Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Has anyone opened up their intake manifolds yet? Direct injection engines tend to have alot of carbon deposits on the intake valves.

Thanks.

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Banned
630 Posts
call me crazy.....doesn't this void warranty?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am hoping that there's a good mechanic who owns a 2011 sonata that drives alot and decides to take the intake manifold out to let us all see if the speculation is true about the carbon deposits on the valves.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank every 3-5k is always a good idea. Its only about 3 bucks and if it saves you the hassle of reduced performance then it's a great investment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Folks, you can use a "Top Engine" cleaner. As long as the cleaner gets fed through the intake manifold area, it will then travel through the intake valve cleaning it. I do it all the time and it works great to clean out deposits. If you are unsure of what I speak of just take it to your local technician and ask for a "top engine" clean service and consider it done. I will do mine at 15K miles to be safe because it will cost me nothing but doing it at 30K miles won't be a bad idea. Normally, this service it not needed unless one is experiencing rough idle or sluggish acceleration.

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (TheMoose @ Jun 3 2010, 09:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329425
Folks, you can use a "Top Engine" cleaner. As long as the cleaner gets fed through the intake manifold area, it will then travel through the intake valve cleaning it. I do it all the time and it works great to clean out deposits. If you are unsure of what I speak of just take it to your local technician and ask for a "top engine" clean service and consider it done. I will do mine at 15K miles to be safe because it will cost me nothing but doing it at 30K miles won't be a bad idea. Normally, this service it not needed unless one is experiencing rough idle or sluggish acceleration.
Seafoam is a favorite among old car enthuisiast, probably won't use it until my car reaches past 30K mi though

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
page 1/3 in the introduction states to not add any fuel system cleaning agents other than what has been specified by your dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (maximize @ Jun 2 2010, 08:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329061
Hey guys,

Has anyone opened up their intake manifolds yet? Direct injection engines tend to have alot of carbon deposits on the intake valves.

Thanks.
Hello,

Im not to, too, familiar with Direct Injection engines yet. But, with direct injection, fuel is injected directly into the cylinder during the compression stroke, and just at that moment the spark plug ignites the mixture. Thus keeping fuel off the back of intake valves, and completely out of intake runners. Also, with average Direct Injection fuel pressures ranging from 1600 to 2000 psi, the fuel is so atomized, there is hardly a chance for the fuel to attach itself and "Caramelize" or "carbon" the intake valves. Especially since the exhaust is opening just after all this takes place.

Direct benefits include a more even fuel-air mixture (with no fuel left behind in the runner or on the back of the valve) and a cooling effect inside the cylinder. and compression ratios for direct injected engines tend to be about 12:1 without boost from a turbocharger or supercharger, and about 10:1 with it. In a conventional engine, these numbers would be about 10.5:1 and 8.5:1, respectively. But, if it does carbon up the valves, I would think it wouldn't be specific to just the intake valves.

Not trying to be a smart ****, just thought I would share what I know about them. Hope it helps!!!

Later

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks rick.kristin.
I'm kind of paranoid about these things. Just want to see a pic or two of an intake manifold of one of our cars after 15000 miles so as to put the question to rest.
Your knowledge is appreciated.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You see Maximize thats the problem with this forum and almost all forums.
You have to wade through a mountain of BS to get some facts.
You will soon find out which members are just "keyboard engineers" and which ones know what they are talking about.
My best advice is just follow your manual.
Hyundai has one of the best warranty's out there and I think that they would cover every base to protect that warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts