Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Zune HD mp3 player and it does not work when connected to the USB input. Has anyone gotten a Zune to work with the USB input or am I simply SOL? I know I can connect up via the aux input, but then i have to control it via the Zune.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
will not work via usb. from experience

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (fear24 @ Nov 17 2010, 05:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372514
will not work via usb. from experience

Shocker... Another platform Zune isn't compatible with. I have an older zune 8GB and i've been getting connection errors also - although in theory it should work fine since i'ts just a USB plugin. Looks like I officially have no use for it anymore. It's too bad because the desktop software is much better than anything else out there..

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i have both generations...and neither will work via usb alone. i don't believe the ipod will either, at least my wifes nor daughters would work thru the usb only. had to have the aux cable supplied thru Hyundai. however, i didn't want to mess with hiding my zune when not in car...many times i leave the windows down or partially down due to the temps here. i purchased a 16gb flash drive...copied the music and works better in my opinion. just my .02

·
Registered
544 Posts
QUOTE (andonekid @ Jun 7 2011, 10:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=457431
Shocker... Another platform Zune isn't compatible with. I have an older zune 8GB and i've been getting connection errors also - although in theory it should work fine since i'ts just a USB plugin. Looks like I officially have no use for it anymore. It's too bad because the desktop software is much better than anything else out there..
You can buy a player that doesn't need software to load/unload music. Those are always the better choice, anyway... Simply buy a USB thumb drive and use that. Like the iPod (unless something has changed), the Zune requires software to be able to load music files, so unless the Sonata was specifically made to work with the Zune, it won't. It works with the iPod because Hyundai made it that way. The only reason you don't see more devices made for the Zune is because more people were naive enough to buy into Apple's hoopla. Suggesting that something is not compatible with the Zune is a bit of a misnomer, too; if something is made specifically for the iPod, for example, then it won't be compatible with anything else. Blaming the Zune for that is like blaming Microsoft for not being able to play XBox 360 games in your PS3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the advice - I should have realized it required drivers but thought if the Ipod 'just worked' this should too..

On buying a flash drive - I bristle at the idea of having to store music on yet another device - I already have a zune and an android phone which I've been keeping up to date w/ music. Has anyone on here used their android phone to play their music? Not sure why, but while driving I like my mp3 player to play mp3's and my phone to be my phone, although I'm slowly realizing the inevitability of one device that will need to do both.

I guess I can only blame myself for investing in a failing platform, and the Zune marketing team for never being able to make it as ubiquitous as the iPod, in which case companies like Hyundai would be forced to make their devices compatible with it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
QUOTE (andonekid @ Jun 7 2011, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=457633
Thanks for the advice - I should have realized it required drivers but thought if the Ipod 'just worked' this should too..

On buying a flash drive - I bristle at the idea of having to store music on yet another device - I already have a zune and an android phone which I've been keeping up to date w/ music. Has anyone on here used their android phone to play their music? Not sure why, but while driving I like my mp3 player to play mp3's and my phone to be my phone, although I'm slowly realizing the inevitability of one device that will need to do both.

I guess I can only blame myself for investing in a failing platform, and the Zune marketing team for never being able to make it as ubiquitous as the iPod, in which case companies like Hyundai would be forced to make their devices compatible with it.
You can't really blame Microsoft unless you get mad at them for not using misleading or ridiculous marketing to promote their music players a la Apple. The Zune line has been as good as or better than the iPod in terms of actual music play since inception. The problem is the general public is naive...thus, you had no control over the Zune's direction.

I use my phone as a phone (and mobile PC), and I use an MP3 player to play MP3s because that is what they were designed to do and are best at. If you go to a phone for music playback (or any Apple product, I should add), you lose audio quality and customization ability. My MP3 player operates just like a USB drive, so when it is plugged into my Sonata it is read (as long as the battery needs charging). Other MP3 players that are effectively USB drives with added firmware and hardware to support music playback *should* work the same.

If you really are contemplating your mobile device usage, I'll give you some guidance:
Unless you want something flashy and top-of-the-line, I would look into a Sansa Clip+. They have good audio quality and are relatively inexpensive. Just be mindful of your required storage space. If you want to go all out for audio quality (and you have quality earbuds to go along), I suggest Cowon. They are very expensive, though! Also keep in mind that if you don't have quality music files (i.e. they were bought from iTunes or are low bitrate MP3s), I would not bother to invest in a Cowon.

For what it's worth (and to emphasize that I'm not simply talking out of my rear), I've owned a Cowon iAudio X5, a Zune 2, and a Cowon J3. I have also used a Sansa Clip (which I bought for my mom a couple years back since she doesn't care as much about audio quality to warrant getting her a Cowon), though I am not nearly as experienced with them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
QUOTE (andonekid @ Jun 7 2011, 03:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=457633

It's tough to oust the item/brand that is first to market. The Zune is superior to the iPod in so many ways (wifi sync'ing for one so I can leave it in my car) but Zune is a foreign word to so many people and people fear the unknown. The Zune devices won't be produced any longer but Windows Phones are basically based on the Zune user interface and use the same Zune Mgmt software. For now we are out of luck it seems. I've heard rumors of improved/upgraded Microsoft software in Hyundai vehicles in the near future but that doesn't really help the 2011 model users....

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have been using my Zune HD in my Sonata since day ONE! Yes, its true that you cannot plug in the USB port but a double sided audio cord (not sure about the technical name) works just fine. The sound quality is 10X better than FM or XM but unfortunately you cannot charge it at the same time. Overall, it works great you just have to remember to charge it the night before. Oh, and the Zune pass for $14.99 per month with unlimited music and 10 downloads beats anything Ipod offers hands down!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts