Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I researched, four years ago, HID low beams were the way to go. Is that still the case over LED replacements?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Do some searches and you will find many that have found LED to work as replacements. However, each LED "bulb" is different and works differently in each headlight housing. So, you need to look for those that have used each LED "bulb" in a matching housing as yours. I have a set that I got on sale from amazon. In our headlight housing, the light isn't focused down the road but instead about 20º or so to the sides. The bulbs are brighter than stock so they still illuminate down the road about the same as the original halogens but are much brighter to either side of the road. In time, I will continue testing different bulbs to see what works best, but in the YF, it has been reported many times that HID do well in the halogen projector housings we have.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That's a matter of opinion somewhat, but you need to investigate and figure out what works best for you.

For a low beam, right now I would stick with HID. For high beams, LED lamps vary so widely that you have to figure out the best compromise between good lighting and not blinding other drivers.

I did an extensive writeup about eight different LED kits about a month ago, and it's in the General forum because it applies to all vehicles. Look for the word "Tinsince" in the thread title.

I ended up with Opt7 Fluxbeam X LED high beams. Your mileage will vary...

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
we went with led, because i didnt want to go thru the wiringharnessballastresistorfunkybulb deal. plug'n play. low cost. loooong life. lower power drain. i worked at a dealer(not hyundai) and got kinda concerned about extreme cost. some cars, when the bulb went, not only was the new bulb expensive(300$), but it also needed a new resistor and igniter. so each side was about 1100$. plus, led is instant on, not pause to refresh hid. and hid no workee in halogen reflector housing. some may think it does, but it dont.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yes that is still the case, stick with HID's for your low beams. It's fine to use led in your high beams, but depending on how the bulb is made and what circuitry is in it will depend on if they work as designed or not.

I'm one of the few with the optimal setup for the stock projectors, I have XS HID 6000K low beams and Morimoto Led 5500K high beam/drl.

Low Beam
Low Beam.jpg

High Beam
High Beam.jpg

DRL
DRL.jpg

You can see the stock projectors do a good job of blocking off the light so you don't blind traffic but they tend to cut off at the sides very early. Reading street signs and seeing mail box numbers is very difficult with the stock projector.

So... I picked up the FX-R 3.0 projectors and custom brackets as well as some donor headlights to mod so I can get a crystal clear cutoff and a wider light output. I hope to start on the project soon, though I've had the parts for a couple months and just haven't had the time.

20170908_121317.jpg

Hope this answers your question, there's a couple headlight snobs (their words, not mine) on facebook you can talk to if you want to know specifics.

·
Registered
322 Posts
When I had Morimoto 2Strokes (H11) in my 2014 Elantra GT's stock headlight assemblies, they were IMO as good as the Morimoto Elite XB35 HID setup in my 2015 Accent Sport (stock projector headlight assemblies) and my Xenon Supply 5500K HID setup in my 2013 Sonata 2.0T. I'd still have them in there had it not been for a random shutdown issue with the LH bulb/voltage regulator (turning off and back on never failed to re-initialize the problematic side though).

That's my $.02.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Has anyone seen Xenon Supply kits for the YF's anymore? All it shows when I check their site is the fog light kits or the hybrid replacements.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for feed back everybody. Sounds like HID are still it and the consensus is the same away from this forum. I was just interested in personal opinion/ experience

Xenon Supply looks like is out of YF bussiness. I may just go with a well reviewed Amazon kit

·
Registered
937 Posts
Has anyone seen Xenon Supply kits for the YF's anymore? All it shows when I check their site is the fog light kits or the hybrid replacements.
Sadly XS's market strategy of making the customer happy did them in last year, but the site remained up. About 6 months ago or so the site changed to a bait and switch type site. You would click on the product and it would redirect you to some cheap hid's on amazon. More than likely someone bought the domain, grabbed the source code and then modified it to what it is now. I doubt it has anything to do with the original XS website.

With that being said the 35w Morimoto kit from TRS (The Retrofit Source) is the best way to go.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Youcould go to BMW of Birmingham (AL) and buy my former 2013Sonata Limited 2.0T (XS HID kit already installed!) which also has theexact same surface emission strip LED DRL aftermarket fog light assembliesC4RN1's Sonata has shown above. I traded it and my 2015Accent Sport (it too has the same style aftermarket fog lights as well) in there last Saturday for a new 2017 BMW X1 sDrive281 that ismy wife’s 25th Wedding Anniversary (on 12/26!!) gift.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Youcould go to BMW of Birmingham (AL) and buy my former 2013Sonata Limited 2.0T (XS HID kit already installed!) which also has theexact same surface emission strip LED DRL aftermarket fog light assembliesC4RN1's Sonata has shown above. I traded it and my 2015Accent Sport (it too has the same style aftermarket fog lights as well) in there last Saturday for a new 2017 BMW X1 sDrive281 that ismy wife’s 25th Wedding Anniversary (on 12/26!!) gift.
Sounds like a great idea, however, I have already purchased 2-sonata's this year and a trip to AL to get a third wouldn't go over so well. lol

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sadly XS's market strategy of making the customer happy did them in last year, but the site remained up. About 6 months ago or so the site changed to a bait and switch type site. You would click on the product and it would redirect you to some cheap hid's on amazon. More than likely someone bought the domain, grabbed the source code and then modified it to what it is now. I doubt it has anything to do with the original XS website.

With that being said the 35w Morimoto kit from TRS (The Retrofit Source) is the best way to go.
Sad to hear when that happens to good companies. I will check out the Morimoto kits.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Morimoto has outlived their overpriced products. Try Opt7 (Opt-7.com). They have a variety of AC and DC ballasts in both 35w & 55w from $45-$80 for HID lamps.

I used their Boltzen 35w 3000°k golden yellow kit for my fogs. I have their Fluxbeam X highs (LED).

Reactions: forgeinaz

·
Registered
322 Posts
IMO, the $160 I paid for my Morimoto XB35 HID's I put in my Accent Sport and the $120 I paid for my Morimoto 2Strokes for my Elantra GT were worth every penny. The performance of both was excellent.

That's my $.02.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Wow 25 years is a long time

Congratulations!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I my opinion and observation, HID works better vis-a-vis halogen. For my 2012, all lights are HID's 55 watts with quick start A/C ballasts purchased from an online seller in hong kong, there is no specific brand. I have not tried any LED's yet but once I decide to get a set, it has to be a better than HID.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The X1 sDrive28i I bought my wife has adaptive LED headlights as well as a variable array at each front corner that performs a cornering light function. Regardless of the roundel on each end of the car, this lighting system is hands down the best we've ever had and is absolutely amazing. The 4.5 hour drive back home (arriving @ 3:00 AM too) to west TN from Birmingham, AL goes through a number of rural areas that have zero overhead street lighting and I never used the high beams once the entire time (no fog lights either).

It was a car buying experience we will never forget either. The vehicle was a former BMW Executive car (not a former service loaner nor previously titled) with a hair over 8K on the odometer. Therefore, we got the balance of the 3 year/36K maintenance plan, 4 year/50K base warranty and the CPO unlimited mileage warranty ending five years from its July 2017 in-service date. We got .9% A.P.R. for 48 months (our first payment nearly eliminates the interest of the entire loan) and paid just over $30.8K for a vehicle with a stickered M.S.R.P. of $46,750.

My wife is beside herself with happiness. I'm done hijacking the thread now too :).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Ordered the OPT7 Bolt cyclones(no reviews yet). Their claim is a good as the BOLT kit but cheaper and cooler looking ballasts. Not that i want red LED, in a blue car, but going to try them out. Should be installed this weekend, and I am returning the LED due to poor down-road light.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JGFCHL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Completed the install....took longer than is should because I have a habit of dropping my tools in the engine bay. Since we have that nice shield down there to catch them, I had to jack the car up and remove it to get my tools back. I first tested running factory wiring to anti-flicker harnesses to ballasts to make sure they worked. Then took out the anti-flicker harnesses and put in the relay harness to take the load off of the factory harness. Looking AT the headlights they look VERY nice. I will snap some pics tomorrow. I did a quick test of the light down the street and am happy with the improvement over the LEDs that were there. The light down-road seems a little yellow, but that could just be me adjusting to 5000K HID vs the 6000K LED that were in there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts