn't believe it but it's true....

· Registered
239 Posts
From this AM news:
Major insurers plan to drop two car models' coverage due to thefts: report

"At least two major automotive insurers are refusing to protect certain Kia and Hyundai models because they lack anti-theft common in today’s cars, according to reports.

Both State Farm and Progressive confirmed with CNN that they no longer write policies for some Kia and Hyundai models manufactured between 2015-2019."

Problem states appear to be MN, WI, MI, OH, PA, FL (knew there was a reason I fled MI 😁 )

Maybe this will get Hyundai off their butts to issue a recall to fix this problem; probably not.

Reactions: jrsavoie
1 - 20 of 22 Posts