Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I haven't been too active with my posting, but I still read quite frequently. I have a 2010 Tucson GLS FWD and so far, I love it. I've noticed a number of posts that have been written about problems that folks are having with their Tucsons. As I said, so far, mine had been trouble free. I have ~9K miles on it so far and really can't complain about anything on it.

I looked at a number of other SUVs about the same size, but chose the Tucson based on my test drive, it's looks, and the limited reviews that were out when I bought the Tucson in June 2010. My Tucson was a replacement for a 2003 Toyota Highlander that had 150K miles on it when the block failed. Obviously, I wasn't going to spend the big bucks for a new engine on a vehicle with 150K miles on it, so I started looking. During the entire time that I owned my Highlander, it was 98% trouble free. A few things popped up from time to time, but nothing major.

I took a leap of faith and bought my first Hyundai. Since then, I've met other people who are/were happy with their Hyundai vehicles. I remember when Hyundais were looked at as 'disposable cars' because they were so inexpensive, and as my dealer admitted, not built as solidly as they are today. Fast forward several years later, and it seems that Hyundai can now be mentioned in the same breath as Honda and Toyota when it comes to reliability. Or at least the automotive press would have you believe.

So, in closing, are any of you unhappy with your Tucson to the point that you're wishing you bought something else? Why/why not? I understand that many times on chat type forums, it's usually the negatives that get highlighted the most simply because people are asking for help. If one was completely satisfied with their vehicle, there wouldn't be much to post about now, would there?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments that you folks can offer. I'm looking forward to being more active here, learning more about my Tucson.

Cheers!
MG

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey MG

In short no regrets! I am a very happy owner of 2 Hyundais! Last Christmas I bought my wife a 2010 Santa Fe Limited Navi and was so happy that a month ago I picked up my 2011 Tuscon Limited Navi! I was replacing a Honda that I have had since 99 and by Canadian standards that is a long time!

My thoughts in brief:

Plus:

1. Value can not be beaten - There is a significant price delta and with the 0% finance $ wise Hyundai's are a no-brainer.
2. Warranty beats everyone
3. Fun cars - the gadgets work and work well (Albeit "premium audio is a bit of a stretch in the Tuscon")
4. Almost everything is included - very few options needed.
4. Very low cost options - Mudflaps, roof racks etc
5. Services are the lowest price I have ever experienced and the dealer is great!
5. The panorama sun roof in the Tuscon is fantastic - I just love it!

Minus:

1. They are "cheaper" for a reason! .. The finish is excellent, but the plastic is cheaper and marks much more easily.
2. They lack some of the soundproofing of Hondas and Toyotas
3. Some feature are left off - eg. Tuscon Limited Navi drivers seat is 6-way not 8-way
4. The carpets and roof liners are definitely a lower grade.
5. Everybody has a Pony story and get gets boring! :(

Finally - I love my cars and l keep them a long time. I look after them and they only sleep indoors! Time will tell how they last relative to the others makes I have owned. I believe they will do just fine based on year one of the Santa Fe. The Value for Money and fun I get is perfect. Sure, it is not an Acura RDX, but that would have cost me $13K more and there sure as heck not that much more value!

Cheers

CP

PS. To the other Sante Fe owners... Yes I have had the ugly transmission - it has been re-flashed so far so good! Still, I will wait see what happens next. Sure it is a pain, but I am not worried as I will make sure it is fixed in wty and with no inconvenience to myself. I have complete faith in the dealer and Hyundai. Anyway, if it gets ugly I can too :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey, MG.

Count me in, as well. No regrets, and I came out of a nearly new Audi A3 to drive this. I really wanted a new Santa Fe, but the styling on the 2nd gen SF just isn't even close to the new Tucson. We looked at the new Kia Sorento also, but were a little turned off by the back end and by the fact that it was a much bigger/heavier vehicle, but had the same engine as the Tucson, so we went with the latter. I'm glad we didn't wait for the 3rd gen SF, as it looks like it won't be out until the 2012 model, which was NOT what we were told at the NAIAS in Detroit last January!

We have put in 13k in about 9.5 months. The car has performed flawlessly and mileage has been as good as anticipated. Our best tank with our 06 Sportage was a 23; we get that in overall driving, now, and we can get upper-20's if we are extremely good on the highway, which is almost never! :whistling:

The only things I would fix if I ran Hyundai:

Better soundproofing
Better center console (more like the SF)
Better horn (this one's really cheap sounding)
More user controllable options in the computer (I'm spoiled, having driven MB and Audi for most of the past decade)
Just a little softer ride (I love the sportiness, but on a rough road, it's really rough)

Other than those, very happy, very satisfied. Hope you are, also!

tim B)

·
Registered
28 Posts
QUOTE (TimmyB @ Dec 11 2010, 09:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378933
Hey, MG.

Better horn (this one's really cheap sounding)
Hey

Ha ha - I have to agree! I forgot to mention the horn... my 2011 Tuscon sounds like it has asthma! So much so, I suspect I may change it as it is pretty useless if you need it to avoid ending up under an 18 wheeler in the snow!

Cheers

CP

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (CP2010SantaFe @ Dec 12 2010, 08:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379028
Hey

Ha ha - I have to agree! I forgot to mention the horn... my 2011 Tuscon sounds like it has asthma! So much so, I suspect I may change it as it is pretty useless if you need it to avoid ending up under an 18 wheeler in the snow!

Cheers

CP
The horn is a hazard! I've never gotten a response to it, especially at freeway speeds, it is dangerous!
Check my link here about changing it, it is easy. The hardest part was making up the wiring for twin horns.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t55075-horn-replacement.htm

This is my 3rd Hyundai, previously a 2002 Santa Fe LX V6 4WD, a 2005 Tucson LX V6 AWD, and even though I loved the previous ones, this is the best one yet!

Compared to my earler ones, this one is noisier, & with a bit harder seats, & riding (but getting softer with wear) but also is faster, gets better milage, & handles best of all.
Plus, the styling is always first rate, & up to date.
After 90k miles, & 3 1/2 yrs with my Santa Fe, & over 100k miles, & 4yrs with the previous Tucson, I found them to be basically trouble free, & always fun, economical, & quite stable on the road.

What I'd really like is more horsepower, and, or, a turbo version. Plus better exterior colors, as they are all kind of drab!

Aside from that, I'm quite happy, and have no regrets compared to anything in it's class. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
QUOTE (MikDee @ Dec 12 2010, 12:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379084
The horn is a hazard! I've never gotten a response to it, especially at freeway speeds, it is dangerous!
Check my link here about changing it, it is easy. The hardest part was making up the wiring for twin horns.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t55075-horn-replacement.htm
Hi MikDee

Thank you for taking the time to post this and to send the link. I will definitely make a change to my car as soon as it warms a bit! (It is sort of covered in ice right now :( ) As for making a new harness - No sweat! I have the right tools so if that is the hard part it should be easy.

Cheers

CP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts