Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the Sonata even after selling my 2006 Lexus IS 350 BUT I have one major problem: bought the car at 30 miles and as soon as I drove it home, the key wouldn't come out of the ignition. It went back to the dealer and they fixed something on the shifter knob. After waiting 4 days for that I took the car home again and the next day the key stuck again.
Back to the dealer, this time they call Hyundai Techinal and had to replace the entire shift mechamisn. Had to wait 3 days for the part and another day for extensive testing.
I think this will be the next 2011 Sonanta recall. The service manager had said he replaced a few others already.
Now it's been 6 days and guess what, the key is starting to act up again. Would love to pay the difference and bump up to the next model with a Proximity Key option but the delaer isn't ready to give in yet. It's approaching Lemon Law standards in our state and I prefer to avoid that mess and just let them take the car and allow me to pay the difference and get push button start. But I already tinted the windows and registered it (that's $400+ out here). A new car would require a new title and registration, I'm not gonna pay all that since I didn't break the car in the first place. I highly doubt Hyundai would reimburse me!

I even phoned Consumer Relations at Hyundai USA SEVEN times! I was never able to get anyone on the line even after waiting 45 minutes to speak to someone. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with this car because I planned to have it a very long time.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so once the entire shift mechanism was replaced did the issue ever come back? I was told this is 2011 design, all years prior had different mechanisms so if you have a 2010 or older Sonata, you wouldn't/ shouldn't have this issue but would like to hear from anyone who may have.

Want to put in a push button start but professionally. Then I never have to worry about the key getting stuck. I have to carry my valet key in my purse in case it happens while I'm out so I can at least lock the door. I'm sure my insurance company would be thrilled to hear that!

Thanks for any help/input. :57:

·
Registered
268 Posts
QUOTE (eg146 @ Jun 18 2010, 12:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334137
I love the Sonata even after selling my 2006 Lexus IS 350 BUT I have one major problem: bought the car at 30 miles and as soon as I drove it home, the key wouldn't come out of the ignition. It went back to the dealer and they fixed something on the shifter knob. After waiting 4 days for that I took the car home again and the next day the key stuck again.
Back to the dealer, this time they call Hyundai Techinal and had to replace the entire shift mechamisn. Had to wait 3 days for the part and another day for extensive testing.
I think this will be the next 2011 Sonanta recall. The service manager had said he replaced a few others already.
Now it's been 6 days and guess what, the key is starting to act up again. Would love to pay the difference and bump up to the next model with a Proximity Key option but the delaer isn't ready to give in yet. It's approaching Lemon Law standards in our state and I prefer to avoid that mess and just let them take the car and allow me to pay the difference and get push button start. But I already tinted the windows and registered it (that's $400+ out here). A new car would require a new title and registration, I'm not gonna pay all that since I didn't break the car in the first place. I highly doubt Hyundai would reimburse me!

I even phoned Consumer Relations at Hyundai USA SEVEN times! I was never able to get anyone on the line even after waiting 45 minutes to speak to someone. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with this car because I planned to have it a very long time.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so once the entire shift mechanism was replaced did the issue ever come back? I was told this is 2011 design, all years prior had different mechanisms so if you have a 2010 or older Sonata, you wouldn't/ shouldn't have this issue but would like to hear from anyone who may have.

Want to put in a push button start but professionally. Then I never have to worry about the key getting stuck. I have to carry my valet key in my purse in case it happens while I'm out so I can at least lock the door. I'm sure my insurance company would be thrilled to hear that!

Thanks for any help/input. :57:

i had this a couple months ago...at 1st i had to put it in drive then back in park

but after a while of doing that it got stuck where there was no way to get it out so i had to have it towed to the dealer

they fixed a couple recalls they said and after that it never happened again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having the same problem today. I have 1300 miles on it and have tried the in and out of park solution. It's not working so I called the roadside assistance number. Hopefully they can get this fixed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine hangs up on me too sometimes - I've experienced this with alot of different cars and manufacturers. With some finagling the key always comes out though, always has on all the cars that gave me problems.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
This happened to me once when it was a couple months new. Like a previous poster, this had happened to me in other cars, so I knew to put it back into drive and then park. That fixed it, and now, half a year later, has not happened again. My '01 Optima (shares parts with the '01 Sonata) had the same problem maybe 10 times when it was 5 or 6 years old. I never got stranded, and it seems to not be a problem anymore. It hasn't happened in years. Hope they figure out how to fix yours. New cars should not be fussy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had this happen with two other cars but with those situations you could jerk the wheel to one side and it would release. This is a different problem. The key gets stuck because something in the electrical system won't let it lose.

It happened to me Saturday night and I tried putting it in park and then drive several times. I tried it with the car started and the car turned off. Even though you're not supposed to be able to shift while the car is off, it will let you shift if you’re having the same problem.

I called roadside assistance and they came out but couldn't do anything with it. Actually the roadside assistance was the one thing I thought was kind of strange about this experience. The first person they called apparently got into an accident on the way and the 2nd showed up in a low rider neon with the race car sounding muffler. The guy was professional and very courteous and he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I was just expecting a tow truck or something.

Anyway, roadside assistance also tried the park, drive sequence while the car was on and while it was turned off. I took it to the dealer today and they replaced the shifter within about 2 hours. They told me it was a problem with a solenoid. So far so good, it seems to have fixed the problem. My Sonata has a little over 1,400 miles but they said they'd never seen the problem on a 2011 Sonata, at their dealership. However, when they called the automated Hyundai repair line, it knew to tell them to replace the shifter.

I have to say that I was very impressed with the Hyundai dealer today. Of course this was a warranty issue but not only did they fix it quickly, they gave me the free rental with no questions asked, had the car up front waiting for me when I came back, washed the outside and vacuumed the inside. I've never taken my car anywhere for service and come back to find it washed and vacuumed. Couple that with the buying experience and I’m willing to look past the key problem as a fluke. Hopefully the car will keep running well because I love the way it drives.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Didn't want to start a new thread, but is this a common problem? It happened to me today, I thought I was going to have to leave my keys in the car at work with the gauges and radio still on. Finally after fumbling with it for 5 minutes I restarted the car, put in drive then back to park, and was able to get the key out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had this happen right after I completed the cup holder mod. To get the key out I just pushed the lever slightly forward so the button popped out completely.

To solve the problem permanently, I removed and reinstalled the shifter handle...since then I have been problem free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been having this problem on my gls with 80000mi . I removed the shifter knob and reinstalled it. It continues to be a problem. What is the solution to this problem. Does the plastic pin need dry lube? Do I need to make an adjustment. Buy a new shifter assembly?

Previously I replaced the transmission range sensor, that solve hard shifting problems that were occurring. I adjusted this cable and it had no effect on the shifter key ignition problem.

It's like the shift button spring is sticking

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well since you are all eager to know. This is what I found. Either improper adjustment or wear on the plastic housing is keeping the plastic inner rod from releasing from its outer steel housing. Without its realease the the keys will not release. We're talking about .010" (a R.C.H ). This wear is on the top radius of the slot in which the shift stick rides in. I taped a .010" plastic shim to the steel shifter stick and all my troubles were solved for the time being.

I'll keep you update at time progress. I can't say this is a permanent solution but it a quick cheap fix until I get part.... I'll upload a photo

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The pin on right side actuates a micro switch arm.. bend the arm on the micro switch..

·
Registered
1 Posts
32 Chevy.
I hope you read this... since your posting is most recent.
I have a 02 Santa Fe. 4 cly. Really like this vehicle... but the horror that I'm reading about the key situation and it has gone on for almost 12 yrs from posts I've seen... This night mare has now happened to me. I can not get the key out of the ignition. It is stuck.... a professional lock smith couldn't get it out... Never ever had this problem... I did have after purchasing this vehicle the timing belt smash and crashed the MOTOR. had a newer one put in (thank the lord it was under warranty).... okay back to this problem... WHY will Hyundai not put a recall on this... Your vehicle in this condition... and unable to fix it... hope they know we the owner would not have insurance coverage due to knowledgeable neglect. We know our key is nicely affixed to the ignition. we are liable for the event if it is stolen... so How do we get this taken care of... ??? I dont understand all the lingo you wrote in your posting. Can you please put this solution you found in short non mechanic terms please... I have done every posted type of solution... HELP>>>> I can not just leave my key in the car...

·
Registered
1 Posts
sonata stuck key in ignition removal

don't kill yourselves trying to figure it out ,turn your car on place the car in drive and back to park hard a couple of times
open the hood disconnect the positive terminal , go remove the key from the ignition and place the terminal back to its place
no science to it ,once you disconnect the terminal the solenoid opens ,it has happened to me several times in my 2014 sonata

thanks for taking the time to read this

·
Registered
1 Posts
the key is stuck in my 2011 Hyundai Sonata...I tried the different home remedies but the key is still stuck....I called the dealer and their canned response "bring it in for $69 diagnostic" my reply, you mean you haven't figured out by now....6 years of fixing the same problem and you need a "diagnostic"

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
the key is stuck in my 2011 Hyundai Sonata...I tried the different home remedies but the key is still stuck....I called the dealer and their canned response "bring it in for $69 diagnostic" my reply, you mean you haven't figured out by now....6 years of fixing the same problem and you need a "diagnostic"
Well, as you have tried the different home remedies, then you know that having a stuck key doesn't mean the reason for it being stuck is as the same as someone else's stuck key. Obvious since their remedies worked for them and not you. So, not unusual to charge for diagnostics. It makes people think twice before asking the dealer for help.

Let say some one has a stomach ache.
He goes to the doctor.
Should the doctor just give the person the same treatment for all stomach ache?
As you know, one reason could be gas.
Another could ulcers.
Do you treat them the same???

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Current shop rate at our place is $103/hr

·
Registered
1 Posts
under the left dash is a fuse panel, look for a yellow long wide piece and pull it straight out, your should be able to remove your key from the ignition. Also if you remove the positive from the battery you should be able to remove key.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just resolved this same issue on a friends's 2012 Sonata. Apparently 7 years of soda and coffee splashing in there gummed up the microswitch and it wasn't working. A blast of electronics cleaner made things work. For now, anyway.

I'm curious what that switch controls besides the key release mechanism. Does it have any other function other than that? I'm going to try and source a new switch, but in an emergency situation or if it fails again, I'm wondering if I could jumper those two wires on the switch together as a temporary measure until it can be properly repaired.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well, as you have tried the different home remedies, then you know that having a stuck key doesn't mean the reason for it being stuck is as the same as someone else's stuck key. Obvious since their remedies worked for them and not you. So, not unusual to charge for diagnostics. It makes people think twice before asking the dealer for help.

Let say some one has a stomach ache.
He goes to the doctor.
Should the doctor just give the person the same treatment for all stomach ache?
As you know, one reason could be gas.
Another could ulcers.
Do you treat them the same???
How many different causes are there for this key issue?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts