Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my car through ultra-hot weather and this problem has now developed. One time, when starting up the engine, the fuel tank was half full, but upon start-up it read as zero, then slowly climbed back to normal. The other day, I was idling waiting for the garage door to open, and the tank at 1/3 full dropped to zero, with the low fuel light showing up, and this did not resolve when I started up the car again the next day. When I filled it to full, it read as normal.

Hyundai wanted $99 to see if there are any check engine lights they could pull off. So I said, yea, I'll defer that. Any tips? I saw some threads talk about replacing some parts, another mentioned resoldering some connections.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The sending unit inside the fuel tank is probably going bad. You can access it by removing the bottom of the backseat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sending unit inside the fuel tank is probably going bad. You can access it by removing the bottom of the backseat.
I don't think I will be able to do that myself. What is the best option to fix this? Third party shop?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Usually if the low level light comes on you do have low fuel level. It's a sensor on the sender unit but it's fixed at a point and when uncovered from fuel it triggers the light. If you get mixed gauge readings and the light on and off without adding fuel I would probably start by unplugging the sender unit wiring and making sure it clean and tight then go from there.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't know about the Sonata but the Santa Fe had an epidemic of bad fuel senders, due to bad design. The sad part was that Hyundai took years to fix the problem with a redesigned sender and "repaired" many failures with the same failure prone part. There are two in the Santa Fe tank and either one failing can cause symptoms like yours. I thought it was fixed by 2011. A sender can still go bad. If you are not a garage junkie, this is not a job for you. You have to pull out a seat and a special tool.is needed to open the tank. Unless you have set of mechanics tools, ratchets breaker bar, etc. You will have to farm it out. It is a few hr. job if you know what you are doing. Been there, done that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Most auto parts stores will read the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) for free if there is a CEL (check engine light)
And I believe charlescrown is right. You should start by checking the connectors first.
See if it has any corrosion or not making good contact.

You don't want to tackle the big stuff first only to find out it was something simple or easier

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughters 2013 Elantra is having the same problem when she fills up the erratic is their a recall on this hatchey as she calls it is **** up

·
Registered
286 Posts
Most auto parts stores will read the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) for free if there is a CEL (check engine light)
And I believe charlescrown is right. You should start by checking the connectors first.
See if it has any corrosion or not making good contact.

You don't want to tackle the big stuff first only to find out it was something simple or easier

I don't think Advance does it for free anymore. Maybe too many DIYers taking advantage. Could just be the store in my area though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts