Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have more than 100K miles what issues (if any) have you experienced with your car during the time you have had it? Do you feel the car has been dependable? Did you do transmission oil changes, spark plug changes, etc?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Still a little bit away from 100K (I'm at 72K), but so far my 2011 GLS has run like a champ. I have a few squeaks that seem to come from the passenger side from time-to-time and a little post-brake-change squeak coming from one of my left-side wheels but the car is still running strong.

I will change out the spark plugs when I get closer to 100K and I'll more than likely get the timing checked in the next few months as I get close to the 75K mark. The only thing I've really replaced are the air and cabin air filters, the original battery, and the horrible, horrible OEM tires. Easily as dependable as my '97 Camry (took that ride to almost 180K miles).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm at 97,000 on my 2011 GLS, should cross 100k very soon. Car is just as good as when I bought it new. My only maintenance has been 7,500mile oil changes w/ regular oil, air filters as needed (every 20k average), tires at 55k, coolant at 90k and spark plugs at 90k. I don't plan to do anything else.

Since about 95,000 miles I've had my "miles to empty" reading jump up and down a few times when I turn on the ignition but then it levels off to the correct amount of mileage left on my tank. Other than that I can't think of a single issue I've had.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm at 97,000 on my 2011 GLS, should cross 100k very soon. Car is just as good as when I bought it new. My only maintenance has been 7,500mile oil changes w/ regular oil, air filters as needed (every 20k average), tires at 55k, coolant at 90k and spark plugs at 90k. I don't plan to do anything else.

Since about 95,000 miles I've had my "miles to empty" reading jump up and down a few times when I turn on the ignition but then it levels off to the correct amount of mileage left on my tank. Other than that I can't think of a single issue I've had.
Curious... are you the original owner? I wouldn't recommend using regular oil if you're going 7,500 miles between changes. I look for your 2.4 to have limited time left, especially past the 100k mark. Have you looked at the failed engine threads on here?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Curious... are you the original owner? I wouldn't recommend using regular oil if you're going 7,500 miles between changes. I look for your 2.4 to have limited time left, especially past the 100k mark. Have you looked at the failed engine threads on here?
Curious, why would you think Regular oil would shorten the life of the engine?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
7500 should be OK as long as he checks the oil level periodically.

Many owners of Hondas and GM vehicles report getting. 8000-9000 miles out of regular oil when using the oil life monitor system.(OLM).

A few UOAs wouldnt be a bad idea.

·
Registered
65 Posts
7500 should be OK as long as he checks the oil level periodically.

Many owners of Hondas and GM vehicles report getting. 8000-9000 miles out of regular oil when using the oil life monitor system.(OLM).

A few UOAs wouldnt be a bad idea.
OLM sytems are glorified hour meters. It doesn't do dynamic chem analysis on the oil.

I would never go over 5000 miles on dino oil.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Car Talk

Click and Clack (MIT grads on NPR Radio) recommend 5,000 mile oil changes:

http://http://www.cartalk.com/content/car-talk-service-advice-oil-changes[/URL]

Petroleum oils are fine for most cars: only exotic engines need synthetic oils.:smile:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am the original owner. Engine seems okay, not a puff of smoke, doesn't burn a drop of oil, good power, no noises and gets same gas mileage as it has since new, so that's enough for me to feel there are no signs of the engine being terminal. Hyundai recommends 7,500 mile oil changes. I might check the oil level/color once between oil changes, probably not that often, its always been fine.

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Click and Clack (MIT grads on NPR Radio) recommend 5,000 mile oil changes:

http://http://www.cartalk.com/content/car-talk-service-advice-oil-changes[/URL]

Petroleum oils are fine for most cars: only exotic engines need synthetic oils.:smile:

When they used to recommend 3,000 mile oil changes, I changed the oil every 3,000 miles. They've gone to 5,000 now?

Hmmm...I've gone to 4,500....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just turned 73K
5K oil changes with OEM filter and Valvoline Pure-Syn 5W40
Haven't had any problems.
Sometime I get on it, most of the time not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You couldn't be more incorrect, sir.
Really? Then explain. Here's my explaining of what the OLM is;

It measures accumulated RPMs, engine temps, and time. Probably has some sort of algorithm to calcualte a certain number based on those parameters. When a certain number is reached, it indicates that oil needs to be changed.

In other words, a glorified hour meter.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Really? Then explain. Here's my explaining of what the OLM is;

It measures accumulated RPMs, engine temps, and time. Probably has some sort of algorithm to calcualte a certain number based on those parameters. When a certain number is reached, it indicates that oil needs to be changed.

In other words, a glorified hour meter.
You couldn't be more CORRECT, Sir!

It surprises me how many people think it actually measures viscosity of the oil to determine when it needs changed. It also surprises me that people don't research more before throwing around opinions as facts.

Case in point: several GM cars from around 6-8 years ago were having very premature engine troubles due to oil sludge. The owners were changing the oil when the OLM said to, which in many cases were 10-14,000 miles... on DINO oil!
Example: I had a new '06 HHR 2.4L. I was going to go by the oil life monitor. My car was at 11,000 original miles, on the original oil, and the computer said I still had 25% oil life left. Anyone want to venture running to 15-16,000 miles on DINO oil? I surely hope not!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Have either of you read any threads on BITOG, specifically UOAs when the OLM was used?

There's some good engineering in these systems.

I don't see how a complex system that uses all of those parameters is a glorified hour meter. But what do I know? I suppose its best to dismiss the technology and engineering developed by the auto makers. We'll just stick with the few anecdotal experiences we read about on forums and stick with a shorter OCI because its probably better and our gut just tells we better change that oil sooner than later.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts