Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the fuse is blown, as both headlights aren't working and the bulbs are ok. I did a search and couldn't find a topic on this. The manual doesn't say anything about it, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I called around and got a tech at a dealership to look it up and provided some info. I'll put it here in case anyone needs to reference it in the future. He said to check the fuse labelled "Module 3" which is a 10 amp in the driver side fuse box. It controls a number of items including headlights apparently. He said to also check the Multi-fuse and to look at B+4 (50 amp) and B+2 (60 amp). Apparently these are connected to the circuitry that goes to the headlights as well as other parts. He said to check one last thing and that's the "breaker" type switch in the driver fuse box. He said it may get tripped and to try turning it off and on again.

Thanks to Chris from the Clarington Hyundai dealership in Ontario, Canada who went through the trouble of looking it up in the computer over the phone. I called other dealerships and all I got was the run around.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the confusion. I just thought I'd at least update my thread with the info I gathered as I troubleshooted the issue in case anyone would need it.

Funny thing is, none of them were blown, but when I tried again after pulling/replacing Module 3 and turning the switch off and on, and checking the Multifuses, the lights started working again. Not sure which specific thing did the trick, but hopefully it sticks and wasn't anything too serious.

Anyway, hopefully this helps someone at some point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you this has been helpful. I now have the same problem, my right front low beam is out, bought replacement bulbs, wasn't the bulb. Where is that reset switch? I have looked in the drivers side fuse box and haven't been able to locate anything that resembles a switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found 2 separate pull down switches which i thought were handles to pull out nest of wires have reset both and light still do not come on

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this seems silly but if you've replaced them recently, check that the tabs aren't bent where they slide into the connectors. I had this happen on my 2011 Tucson and drove myself crazy trying to figure out why the headlights wouldn't come on. Stupid problem due to user error but sure cheaper than a repair!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you for this thread! Helped save me the cost of them taking the bumper off my Genesis coupe to inspect my headlight. My passenger side low beam went out and after changing the bulb was still out. I didn't even think to check for fuses since my high beam and tail light both worked. Thanks again!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,705 Posts
How do I identify the left cylinder head on a 2013 Hyundai Sonata, is it closest to firewall or front of vehicle
How did we get to cylinder heads from headlights?

On a V6 engine, the Left bank is at the front of the vehicle, Right is closest to the firewall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just went through this with my 2013 Sonata LTD; both lights out at the same time.

I followed the diagnosis above, still no luck, so I replaced both bulbs and now they work.

The old bulbs (probably the originals) didn't have any broken wires. They were a little cloudy towards the base like any older used bulb, but the coiled wire inside appeared to be fused on both of them, like they'd melted together a bit and really weren't coils anymore.

Power surge? I dunno. If it happens again I'll have to start doing some electrical testing.

On a related note, while researching this I saw a Youtube clip showing a bulb that the wire had broken, then laid across the opposite wire and melted together, causing a short.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I will forever remember the lesson I was taught by a "good 'ol boy" from Alabama who despite not sounding like it, was actually one of the best mechanics I have ever met, and I have met some really good ones. Think non-degreed mechanical engineer level!

Anyway, both low beams on my car were out, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I asked Bill and he didn't even look up from the TH400 he was rebuilding like a surgeon. Said "Did you check to see if both bulbs were burned out?" Why would they both burn out at the same time???

"Well, they was both put in at the same time weren't they?" Man, did I feel like an idiot when he was right. Learned later while studying electronics in college that what can happen is having one of the halogen bulbs burn out and throw a very brief, but high current voltage spike on the system, blowing the other headlight bulb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will forever remember the lesson I was taught by a "good 'ol boy" from Alabama who despite not sounding like it, was actually one of the best mechanics I have ever met, and I have met some really good ones. Think non-degreed mechanical engineer level!

Anyway, both low beams on my car were out, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I asked Bill and he didn't even look up from the TH400 he was rebuilding like a surgeon. Said "Did you check to see if both bulbs were burned out?" Why would they both burn out at the same time???

"Well, they was both put in at the same time weren't they?" Man, did I feel like an idiot when he was right. Learned later while studying electronics in college that what can happen is having one of the halogen bulbs burn out and throw a very brief, but high current voltage spike on the system, blowing the other headlight bulb.
Your mechanic was spot-on. Both of my 2018 Tucson low beams were out. After reading this thread, the first thing I did was check the driver's side bulb. Looked good, but tested "open" with my VOM. Pulled the passenger side bulb and the element was totally gone; no VOM needed (I wonder if I am correct in thinking the DS bulb is the one that burned and the PS is surge victim). Bought 2 new bulbs. Made a note in my manual, but will probably never forget this tip. (am a little disappointed that a bulb failed at the less than two-year-old mark) Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I just thought I'd at least update my thread with the info I gathered as I troubleshooted the issue in case anyone would need it.

Funny thing is, none of them were blown, but when I tried again after pulling/replacing Module 3 and turning the switch off and on, and checking the Multifuses, the lights started working again. Not sure which specific thing did the trick, but hopefully it sticks and wasn't anything too serious.

Anyway, hopefully this helps someone at some point.
Was having the same issue, you were very helpful. I tried the switch first and the headlight came back on. Thank you!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts