Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our 2011 Sonata SE for like 3 weeks. Tonight we came out from Wal-Mart and when I pressed the Start button the engine got stuck in some kind of loop for 10-15 seconds. It did not start but was "turning over" repeatedly like it was attempting to start. Finally it just quit. I again depressed the brake pedal and pressed Start. This time it started normally. This is very, very worrying to me on a brand new car. Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW, this happen to me on Monday! I turned it off after about 5 secs and then it started up normally. I don't know what to make of it but haven't really thought about it until I read this. I'm not going to worry about it until it happens again. I've had my car for 3 months (2200 miles)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (anthony7 @ Dec 3 2010, 11:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376836
WOW, this happen to me on Monday! I turned it off after about 5 secs and then it started up normally. I don't know what to make of it but haven't really thought about it until I read this. I'm not going to worry about it until it happens again. I've had my car for 3 months (2200 miles)
Interesting. Thanks. Only a few weeks in and already I have a BAD feeling about this car......

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (mario64 @ Dec 4 2010, 07:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376894
Interesting. Thanks. Only a few weeks in and already I have a BAD feeling about this car......
Why do you have a bad feeling? This is a first year re-designed from-the-ground-up car so you should of expected that there would be some glitches. Just because you
had one glitch doesn't mean the car is going to be crap from here on. That's why we have a 5 year warranty to take care of these issues. Just don't worry and enjoy
your Sonata.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (wozzy @ Dec 4 2010, 04:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376950
Why do you have a bad feeling? This is a first year re-designed from-the-ground-up car so you should of expected that there would be some glitches. Just because you
had one glitch doesn't mean the car is going to be crap from here on. That's why we have a 5 year warranty to take care of these issues. Just don't worry and enjoy
your Sonata.
Well, my other cars have been Mazda, Toyota and BMW. None of them have ever glitched at all. I hope you're right though.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Was it really cold out? If so, it could have just been the weather. I've only had mine not fire on the first attempt but it was minus 45 celcius and was parked outside for 8 hours. So was expecting it to struggle but did start. 4 other cars from other employees didn't start at all and needed boosts.

But like others mentioned, first model year car regardless of brand is gonna have some issues that will be worked out, just give them some time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Souks @ Dec 4 2010, 06:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376976
Was it really cold out? If so, it could have just been the weather. I've only had mine not fire on the first attempt but it was minus 45 celcius and was parked outside for 8 hours. So was expecting it to struggle but did start. 4 other cars from other employees didn't start at all and needed boosts.

But like others mentioned, first model year car regardless of brand is gonna have some issues that will be worked out, just give them some time.
No not really. It was in the upper 30's to low 40's Fahrenheit I'd say. Not cold enough to cause start issues.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
QUOTE (mario64 @ Dec 3 2010, 08:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376786
We've had our 2011 Sonata SE for like 3 weeks. Tonight we came out from Wal-Mart and when I pressed the Start button the engine got stuck in some kind of loop for 10-15 seconds. It did not start but was "turning over" repeatedly like it was attempting to start. Finally it just quit. I again depressed the brake pedal and pressed Start. This time it started normally. This is very, very worrying to me on a brand new car. Anyone else seen this?
Same thing happened to me about a month after I bought my SE. **** engine turned over for like 45 seconds before I hit the button! Let it rest for about 10 seconds then pressed the button again and it started right up. Has not happened since and I have 8200 miles now.

My guess is that the smart key system glitched and began cranking the starter before the ignition modules were told to fire.

Of course I'm not a Hyundai tech, so I could just be talking out of the side of my neck.

If it really bothers you, take your car into the dealer and let em check it over. Personally, I would roll with it and call it a fluke of nature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts