Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only reason I even test drove the new Sonata is because I was researching the hybrid. I didn't want to wait until what I thought would be closer to the end of the year and coming in at $27k. If it goes as low as $25k, it'll be cheaper after the federal tax credit than my GLS which came in at $22k MSRP. 172 miles more per fillup, 38 mpg over 26 mpg, probably quieter, keyless entry, push button start, and probably less buggy. The only cons I see is that the front doesn't look as good (where is the license plate going???) and the trunk space seems very limited. I could probably tolerate those issues for less total cost of ownership.

Anyone else having regrets?

·
Registered
854 Posts
No regrets. I have the car I needed NOW.

·
Banned
630 Posts
the problem with hybrids (i guess not an issue if you lease) is the maintenance after warranty is over. The batteries need to be replaced every 7 years and you are looking at like a $5k bill (if they cost any where near Prius levels) to get what 3mpg more??

the ends don't justify the means IMO

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 29 2010, 08:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337088
the problem with hybrids (i guess not an issue if you lease) is the maintenance after warranty is over. The batteries need to be replaced every 7 years and you are looking at like a $5k bill (if they cost any where near Prius levels) to get what 3mpg more??

the ends don't justify the means IMO
Exactly. Do the math and you'll realize that you might be saving money every time you fill up, but in the long run, you're the loser and Hyundai is the winner. This is pretty true with most hybrids.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yeah if it was getting 60mpg it might be a different story. Also I don't like the front end of the hybrid because I hate chryslers.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Very true on cost. Same goes with th e Jetta TDI which was on my list of cars to buy. The oil changes and diesel maintenance ended up costing more then a gas car over 4 years of ownership. I passed on the Ford fusion even though our company offers the x-plan because it didn't have what I wanted. The Sonata is a great car so far. 2600 miles in one month and no problems yet.

·
Registered
367 Posts
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ Jun 29 2010, 09:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337089
Exactly. Do the math and you'll realize that you might be saving money every time you fill up, but in the long run, you're the loser and Hyundai is the winner. This is pretty true with most hybrids.

That is correct. You can see many independent studies about the total cost of ownership of a Prius compared to other cars such as elantra and honda fit. That in the long run it would take almost 7+ years of ownership at an average of 13K-15K miles a year to break even in cost. Thats not including the purchase/repair of the batteries.

Hybrids are only good for a lease vehicle or if you purchase new vehicles every few years. I know a lot of people in the DC area lease them because they allow you to use the HOV lanes without the additional passenger. (shorter commute times).

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Jun 29 2010, 10:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337108
Very true on cost. Same goes with th e Jetta TDI which was on my list of cars to buy. The oil changes and diesel maintenance ended up costing more then a gas car over 4 years of ownership. I passed on the Ford fusion even though our company offers the x-plan because it didn't have what I wanted. The Sonata is a great car so far. 2600 miles in one month and no problems yet.
If you dont mind me asking, what was the Fusion missing? Thats the other car thats competing for my purchase (as I also have Xplan), but the issues with the waterfall/sloshing coolant have me fairly cool towards it right now.

And from what I have seen the break even cost for Hybrids is about seven years without replacing anythign other than normal maint items: IE no battery.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ Jun 29 2010, 08:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337089
True, except that Hyundai is not the winner. Hyundai is pretty much pressured into producing the
hybrid, and they'll be lucky if they break even.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ Jun 29 2010, 10:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337123
True, except that Hyundai is not the winner. Hyundai is pretty much pressured into producing the
hybrid, and they'll be lucky if they break even.
everything of theirs is made in korea...the labor rate has to be cheaper there than here..if they weren't making money, they wouldn't be in business

·
Registered
25 Posts
The one reason I'd want the Hybrid is the front end. I like it a lot. It's unusual, granted, but appealing. The standard Sonata grill is a bit dull for my tastes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Seriously, you have to do the math for your own needs. I did the math myself, and I likely won't be getting the hybrid. I put on above average miles every year, so it was an intriguing choice. But when I did the math I would be saving maybe $5000, over ten years, at the cost of higher insurance and greatly reduced trunk space. That was if I could get it at or below invoice, with the $3500 tax credit, and ignores the cost of any problems over that 10 years with a first-year manufactured car incorporating their first attempt and very complicated technology. Does anyone think they are really going to get this at or below invoice? Does anyone really think this car won;t have serious issues in its first year? :whistling:

If you want a good deal, wait until the hybrid drops and get an SE or Limited 2.4l in December. Every customer wanting an SE will be looking at the 2.0T. Everyone else will be looking at closing that limited hybrid. The plain-jane 2.4-engined ones should sell for well below invoice, after rebate and holdback, so you will probably save more in cash that you would on the cash-equivalent of gasoline in an overpriced hybrid.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I just skimmed most of the replies to this thread and I don't think that I read anything about the other reasons to own a hybrid. Using less fuel and thinking you are doing something to lower your carbon footprint. That being said, the break-even point on many hybrids is not that much these days. I think there was an article in a Consumer Reports that had it pretty low for the Prius, Fusion and I assume the Hyundai since all are only slightly higher in price than there ICE counterparts.

That being said, I really don't give a s*** about carbon footprints or using less fuel because I think it all is a crock! But hey, Hybrids are fun to drive too!

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Jun 29 2010, 10:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337110
If you dont mind me asking, what was the Fusion missing? Thats the other car thats competing for my purchase (as I also have Xplan), but the issues with the waterfall/sloshing coolant have me fairly cool towards it right now.

And from what I have seen the break even cost for Hybrids is about seven years without replacing anythign other than normal maint items: IE no battery.
I thought the Fusion was missing power. It seemed weak and noisy. Otherwise, a decent car, but the Sonata seemed better.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Jun 29 2010, 12:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337167
I just skimmed most of the replies to this thread and I don't think that I read anything about the other reasons to own a hybrid. Using less fuel and thinking you are doing something to lower your carbon footprint. That being said, the break-even point on many hybrids is not that much these days. I think there was an article in a Consumer Reports that had it pretty low for the Prius, Fusion and I assume the Hyundai since all are only slightly higher in price than there ICE counterparts.

That being said, I really don't give a s*** about carbon footprints or using less fuel because I think it all is a crock! But hey, Hybrids are fun to drive too!
so what you're saying is, you don't understand why ppl aren't considering the hybrid from a carbon-footprint reduction standpoint, but you also don't agree or care about it either....

I think most hybrid owners are doing it for the gas savings and/or coolness factor...I doubt there are ppl who really care about carbon footprints, but then again I've seen worse

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm saying I didn't see that as a reason listed in the discussion when in fact there must be a percentage of people who buy them because they help to lower their carbon footprint as well as save fuel.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The Fusion just didn't have the power and it got worse mileage. The forums talked about a weak drive train and poor quality over time. I need the long warranty and good mpg. The Fusion also had so many options it was a **** mess trying to find what I wanted. I wanted the sport look but good looks and the only Fusion I liked was the sport model which came with a huge v6 engine that got close to 25 on the highway. For that I would buy a small compact suv.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
eyecue, you make a good point. It was also something I was thinking about. When the Sonata Hybrid arrives, the Lexus CT will be coming out soon, maybe the Sonata Hybrid will come out with a wagon version, the new Elantra Touring Hybrid wouldn't be too far off, etc. etc. At that rate, I would never buy a new car. Of course, let's not forget the Hyundai Blue Will. My new Sonata will last me until someone actually builds that AWD plug-in hybrid hatchback with 5 star crash test results and good rear visibility (so no Prius rearview).

NT2SHBBY, wow. You really, really hate hybrids. No Prius battery has ever been replaced to my knowledge. If you have evidence to support your claim, please provide a link (from a non-right wing source :). And 3 mpg more? 38-26 = 12 mpg more.

Proprioceptive, I did the math. $25k-$3.4k = $21.6k. A base automatic with nothing added on is $20,195. $21,600-$20,195 = $1,405. At 38mpg for 10,000 with $3/gal, you pay $789 a year. At 26mpg for 10,000 with $3/gal, you pay $1,154 a year. $1,154-$789 = $365. $1,405/$365 = 3.85 years. That's about 4 years with interest accrued. If you drove it for 10 years, you'd save over $2k.

yjbeach, most of those comparisons are not apples to apples in my IMO. Besides, I'm not talking about Prius vs Fit. I'm talking about Sonata GLS vs hybrid.

bobad, Hyundai may lose money on the hybrid but will end up with gains for the company as a whole, e.g., I test drove a Sonata GLS because of the hybrid. It's great PR...not so much for members of this forum though. The Prius did wonders for Toyota. The Leaf is/will be doing wonders for Nissan.

NT2SHBBY again, the labor rate is not cheaper in Korea vs Alabama to my knowledge. Korea vs Michigan might be another story.

mostholycerebus, the Elantra in Korea already has LiPo batteries. I've heard no complaints. You are probably right about the deals though. I got my GLS for $1,800 below MSRP. That may not happen with the hybrid until 2011 when the federal tax credit no longer exists.

Bingo Steve, I'm not going to argue about carbon footprints or global warming with you, but are you saying you don't care about basic air pollution or reducing our dependence on oil from countries like Saudi Arabia? That's a national security issue, not a crock.

I knew this wasn't PriusChat.com, but geez. Sorry I brought it up. Haha.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I once read somewhere that hybrids use more plastics and have a larger carbon footprint than a regular car since many of them were being shipped over seas which burns fuel.

I think climate change is real just not sure we are really causing it or it is a huge political move to garner more power and more money. But this is a car forum so not getting into that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts