Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone one here got a used oil analysis (UOA) done by blackstone labs?

If so, could you please let me know what oil/filter combo has worked best for you? I have been getting my oil changes done by Firestone Complete Auto Care because they carry Kendall oil. Up on BITOG.com, they rave about the durability of this oil. I am planning on getting my oil analyzed here when I am due, but wanted to see if anyone else has had good luck with another product..

thanks!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've used Pennzoil Platinum in my cars for several years and have stuck with it. I find it to be a good oil and one of the popular faves on BITOG and other auto sites. Very good UOAs. With the Accent, I'll continue to use PP with an OEM Hyundai filter. With warranty considerations, I think it's a good idea to use the Hyundai filters because 1) they're good and not particularly expensive and 2) a lot of the engine repairs/failures on cars can be traced to the use of a cheap filter...the kind that are typically used by chain oil shops. The OEM filter is cheap insurance should there be problems that you have to go back to Hyundai on. I think that a decent oil filter is as or more important than what oil is being used.

With GDI engines, I also think that it makes sense to use synthetic oil in that I'm not really clear if the carbon build-up issue that several makes/engines have had with direct injection won't happen to the Accent. Keeping the engine cleaner ( which synthetic usually does better ) likely goes a long way in helping to prevent at least some of any potential problems.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've been meaning to do one but haven't had the extra money to pay for the testing.

Rest assured, the firestone filter they are using is a very good filter.

If it helps, here's a list of oils I had in this car:

-Mobil Super 5k
-Kendall conventional
-Kendall GT-1 Synthetic
-Quaker State Advance Durability
-Quaker State Ultimate Durability (synthetic)
-Pennzoil (yellow bottle)
-Castrol Edge (gold bottle)

List of oil filters I had with this car:

-Hyundai OEM
-Puralator PureOne
-K&N
-Driveworks

The car ran fine with any one of these filters. It is currently running on the driveworks filter that came with the oil/filter combo

No major problems with any of the oil/filter combinations, although the Kendall conventional seemed to make the car louder towards the tail-end of the 3k oil change interval.

Castrol Edge was the best one as I could have gone another 3,000 miles, but for warranty I still changed it at 3,750 miles, which is why I'm no longer using that brand as it is a waste of money. For now I'm just using Quaker State AD (green bottle) and I'm on my first driveworks filter.

I plan on sticking with QS AD or UD from now on until after the 100k mile warranty expires and then switch to full synthetic castrol and change it every 5-7k miles all with OEM filters.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've been meaning to do one but haven't had the extra money to pay for the testing.

My understanding is that DriveWorks filters are the house brand for Advance Auto Parts. They're Chinese-made and by all appearances look to be a good filter. My problem is that these types of filters don't have much in the way of information that you can research whereas I know what a Wix, Purolator, Hastings, etc. filter is...I change my oil myself 90% of the time but decided once to have my Mazda changed at a local shop using my oil. They installed a "Service Champ" filter on it which I was told was made by Wix. Well, it wasn't made by Wix and had a very cheap cardboard media inside. But, I'll be damned as to who makes it and any efficiency specs, QC, etc. Personally, I don't like to have the equivalent of the cheapest Fram filter put on the car as much as I don't like not being able to know what it is.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

My understanding is that DriveWorks filters are the house brand for Advance Auto Parts. They're Chinese-made and by all appearances look to be a good filter. My problem is that these types of filters don't have much in the way of information that you can research whereas I know what a Wix, Purolator, Hastings, etc. filter is...I change my oil myself 90% of the time but decided once to have my Mazda changed at a local shop using my oil. They installed a "Service Champ" filter on it which I was told was made by Wix. Well, it wasn't made by Wix and had a very cheap cardboard media inside. But, I'll be damned as to who makes it and any efficiency specs, QC, etc. Personally, I don't like to have the equivalent of the cheapest Fram filter put on the car as much as I don't like not being able to know what it is.
I think that both the Firestone and the Service Champ are made by Champion Labs. The thing is I think that the new FS filters are non ecore design and have metal support now vs nylon....I havent had any issue with knocking or dirty oil while using FS filters. I believe them to be great quality from how the car has been performing.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had good luck with 5-20W Valvoline and a Hyundai filter. I change at 3K mile intervals, although the analysis suggest I could increase that interval.
That oil report looks great! Is this with synthetic or regular white bottled Valvoline?

·
Registered
907 Posts
At first glance the Driveworks filter looks like a cheaper version of the puralator classics Advance Auto Parts carries. The model filter for our car comes with a plastic wrap on top, like you find with OEM filters. Prior to installing, I pressed down on the spring valve on the bottom and it had some adequate resistance similar to that of the OEM Hyundai filter. The filter seemed to have fewer number of pleats compared to the OEM, but were similar to the K&N and PureOne filter equivalent model.

I have another driveworks filter I plan on using after this one but just in case I have an issue, I still have an OEM Hyundai filter. I just don't want to waste these filters.

YOu can find a number of opened drivework filters both before and after oil changes, which show they are of decent quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts