Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Periodically since I have had my SE I have experienced a loud thump/wack sound when the right wheels hit a slightly raised bump such as a manhole cover or road patch. This sound seems to come somewhere in the area from the right rear door to the right rear wheelwell. It is similar to the sound of a rock flying off the tire hitting the inside fender, but is much more severe. The sequence as the tires hit the bump is thump, thump, wack!

This can be repeated easily by hitting the same manhole cover or road patch. This does not occur when hitting a uniform bump such as a set of railroad tracks that both sets of tires hit simultaineously.

I have looked under the car for loose exhaust hangers, wheelwell trim, lines, etc. The rear seatbacks are tightly latched, and the spare tire is secure. I suspected the front passanger seatbelt buckle hitting the trim because it can make a loud wack that is close to the sound. This has been ruled out simply by buckling the belt and hitting a road bump.

I will be taking my car to the dealer in a couple of weeks for the first oil change and will take a test drive with the service manager to see if they have any ideas.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a new car once that would make a good thump on one side when going over bad bumps. Turns out the right rear suspention was not fastened to the vehicle. :angry:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes, I hear this noise from the right rear of my GLS every so often as well. Sounds like a rock getting bounced in the wheel well...a large rock. First time I heard it was a few weeks ago. I thought something had hit the car, but I was all alone on the road at the time. It has happened a couple of times since then. Not really worried about it until it becomes more repeatable. My car has other interior noises that need to get resolved first. One thing at a time :grin:

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have heard something very similar twice now. As you described my noise sounded like very large rock hitting inner wheel well. Once I thought it was the right rear and the other time the left front. Both times I was the only person in the car when it happened. This did not occur during the first 2500 miles or a fully loaded 1000 mile trip. Odd. Keeping an eye out for it to happen again?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I heard the same loud bang today for the first time on my GLS - I have 800 miles

I thought I hit something on highway and nothing was there.

Any ideas what it is?

Not too happy about it.

Bob

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (bad1550 @ Jun 30 2010, 09:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337626
I heard the same loud bang today for the first time on my GLS - I have 800 miles

I thought I hit something on highway and nothing was there.

Any ideas what it is?

Not too happy about it.

Bob
I assume that it was on a smooth road. At least a couple of the forumites have experienced it in this thread

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...st&p=327873

PS I just noticed that I posted a description of my problem a day after you posted about a glove box rattle in the same thread. My apologies if you have seen it already.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also had the same issue with my RPM staying over 4,000 and not changing gear after the loud noise.

On the drive home everything seemed ok?

Bob

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (bad1550 @ Jun 30 2010, 11:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337663
I also had the same issue with my RPM staying over 4,000 and not changing gear after the loud noise.

On the drive home everything seemed ok?

Bob

My 4000 rpm incident happened about 2 weeks later. I was doing less than 50kpu when the revs suddenly went up. There was no noise this time -other than the engine pitch going up. It never happened again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i took mine to the dealer today, they couldn't look into the problem so i have to go back on the 13th smh................but he said it feels like the suspension is a bit loose and could be something in the coupling...

on a brighter note i did get my cargo net and mudflaps put on!

the flaps flow really well with the car i was quite surprised.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:banana: Problem solved!

Today I jacked up the right rear so that I could get a better look at the bottom looking for anything loose that would cause the whack and rattle sounds. As the car was rising I was looking at the right rear upper shock mount. This has a two ear flange flush with the upper wheel well. The rear flange bolt was missing and the flange looked like it had slightly separated on the left side. Quick trip to Auto Zone for a 10mm x 1.25 thread bolt and washers to match the right bolt that I removed for sizing. Neither the original right bolt or the new bolt would fully thread into the left hole. Lacked about 3/8 inches. The original right bolt is about 1.5 inches long. Added flat washers to the new left bolt and tightened flange.

Test drive followed with dead quiet upon hitting the bumps that originally would cause the whack sound.

Oil change to be scheduled in the next two weeks and I will have the dealer reinstall OEM bolts and investigate/correct the threading issue.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Any chance you could take a pic of what you're talking about? I too have experienced a noise similar to this in my SE. I thought at first it was the seatbelt banging against the b pillar, but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (jwaters943 @ Jul 4 2010, 01:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338780
Any chance you could take a pic of what you're talking about? I too have experienced a noise similar to this in my SE. I thought at first it was the seatbelt banging against the b pillar, but now I'm not so sure.
No need for a picture as this is very easy to see and check. Just look at the shock above the tire in the rear wheel well. At the top of the shock you should see two bolts on a flange, one left and one right. I only had one. It is much easier to see if you jack uo the car as if changing that tire.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Okay, thanks. :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Thump/whack

I hear the thump when my wife jumps into the car, Whack when she hits me at the back of the head...

This is usually followed by "get going" :grin:

Sorry just couldn't resist, I fought this urge for days and just had to post it..... :banana:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hav a SE with 1600 mi. about a week ago i was in back seat with my boys on the freeway and i nodded off a bit and a loud bang woke me up. i yelled at the wife for hitting the debris in the road, i looked around and there was nothing there. today she was on the freeway and she heard a bang she pulled over and did a walkaround no damage , tires ok . she took off and the car wouldn't shift, it was in like 3rd gear, she took it up to 4500rpm -nothing, when in town coming off stop sign in 3rd slooow starts. she did her cleaning job and called me. it seemed to shift normally to get to the dealer.when we got there the lady in service was very understanding and had the service tech pull the codes off comp. i was thinking that there wouldn't be any if was a "hard "part gone bad one that didn't have a sensor on it. well thankfully I was wrong they got a code , made a few phone calls and now it's getting a new transmission, they got us a rental. hope that that'll fix it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
QUOTE (jwaters943 @ Jul 4 2010, 01:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338780
Thats the thump i always hear too. thankfully the only one so far. i usually drive with all 4 windows down and the wind catches that other seatbelt all the time.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I get this thump on the front driver side...how does this lead to tranny failure like the other guy is said to have done by the dealer ?

anyhow this is bad

1 - 20 of 30 Posts