Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone considered the Acura RDX before deciding on the SFS? If so, what did you think of it?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just curious if anyone considered the Acura RDX before deciding on the SFS? If so, what did you think of it?
Good thing you're asking that questions here instead of on the Acura forum. You would be ran out of town. I did and decided to get more for my money here. Warranty was another factor.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I test drove both, the RDX is fast, 0-60 in 6.5, but the interior is not as fancy or as nice looking as the SFS, the NAV of the RDX is crap, not touch screen, no HD radio. RDX is 40 grand, but considering the SFS looks 10 times better inside and out, is 5 grand cheaper and has a 10y/100,000 miles warranty I would go SFS.
I'm seriously considering the 2014 Mazda CX5, touring with tech, cheaper, smaller, faster, better mpg, better transmission, better tech, check it out.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I test drove the RDX - I'd say it has a definite edge under the hood - the engine is smooth powerful and fuel efficient. Agree with Joe on the Hyundai having nicer interior and both CUVs are quiet and nice riding. The base Acura lists for $ 35 so it does cost more, probably have better resale value than the SFS judging by past history.
I bought the SFS 2.0T because comparably equipped it was $ 5 ~$6k less than the Acura - but my shopping was done pre EPA mpg revision and at that time the mpg ratings were similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We drove the RDX, and it was our top prospect until we drove the SFS 2.0T. We did not like the big metal hooks (used to attach the rear seat) that stick out into the luggage compartment on the RDX. Also the interior seemed cheap compared to the Hyundai. Lastly, the brakes on the last RDX demonstrator we drove were awful - they made grinding noises both when you put your foot on the brake, and when you removed it. The sales person said that it was condensation because it had been raining - perhaps, but I have never encountered other brakes like that and it was a turn off.

Bottom line we did not have the confidence in the RDX (it seemed like a tarted up CR-V) that we had in the SFS 2.0T.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
RDX radio was horrible. The RDX did not have half the features the SFS has and is way more expensive.
Looks like Acura was listening to the radio comments - maybe this is new for 2014 ? I turn the radio off on test drives so I can hear other sounds in the cabin.

From KBB 2014 review:

Favorite Features
ACURA/ELS SURROUND SOUND
While it's comprised of a comparatively low speaker count, the available Acura/ELS sound system is one of the best factory-installed sound systems money can buy. Speaking of which, the Acura/ELS setup is also remarkably affordable for a system of this caliber.

·
Registered
94 Posts
They are very similar in performance 2.0t and the v6. I believe it's like 0.3 of a second difference 0-60. While the SFS interior is more modern looking and you get all the bells and whistles for much less $$. The acura is overpriced but will resell higher than the SFS. I purchased the SFS 2.0t and I am planing to drive it into the ground... Also insurance is much cheaper on a SFS vs the RDX

·
Registered
19 Posts
we were planning on the RDX most of the year as we built up a down payment, but went with the RDX due to cost and features. I don't mind paying a little bit more for something that is considered luxury to help resale value, but then again we plan on keeping this for 6-10 years. Both cars drove well, but I give a very slight edge to the RDX there. I knew if we bought the RDX, I'd be always regretting not having things like a modern nav system, BLIS, different steering modes, the panaramic roof, MORE trunk/storage space, the rear window shades, rear heated seats, front ventilated seats, a longer warranty, flat(er) folding rear seats, etc. Value wise, the RDX isn't close. Quality wise, they are very close.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree that if you want to only own the car for 3-5 years, then you'll get better resale value out of the RDX. But like most people on this forum, we hopefully plan on owning it for the length of the 10-year warranty which is a major reason why we bought this car. No question the RDX has a better engine and is higher performance, but you have to ask yourself whether you care...the SFS 2.0T has more than enough power for me at a much cheaper price, regular fuel, more cargo capacity, better features, better interior, and much better looking exterior in my opinion. SFS wins out.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I agree that if you want to only own the car for 3-5 years, then you'll get better resale value out of the RDX. But like most people on this forum, we hopefully plan on owning it for the length of the 10-year warranty which is a major reason why we bought this car. No question the RDX has a better engine and is higher performance, but you have to ask yourself whether you care...the SFS 2.0T has more than enough power for me at a much cheaper price, regular fuel, more cargo capacity, better features, better interior, and much better looking exterior in my opinion. SFS wins out.
I cared a little bit - but not enough to plunk down an additional $6k for the RDX.
Agree with your assessment - realistic and acknowledges the one area the RDX has an edge - it does have a nice power plant. As mentioned in another post - performance ranks 7th or 8th in consumers buyer's priorities.

Here in CO I'm surprised at how many Acura MDX's I see - those things are major $$$ . But they do hold their value pretty well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I completely forgot about the rdx needs premium fuel. That was also a big factor in buying the SFS. The price of regular gas is high enough I don't want to pay for premium to get an extra 0.3 seconds to 60.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me, the Premium fuel requirement would kill the deal as well in addition to features that I didn't see in the RDX that you can get with the SFS:

Blindspot detection
Parking Sensors
Ventilated front seats
Rear heated seats
40/20/40 Split rear seating
Rear sunshades
Heated Steering wheel
Panoramic sunroof
Heated side mirrors

All that while being cheaper too! I never thought I'd admit that a Hyundai seems more premium than a Japanese luxury brand, but it sure looks that way. That and I can't get over Acura's beak/shield grill thing on all their models. Everything's subjective, but the beak looks terrible to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts