Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Hybrid Sonata Limited for a great price. I bought it used from an individual that's father recently passed and was selling it with some minor body damage from hitting the side of their garage.

The bumper itself is in decent shape with only a few scrapes and a tiny bit of paint missing, but what I'm most concerned about is the mounting tab is entirely gone/broken up into pieces.

Was wondering on the off chance if someone might have a spare beyond repair bumper laying around with a good drivers right side tab?

Also anyone know what type of plastic the bumper is made of? Some type of thermoplastic I assume. My plan is to try to plastic weld new tabs on and reinforce it with stainless steel mesh.

The picture below is a random picture I found but it shows the tab that I need. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would tend to just emulate that area of the broken plastic attach system and re-create the broken plastic with sheet metal tabs and bond them to the thermoplastic bumper with a good epoxy adhesive. Drill some holes in the sheet metal tab where it would bond and let the adhesive squeeze through a bit to ensure a slight mechanical attachment as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would tend to just emulate that area of the broken plastic attach system and re-create the broken plastic with sheet metal tabs and bond them to the thermoplastic bumper with a good epoxy adhesive. Drill some holes in the sheet metal tab where it would bond and let the adhesive squeeze through a bit to ensure a slight mechanical attachment as well.
I'm leaning towards plastic welding instead of epoxy as I think it will make a more reliable connection. I don't have the car yet in my possession yet due to the owner still waiting for the new title. If I can't make use of the existing broken tab material I may try to make a new tab out of some 1/8" polypropylene that i bought.

I believe that polypropylene is the material based on a plastic welding demonstration video of a 2011-2013 Sonata bumper that I saw.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Most likely the base plastic polymer of the bumper would be PP. Most of the interior panels area. Sometimes they us a talc filler in the plastics. Just not sure of how brittle the welded area would still be. Might need to do a combination of both welding and some reinforcement by bonding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to let everyone know that I successfully plastic welded the broken tab back on. It was broken in half and then sheared off the bumper. I used a plastic welder from Amazon (same unit as the harbor freight one) and used PP rods from harbor freight. Used quite a bit of stainless steel mesh.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that I successfully plastic welded the broken tab back on. It was broken in half and then sheared off the bumper. I used a plastic welder from Amazon (same unit as the harbor freight one) and used PP rods from harbor freight. Used quite a bit of stainless steel mesh.
Cool! it would be awesome to see some pictures of the process or at least the result.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool! it would be awesome to see some pictures of the process or at least the result.
https://imgur.com/a/lka4G9g

There ya go. I didn't take too many pictures of it.

The repair looks neater in person than it does in the pictures. Part of that though has to do with the fact that the PP rods I got were green in color not black. Also I sanded down some of the plastic welding areas so it would fit the bumper bracket.

I also had to replace the front right fender which was scratched and dented in. Luckily I got the same color fender from an LKQ yard and the color match seems perfect, so no need to paint it. I still need to touch up the bumper. Since the damage is so minor I don't want to repaint the whole bumper so I plan to air brush spot repair the bumper.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sounds like you're making it happen and getting some luck too. That is nice you're able to salvage and find the right color. Hope the plastic welding will hold up and not be too brittle during installation or what not (first time you tap a parking bumper/curb).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts