Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I'd like to do the full paint protection film for my car, sometimes referred to as "invisible bra"; it's just more than I can afford right now. So I was considering buying some of the bulk film on ebay and doing it myself. Not the whole car mind you, just the rear bumper. They come in various sizes but I would think either a 6 inch or 12 inch by 72 inch roll would be enough. I'm mainly concerned about the little scratches that occur when people do the "bumper car parking maneuver". You know what I'm talking about. Those people who continuously hit your car as they go back and forth while parking? Well at least the front bumper has the license plate protruding to give it something to hit before the bumper, but there's nothing in the rear. So for $40 odd dollars, I thought I'd buy a roll of the stuff an put it on myself. At least it's cheaper than the deductible on my insurance. Has anyone else tried this?

***ADMIN*** Please correct the title, should read "DIY" Thanks!

·
Banned
630 Posts
think of clear bra film as really THICK window tint going on the body of the car. That said, if you can't apply window tint, this won't be easy AT ALL!

I tried to do my 07 Subaru Legacy's hood but the sharp contours kept leaving me bubbles I couldn't remove. After 2 hours of utter frustration and the bra drying on me too fast, I yanked it off, rolled it up and tossed it. The sonata's hood is even more contoured.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Here are a few interesting how to install videos, I am not pushing product just listing the install information...

I thought about doing this also, this product is great for bugs and minor rock chips, But I do not think that it will do what you are expecting on the rear bumper. All the rub and lic plate screw ding/cuts that I have seen on rear bumpers would not have been protected by any clear bra type material that I have seen installed. You may be able to get a really thick product ( like that is used for headlamps) and run a foot wide piece across the back bumper at the right level.
********************************************************************************

Look haft way down page for install tip links

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hyundai-Son...sQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't intend to apply it to my hood, just the large flat surface of the rear bumper. It's actually not as hard as it would seem. The key is to insure the surface is *thoroughly clean* before you apply it. Then make sure you keep it *real* wet when applying to get the film into position. Once you've got it *where* you want, you just need to let it dry. I've used the material before and no matter what you do, bubbles and water *will* be trapped beneath the film resulting in cloudy patches, etc. This isn't a problem because they will disappear on their own as it drys, which takes 24 to 72 hours. Any remaining bubbles can usually be taken care of by pricking it with a pin and squeegeeing out the remaining air.

The material comes in various thickness. The stuff I'm referring to is 8mil which is actually referred to as, "Paint protectant", and while it wont do any good against someone who hits you hard enough to dent the surface, it *will* prevent the majority of minor nicks and scratches.

I was just curious if anyone else had already tried it and if so, what size they used and if they had any tips, comments, etc.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I had the 3m kit installed professionally, one thing I don't like is the bugs are really hard to get off this clear bra stuff.

·
Registered
594 Posts
One of my concerns is the underside of the rocker panels. On my previous cars that part was either some kind of plastic or covered with stone guard and then sprayed. On the sonata it just look like it is sprayed and that will certainly be the place where rust will start to form if chipped by stones, especially when one lives in an area where salt on the road is part of a cars life.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ Aug 8 2010, 12:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347982
One of my concerns is the underside of the rocker panels. On my previous cars that part was either some kind of plastic or covered with stone guard and then sprayed. On the sonata it just look like it is sprayed and that will certainly be the place where rust will start to form if chipped by stones, especially when one lives in an area where salt on the road is part of a cars life.
I thought that was plastic? From the bottom of the front fender, along the bottom to the front of the rear wheel. Gotta go look at that again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got my bumpers and lights done at a certifed 3M shop. Living in NYC makes it really uncomfortable for parking your car without some kinda protection. I refuse to ever consider those rubber bumper badgers which don't protect the front anyway.

I can tell its a pain to install yourself. Especially since the Sonata has so many curves and ridges. There are lots of videos on the 3m sites for tips on installation. I'd definitely check those out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts