Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a kind of disappointed that the "premium" audio system upgrade only included that gimmicky little 8" sub and not any kind of decent speakers. Has anyone done any kind of audio system upgrade and have any recommendations on speakers that work well? I thought I could I live with the stock equipment for a while, but I need a something more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more. I looked in to changing mine but it looked to be too pricey with no assurance of how much it would improve. I think the stock amplifier isn't very good and the sound is not as premium as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm not even going to attempt to salvage the sub. I'm just hoping a pair of components up front and some decent full range in the back will suffice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure, that's why I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations/experience. It would be nice to find a tweeter that fit in the stock housing. I would also like a set with some decent bass since I was going to try to avoid changing out the sub.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hi, Audiovox, Jensen, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, & Polk, are reasonably priced decent speakers for low power systems, delivering a good bass punch for the money, I personally don't like Clarion, I think they have a weak bass response, IMO

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I would love to add a 5 channel amp and replace all the factory speakers. I will not change the factory radio so I would like to know what will be available to add this to the factory premium radio w/ navigation.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I was looking into upgrading my speakers along with a 4 channel amp for the door speakers and a 2 channel amp for the sub. I have been looking around at crutchfield.com and their techs state that we have an 8" factory sub woofer. They do not have a replacement woofer to fit the factory size. I really don't want to add a box or a Base tube. I much rather use the mounting from the factory sub. Anyone replaced their sub yet? I was wondering if there was a woofer that would fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All

I have a IX35 Highlander, I have had fitted an alpine monoblock powering a 12 inch alpine R series sub, and the factory amp powering a set of alpine r series 6.5 inch splits in front and 6.5 in ch in rear. Dynamat extreme fitted throughout car and sounds awesome. More to come as development improves. Gold Coast car sound fitted all of this, highly recommend this very professional team.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (nelg @ Sep 9 2010, 05:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355187
Hi All

I have a IX35 Highlander, I have had fitted an alpine monoblock powering a 12 inch alpine R series sub, and the factory amp powering a set of alpine r series 6.5 inch splits in front and 6.5 in ch in rear. Dynamat extreme fitted throughout car and sounds awesome. More to come as development improves. Gold Coast car sound fitted all of this, highly recommend this very professional team.
Where did they mount the Sub? Were you able to use the factory Sub slot?

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Jul 23 2010, 06:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344272
I was looking into upgrading my speakers along with a 4 channel amp for the door speakers and a 2 channel amp for the sub. I have been looking around at crutchfield.com and their techs state that we have an 8" factory sub woofer. They do not have a replacement woofer to fit the factory size. I really don't want to add a box or a Base tube. I much rather use the mounting from the factory sub. Anyone replaced their sub yet? I was wondering if there was a woofer that would fit.
IMO, If you have the same design factory radio as mine, but in a premium version the Bass is all there but it is weak, airy, & transparent. It's not a Clean, Tight, Bass by circuitry design like Kenwood, or Alpine, adding additional power to it, would just make it louder, not really better, that's why I would not take a chance on a opting for a premium factory radio. The funny part is, I love Kenwood recievers, & amps, but don't care for their speakers, IMO, they don't seem to deliver the great sound coming from their amps? I find it hard to believe you can't find a good 8" woofer to fit? A good 8", or if you can fit in a good 10" it should be more then adequate. I was amazed by the sound of Polk Audio, or Pyle Driver woofers, they are a bit pricey, but still reasonable, let your ears be your guide. A too boomy Bass response is on the verge of distortion, or is distortion, it is just vibration without order, and a lot of young people out there have cars with distortion powered to the max, just to be louder then the next guy, it's not true Bass reproduction. Have you checked Best Buy car audio?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (MikDee @ Sep 9 2010, 11:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355236
IMO, If you have the same design factory radio as mine, but in a premium version the Bass is all there but it is weak, airy, & transparent. It's not a Clean, Tight, Bass by circuitry design like Kenwood, or Alpine, adding additional power to it, would just make it louder, not really better, that's why I would not take a chance on a opting for a premium factory radio. The funny part is, I love Kenwood recievers, & amps, but don't care for their speakers, IMO, they don't seem to deliver the great sound coming from their amps? I find it hard to believe you can't find a good 8" woofer to fit? A good 8", or if you can fit in a good 10" it should be more then adequate. I was amazed by the sound of Polk Audio, or Pyle Driver woofers, they are a bit pricey, but still reasonable, let your ears be your guide. A too boomy Bass response is on the verge of distortion, or is distortion, it is just vibration without order, and a lot of young people out there have cars with distortion powered to the max, just to be louder then the next guy, it's not true Bass reproduction. Have you checked Best Buy car audio?
I agree with you completely, factory radios do not have a wide sound spectrum, or at least not as wide as an aftermarket Kenwood or Alpine unit. This is mainly designed to protect the factory speakers. But they do make Sound Processors you can add to an OEM radio and an aftermarket amp. This will take the crappy sound from an OEM radio and rebuilds the sound to a much higher quality. It will give you a much wider range in sound higher highs and lower lows, they also clean the sound level. I have check a few car audio shops and everyone just want to sell you what fits in the size. This is not always the right way of doing things. Especialy with woofers, most or maybe all woofer require a certain amount of air volume to sound correctly. I just don't want to shove in a 8" or 10" woofer and hope for the best. I would need to find a free air woofer that will fit in diameter and dept.

·
Registered
838 Posts
IMO, Better amps, & speakers don't help with a poor quality radio. My 2002 Santa Fe LX had a crummy radio, a lot like the one in my new Tucson, washed out, airy sounding (especially in the Bass). AM reception is very poor? But, the 6 disc changer, & premium radio in my 2005 Tucson LX was quite good whatever brand it was? I never changed the settings on it, but on the new Tuc I have the Bass set to 10 (the highest) at all times just to get some decent sound out of it.

Of course aftermarket better stereo brands usually have an extended high, & low range, compared to the cheaper brands. You will pick up more highs, & lows, that weren't there before, even when using the same speakers. I found this out yrs ago when shopping for a home stereo, but they all handle Bass differently, some have a lazy, boomy, bass, some have a sharp, tight, bass. Usually those with the lazy, boomy, bass will distort the voice as well, so it doesn't sound normal. This is most noticable when listening to songs that you know, not sounding right? Or listening to a talk radio broadcast.

Bargain Stereo's:
Panasonic, or (Technics) is one of the brightest clearest designs, but may get on your nerves after awhile, Pioneer, & Kenwood, both deliver more highs, & lows, with better separation, and more pronounced bass, both easier on the ears, but the Pioneer has a lazy bass, and the Kenwood has a tighter bass, of these two the Kenwood sounds more natural at all times.

Another factor is the box, is if it's a "Bass reflex" type box "ported" it's (easier to drive), or a tightly sealed box "acoustic suspension" (harder to drive) maybe even with baffles in it, I think it's called an isomeric design? Woofers usually are either bass reflex, or acoustic suspension, Subwoofers are either acoustic suspension, or isometric design delivering the deepest of Bass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (nelg @ Sep 9 2010, 07:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355187
Hi All

Hey Nelg,

Which Gold Coast Car sound outlet did you use. I'm not far from gold coast and want someone good to upgrade my ix35.

Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a tucson with out the premium audio. I installed alpine components in the front with infinity coaxial in the rear. Dynamate speaker kit for all of them. The sound really didn't improve that much, probably because their still running off the factory head unit. I don't like the sound seperation it the tucson, if i don't fade it to the right and rear, i get all the sound on the drivers side. I there a way to fix this? sound prosesor mayby, Or will an after market head unit help?
I also bought the rear 8" tucson sub encloser to put in but the guy who selll car audio is advising against it, says it will sound really sh^T and won't get any bass from it. For those who have it in thier tucson can you tell me is it worth it to put it in or should i return it and get something else? Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (S.A.M6 @ Sep 19 2010, 09:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357198
I have a tucson with out the premium audio. I installed alpine components in the front with infinity coaxial in the rear. Dynamate speaker kit for all of them. The sound really didn't improve that much, probably because their still running off the factory head unit. I don't like the sound seperation it the tucson, if i don't fade it to the right and rear, i get all the sound on the drivers side. I there a way to fix this? sound prosesor mayby, Or will an after market head unit help?
I also bought the rear 8" tucson sub encloser to put in but the guy who selll car audio is advising against it, says it will sound really sh^T and won't get any bass from it. For those who have it in thier tucson can you tell me is it worth it to put it in or should i return it and get something else? Thanks
I definitely recommend a sound processor and a 4 channel amp. I would also recommend that you use a self amplified bazooka type tube instead of the crappy 8". Crutchfield sells a 6 channel sound processor, that would give you 4 channels for the door speakers and another channel for the bass tube. I have been wanting to change the speakers and add an amp, but I haven't had the extra cash.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's disheartening to hear that a speaker upgrade alone didn't help much, looks like its going to be a significant investment on my part. *sigh*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts