Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Hyundai have problems with the 3.5?
I didn't think they used it for more than a couple of model years.
IMHO the 3.5 outperforms the turbo 4 and the 3.3 in the long version, in not only acceleration but the ease with which it gets up to speed. I have driven the other 2 versions and it felt like a step down verses a new improved engine.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I would guess they wanted to get away from the cast iron block aluminum heads to an all aluminum sleeve engine. The 3.5 is tough to work on could be another reason; certainly lots of power though.

Sounds like a good SBR711 question.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Fuelly.com show's the 2013 isnt any better than the 2010-2012, so nothing gained there. I am happy with my milage, I do mostly highway and get in the mid 20's doing manual calculations, upper 20's according to the computer.
I have also driven both the turbo 4 and new 3.3 v6 and agree with movinon that the 3.5 seems much more effertless in getting up to speed, and the 2013's are a few hundred pounds lighter.
It seems strange to spend all the money developing a new engine in 2010 and have it replaced after 2012. If it is a problamatic engine hopefully we will know about it before the warranty is done. I was planning on driving it for more than 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
All carmakers are downsizing engines these days. I wouldn't read anything into the demise of the 3.5 Lambda, which is related to the current as well as the previous version of the 3.3.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Most of you guys are confusing the 3.5 Lamda with the old 3.5 Sigma. Totally different motors. The 3.5 Lamda is just a stoked version of the 3.3. The reason why the stopped making it was due to cost cutting. Making 2 Lamdas, the 3.3 GDI and the 3.8 GDI is more cost effective and economical.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Most of you guys are confusing the 3.5 Lamda with the old 3.5 Sigma. Totally different motors. The 3.5 Lamda is just a stoked version of the 3.3. The reason why the stopped making it was due to cost cutting. Making 2 Lamdas, the 3.3 GDI and the 3.8 GDI is more cost effective and economical.
Do you think that cost cutting is the only reason they went with a 3.3 GDI instead of a 3.5 GDI? Is there any other reason to make that choice? Fuel economy maybe? It would seem better (to me anyway) for marketing purposes to make a 3.5 GDI go over 300 hp.

Interesting stuff. Can the 3.8 be used in a transverse setup, or is it too big to be put sideways into an engine bay?

·
Registered
689 Posts
It costs too much to make so many variants of the Lamda, there used to be 4. A 3.0, 3.3, 3.5 and the 3.8. Cutting down to 2 and adding GDI was a natural alternative. The 3.8 is used for both transverse and rear drive applications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts