Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pretty much decided to trade in mine for the turbo.
Dealer told me it will be out in early-mid Nov.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was going to buy a Gen Coupe, then reconsidered after considering the Sonata Turbo more. Now I'm still between Gen Coupe, Sonata 2.4l SE, and the Sonata 2.0t SE. Decisions decisions. I might give up on the turbo if I can't find one by year end(my current car needs to be passed on in the family). Opinions on which way to go?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was seriously considering returning my car to stock and trading it in for the turbo. That is until I found out it will not come with the panoramic roof. When they decide to add it to the turbo, I might reconsider.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Oct 12 2010, 04:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363034
I've pretty much decided to trade in mine for the turbo.
Dealer told me it will be out in early-mid Nov.
why u need turbo? u think u can make 160mph on highway? or what? i have 198 hp and this is enough for city or on interstate. it is better to upgrade interior and exterior for cash difference

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Considering the Turbo gives you nothing more than a turbo the price difference is a bit harder to swallow if buying new and harder more if you want to trade in. I'm sure Hyundai will sell them all and have waiting list but considering the little 2.4 is more than enough power I'll rather be able to get a bigger discount on a normal Sonata and then spend the 3 - 4k difference on new wheels, dual exhaust and other upgrades to make it look nice like someone else mentioned. Now if the turbo gave you LED and HID and maybe sport seating or something else of value then It makes the decision a no brainer.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Nope. I already have a turbo and cant keep my foot out of it. I get a turbo for the 'Nata and the reason I got it (Better fuel efficiency); I might as well have kept my gas guzzler premium requiring Nissan. :)

I think they will be fun cars, but that isn't the role of my Sonata.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Oct 12 2010, 05:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363053
the standar 2.4 gdi is pretty powerful as it is, are u sure u want to take a hit on the trade in ?
it's at least 4k loss.
My dealer said they would allow $19k on my GLS. I only have 1,600 miles on it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Souks @ Oct 13 2010, 01:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363126
Considering the Turbo gives you nothing more than a turbo the price difference is a bit harder to swallow if buying new and harder more if you want to trade in.
It is about $1,500 more than a normally aspirated SE model.

I may just get an SE after reading these posts.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Oct 13 2010, 01:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363215
It is about $1,500 more than a normally aspirated SE model.

I may just get an SE after reading these posts.
The price you pay will most likely be higher than that though because you can get non Turbo SEs for below MSRP pretty easily, whereas the Turbo most likely will be harder to negotiate. Just keep that in mind as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I thought about the Turbo and Hybrid models before pulling the trigger on a "plain jane" one.

While my Sonata will be driven 90% of the time (mostly highway) and is my daily commuter, it is faster than the Sonata it replaces and really that's good enough for me and what I need it to do. From a power standpoint, it feels like the old 4.0L v6 I had in my 2006 Mustang except way more refined. This car can move out of it's own way and when I need a burst of speed to get around traffic or what have you, it's always there. Heck I was able to keep up with my friend's Turbo Jetta a couple weeks ago when we went on a little jaunt via the interstate and she tried to pull away from me. I'm sure if I tried I could have taken her! The previous statement is not an admission or endorsement of street racing...it's strictly for entertainment purposes only. We now return you to this thread, already in progress. 198hp/200hp is more than sufficient for myself and like I said before the power feels like that of my old Mustang which to me is perfect in a daily driver. Besides I have a fast/sporty like car to whip out whenever I feel antsy. I don't see myself trading this car in for the Turbo model because it's just not worth it to me. I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes but I don't see myself taking a hit just to get one. As for the Hybrid model, with my commute being 70% highway this car would never pay dividends for me because it would almost never be driven in such a manner where I would reap the benefits of owning one. As it is, I drive as efficiently as I can when traffic allows and out of habit I tend to turn off my car if I'm stuck at a traffic light where one side changes at a time. Even though it's projected at 39mpg highway, I probably wouldn't see more than the 32 - 33mpg that I'm getting in my Sonata right now. Not too mention I got a great financing deal on my Sonata and I don't see that ship coming around this way again.

93 Posts
I think a major benefit of the 2011 Sonata 2.0T would be folks living in higher elevations i.e. folks in Colorado. I personally struggled a bit with getting the standard 2.4L with 198hp vs waiting for the 2.0T. Knowing the upgrade charge is only $1,600 I might have waited. I would imagine there is a huge difference in performance when driving in Colorado with a Turbo vs non-Turbo?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kinda would be. That's why there are so many wrx's, sti's and evos around and turbos are funner to drive in my opinion. but not necessary up here overall. Awd isn't even necessary. It does help and works better to get around tho.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Trust me, you WONT get the EPA gas mileage. If you have ever owned a boosted motor you cant keep your foot out of it unless you are dead. If you want fun to drive factor, get a turbo. If you want MPG get a NA. You wont get both. Trust me.

Turbo is going to be fun to drive and maint isn't going to be an issue if you keep up with Manufacturer recommendations. Decide your bucket and pick.

:innocent:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I too, like Hysteria, waffled about which one to get, knowing both the turbo and hybrid were due out in a month. My commute is 26 miles one way, with one mile to get on the highway and one mile off the highway to get to the office. If I am lucky, we reach 65-70 mph for a few miles in rush hour...then, it's a slow pace (avg 35). I didn't see the benefit with the added costs to justify either one. I had 2001 Accord V6 (200hp) and it was plenty for what i asked it to do. I've had my limited for 5 weeks now, and have never even wished I had waited. Yeah, it would be fun...for the few times it would ever be played with...but, also didn't need my soon to be 16 yr old daughter 'playing' with it either :w00t: !!!

billw

P.S. - whose not to say I will more than likely go test race...errr...test drive one!

·
Banned
74 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Oct 14 2010, 12:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363471
Trust me, you WONT get the EPA gas mileage. If you have ever owned a boosted motor you cant keep your foot out of it unless you are dead. If you want fun to drive factor, get a turbo. If you want MPG get a NA. You wont get both. Trust me.

Turbo is going to be fun to drive and maint isn't going to be an issue if you keep up with Manufacturer recommendations. Decide your bucket and pick.

:innocent:
THE THING IS THE 2009 V6 WITHOUT! a turbo BEATS THE NEW 2011 SONATA! THAT CLAIMS TO HAVE 275 HP. To bad those HP are to late!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Now that the initial track tests are coming out on the 2.0t, I am perfectly content with my 2.4 GLS. Had the 2.0t turned out to be some kind of performance monster, then perhaps there would be some interest. However, I can live with my car being only 1.2 seconds slower to to 60mph than the turbo :grin:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts