Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be going back to my dealer next week for them to try to eliminate my wind noise problem.
This will be my 7th visit for this problem. Most of the time they claim they don't hear it, then finally,
I had a district mgr. go for a ride and he heard it. My salesman also can hear it, so I know I'm not nuts.
They adjusted the door on my last visit, the district mgr. test drove it and told me the problem is fixed.
I contacted him a few days later and told him it's not.
They are having some regional service guy take a look at it next week.
For some reason, they have resisted changing out the weatherstrip, which would have been my idea.
After they adjusted the door, it is now out of alignment at the bottom rear, and the problem persists.

Anyone else with a similar problem?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure on the Sonata but many vehicles have a felt lining at the back end of the fenders on the inside where the fender ends and transitions to the door, fills in the open "C" shapped area at the back end of the fenders. See if you have on one side but not the other, wind can come in from this direction also.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Sep 10 2010, 03:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355530
Anyone else with a similar problem?
As an owner (and ex-owner) or many luxury cars, I can tell you right now there's NO SILENT CAR is you're going fast enough :grin:. Closest has been my Lexus LS, which was the quietest cars a few years ago, but has been surpassed by much more expensive top-of-the-line models from Mercedes and BMW, which I'll never buy. Those cars have double-paned glass, quadruple door seals, tons of sound deadening, etc. And yes, all that crap weighs a lot too.

Having said that, cars in this price segment are going to be noisy, especially at speed, and even more so with a 4-banger. My first recommendation on this kind of wrong expectation is to drive another car or two, so you know if it's a problem with your car or just the way the car is made. I suspect it's the latter (especially before your dealer messed with it), but could be wrong. Another issue is rough asphalt; it can get deafening when traveling on this kind of asphalt, common in crappy TX and NM roads. We just need to avoid them whenever possible.

And finally, to make you feel better, this car is as noisy on the highway as an Accord V6 EX-L, AND an almost three-times more expensive M3, so it's not that bad. Only car quieter in this segment is the Camry, but for that little difference, rather drive something more appealing than an appliance :grin:. If you want something quieter at slower speeds you need a V6. And for something even quieter you need to step up to the 'near-luxury' segment, like Acura TL, Lexus ES350, etc. You want an even quieter ride? Then you're talking a true luxury car like the Lexus LS460, BMW 750, etc. And for the absolute quietest ride possble, you need to jump to the top echelon of luxury vehicles, like the V12 offerings from the Germans, or the insanely expensive cars from Bentley, Rolls Royce, etc. That's just the way it is.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Actually, my Limited has developed some wind noise at the driver's door. I had the opportunity to drive another Sonata a couple of weeks ago, and it did not have this particular noise. My dealer will check it at the next service. I suspect door adjustment, and or weatherstrip need replacing.

Not a huge deal, but something that should be able to be adjusted.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (jsmit86 @ Sep 10 2010, 08:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355581
Actually, my Limited has developed some wind noise at the driver's door. I had the opportunity to drive another Sonata a couple of weeks ago, and it did not have this particular noise. My dealer will check it at the next service. I suspect door adjustment, and or weatherstrip need replacing.

Not a huge deal, but something that should be able to be adjusted.
Good luck. I hope it doesn't take as many visits to fix your problem.

I drove a demo at the dealership and had absolutely no noise.
This is a problem with my particular Sonata.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (jsmit86 @ Sep 10 2010, 08:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355581

Good luck. I hope it doesn't take as many visits to fix your problem.

I drove a demo at the dealership and had absolutely no noise.
This is a problem with my particular Sonata.
Only 7 visits for wind noise by the drivers window? I've been 9 times now and it STILL isn't fixed. The noise is very irritating at highway speeds, especially if there are crosswinds.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Only 7 visits for wind noise by the drivers window? I've been 9 times now and it STILL isn't fixed. The noise is very irritating at highway speeds, especially if there are crosswinds.
Mine has been fixed several times. Sometimes it's good for a couple of months. The last fix lasted a couple of hours. I think they need to replace both seals; the one on the door, and the one on the body.

I will give it another shot on my next service. This has been a minor annoyance on a car the has generally been very good.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Might try to find a way that air is coming in....like drive through a forest fire. :) That would at least give some indication as to where it's coming from. Try one of those pressure washer car washes. Spray all around the door, dry the outside and see where water got in.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Go all the way around the door closing it on a dollar bill. Pull on the squished bill and find where it has the least resistance. They should have done that first at the dealership. From there you find a way to tighten it up... Good quality black electrical tape is often used for this purpose. Scotch 33 comes to mind. Don't over compensate or it might start leaking air elsewhere along the seals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts