Hyundai Forums banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 non-turbo with 191,500 on the clock. Runs like new and no severe issues. Should I change the tranny fluid, or go with the Hyundai lifetime fluid theory?

·
Registered
35 Posts
2011 non-turbo with 191,500 on the clock. Runs like new and no severe issues. Should I change the tranny fluid, or go with the Hyundai lifetime fluid theory?
If you plan on keeping it for even longer, consider a drain and fill (not a flush). I say consider because if you haven't changed it at all in nearly 200k miles, doing it now may cause problems.

In my notes, I have a note to drain and fill the transmission fluid every 60k miles. Have done it twice so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just turned 103K on the wife’s ‘11 Santa Fe AWD V6.
Powertrain has been great besides timing chain tensioner chatter at cold startup since year 2 of ownership. Finally needed all 3 lower ball joints on both sides, Wisconsin salt finds its way through boots over time.

Today we almost had a spring through a tire at highway speeds. The (licensed) dealer should have been obligated to communicate this ”baid-aid” that could have caused lost lives.

Quality Control should be embarrassed.

*gets off soapbox and hits prime shipping for a Sunday strut assembly.

Merry Christmas, Used to own a 6speed Supercharged Tibby!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
My Sonata (I'm not the original owner) had a strut spring break and Hyundai ok'd the fix at 146K...and even offered a loaner. They fixed it in a couple hours.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yep... body has 145k on it and new motor about 18k on it. Motor was replaced this summer.

but body doing good. no rust!!!!!! no cosmetic defects...she s a great runner!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a little over 192,000 and going strong on my 2011 sonata limited. I have kept Mobil 1 full synthetic in the engine since about 9k, and I perform my own oil changes with factory filter consistently around every 7k miles. I have recently found that I have to add about a half quart of oil every 1k miles or so, and I'm currently doing an oil consumption study with a Hyundai dealer. Who knows, maybe they'll replace the engine.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Good luck on the oil consumption test...I don't think you're using enough to warrant it. Good job going 7k between oil changes...I wouldn't have the nerve! You didn't say whether 2.0 or 2.4?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have more than 100K miles what issues (if any) have you experienced with your car during the time you have had it? Do you feel the car has been dependable? Did you do transmission oil changes, spark plug changes, etc?
Just bought 2012 Sonata Hybrid, 89,000 miles. Trans, flap, water pump, radiator hose and control arms were replaced. Also bought a used spare hybrid battery.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Howdy,

180,000 miles on our 2012 Sonata GLS with 6-speed manual transmission. Purchase car new and it's been very reliable. I do all my maintenance and the car has been solid. Changed oil every 5000 miles. New plugs, hoses/coolant, transaxle oil, and serpentine belt at 100,000 miles. Put first set of brakes on the car at about 100,000 miles. Recently installed second set of pads and rotors at about 175,000 miles.

Only odd thing is the wheel studs on the rear of the car like to strip out where they are friction fit into the hub. Somewhat a pain in the butt to replace the studs, but not impossible.

Currently, the car is starting to use a bit of oil - about a quart every 3000 miles. Oh, and the steering coupler crapped out at about 175,000 miles and I replaced that in a couple hours. Plenty of on-line videos that walk you through that process. Recently put new tires on the car and an alignment. Hope to get 300,000 before we have to let it go. Got 266,000 from out 2003 Elantra and hope the Sonata lasts even longer.

People, check your oil! Holy cow, it very easy to do and will save you significant butt-pain...

Cheers!

·
Registered
228 Posts
You'll probably see many more 100K drivers in a few yearsm assuming the average is still 12K/year. I got about 2 years myself, won't see 100K til late 2021 or early 2022 at my estimation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2013 sonata GLS. Problems. 114K

1. The transmission sensor went out at about 80k. I took it in, it was still covered, they replaced the sensor and flushed transmission. Didn't have to pay.
2. problems with my burnout break sockets, had both replaced, the entire casing, both of rear breaks. Paid Half. 280.
3. Just had the brakes checked, 5mm and 6mm. Have never replaced them, they say its still good?
2. Had two flat tires because of nails. AAA helped me out.

I drive in mexico too. and over there the roads suck. So you get the idea. Love this car.

Other than that, no real problems. I replaced the battery once. filters and oil. thats about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems dependable so far, new to Hyundai so still nervous.
Headlights are killing me, they are so dim it's terrible, I don't know if it's my age or my alternator. I have had it in the shop but they never say anything about the electrical system.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just broke 150K on my 2011 Sonata GLS (March 2010 purchase). Engine replaced by Hyundai @ 142K. Think I'm getting a tensioner growl now and the suspension is feeling a little rough these days, but all in all it's been a great car. Still looks good inside and out so no complaints there, just some spot areas where scrapes or little dings have scuffed the clearcoat. With the new engine I'm hoping I can keep it running until my kids are out of college (another 6 years or so...) but we'll see what happens. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase!

121 - 137 of 137 Posts