Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd be interested in hearing thoughts about the Ford Escape vs. the SFS from folks that know. I can read all the reviews, but I prefer y'all's version better.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Is this also known as Ford Kuga in Europe?

If so then inbetween Santa Fe and iX35/Tucson on size so not usually on the same shortlists.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing thoughts about the Ford Escape vs. the SFS from folks that know. I can read all the reviews, but I prefer y'all's version better.
My mother has a 2013 Escape... I believe it's the XLT with the smaller of the two EcoBoost engines.

It's a nice vehicle. I've had the opportunity to drive it a few times for short errands. The smaller engine is plenty capable. Fuel economy shocked me though. The trip computer was reporting 21-23 mpg average. This was after 1,000 miles of highway driving. (by comparison, I get 23-24 mpg with my driving style in my SFS 2.0T)

It's hard to compare to the SFS, as I only drove it short distances a few times several months ago. I don't know about size, but it felt much smaller inside. Comfortable to drive. Interior was nice... personally, I think the SFS is laid out better.

I will say that my mother has had a heck of a time with the MyFord Touch system. It's never quite worked for her. She's had to master reset at least 3-4 times per month. Ford doesn't seem concerned. They just tell her to master reset, and it'll work for another week. Meanwhile, she loses all of her settings, etc.

Prior to buying my SFS, I test drove an Edge. Size wise, I tend to think the Edge is about the same feel as the SFS. I don't know actual measurements, though. (The Escape just felt a bit too small for what I wanted)

I have to say, I was not really impressed with the Edge. The interior felt like something from the 90s... or, I could spend more money and upgrade to the problematic MyFord Touch system.

I really wanted to like the Edge. I find it a very attractive car. It just did not have the same wow or value as the SFS when I looked at them side by side.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I compared the 2013 Escape to the 2013 SFS when I purchased my 2013 SFS. I liked the Escape a lot. IMO, the Escape had more/better features. Exterior and interior appearance were equal, as far as I was concerned. But the roominess and more comfortable seats in the SFS won me over. I found the Escape driver's seat bottom was short, and side to side leg room was narrow. I didn't drive the Escape, but I read it handles very well.

I didn't like the looks of the Edge, and hated the HUGE center console.

Hope this helps.
John

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Ford Escape? I test drove one about a year ago. They have about *zero* front passenger leg room - and the front passenger side legroom is downright claustrophobic.

This due to the shape of the console as it comes down from the dash and extends between the seats.

The ride? Far better than the Santa Fe..... EXTREMELY quiet, and very soldi feeling. The Turbo engine is fantastic! I think it is more refined than the SF Turbo. Feels unquestionably like a V6 and has plenty of power. Can't speak for the naturally aspirated 4 bangers.

In the end, I asked myself if I could imagine myself taking a 2 hour trip in the Ford Escape, and I immediately thought, "No way." I'd be coming out of my skin in a claustrophobic fit.

The interior layout and dimensions of the Santa Fe Sport clearly triumph over the Ford Escape in my opinion. Driving dynamics impressions - interior spacing aside - go to the Escape.

If you could marry the steering, and engine characteristics and ride quality of the Escape with the styling of the Santa Fe Sport - you'd have the perfect car.

That was my impression, at least.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
If you could marry the steering, and engine characteristics and ride quality of the Escape with the styling of the Santa Fe Sport - you'd have the perfect car.

Agree - especially regards engine if you are comparing turbo to turbo and by ride quality do you mean overall or the handling ? The escape does handle well.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Agree - especially regards engine if you are comparing turbo to turbo and by ride quality do you mean overall or the handling ? The escape does handle well.
Exactly! Turbo to Turbo.... and driving characteristics go to the Escape. Interior and external styling - I give the 'edge' (pun) to the Santa Fe Sport.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I test drove the Escape and also the Edge. The Tucson is in the size class of the Escape. Edge is comparable to the Santa Fe.

I did not like the Escape. The leg room was really bad up front, passenger side was worse. Less space upfront than my HHR has.

Cargo space is no comparison to the Santa Fe. The Santa Fe is just flat out a bigger car. Tucson to Escape, they are about the same.

Motor and Ride, hard to say for me. The Turbo Escape was really nice but again smaller than the Santa Fe to the tune almost 300lbs. The car rode really well but I think the Santa Fe rides really well also. Coming from an HHR, just about anything is gong to seem like it has a really good ride to me. I did not drive a turbo Tucson (do they even make one?) but I found the standard 4 to be more than enough power for a small CUV.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My wife has a 2013 Ford Escape 2.0L Turbo SEL. It's basically fully loaded except for the titanium package (19" wheels, and HID's). Our CUV has Nav, Memory Driver's Seat, Backup Sensors, Auto Park, Pano Roof, Blind Spot Monitoring, Power Hatch, AWD, etc. It's a good vehicle when you consider who builds it, but there's no way it has as much room as the SFS. All the bells and whistles are nice to have but you can almost guarantee they won't last. I leased this CUV knowing first hand about how poorly Ford reliability is (I had a first year, first gen focus with 7 recalls). There will be no way that I will buy it out. It's exactly what it's meant to be a smallish type CUV that is almost the same size as the Tucson but might have slightly more room.

PRO's: 2.0L engine (240hp, 269ft-lb of torque) makes this CUV pretty **** fast. No real turbo lag to speak of. Since it's based on the focus platform it also handles pretty sporty. More fun to drive than any other competition we test drove. AWD system is great.

CON's: Ford service in general, squeaky roof when sun shade or sunroof, Ford Sync system works 75% of the time, Intermittent Errors that turn on and shut off. Gas consumption stinks. I think it's a 55L tank so you run out of gas by the time you hit 400kms, no matter how, or where you drive.

Just for the record, I would have gotten a SFS but it didn't come out in time before I had to give her old lease back. I have yet to drive a SFS.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I test drove the Escape when shopping for a new car last fall. The design is nice, and I'm still a bit jealous of the automatic liftgate.

However, there were a few issues that I had. As many noted, it feels much smaller than the SFS, and being in the 6'1" range, I did not feel comfortable. The dash layout seemed awkward to me, especially the radio up top that almost seemed to face the ceiling more than the driver. Finally, I have to disagree about the ride quality. I found the suspension to be quite sluggish through the corners, and the car dipped heavily through turns.

And this is why I'm on this forum now, as a happy SFS owner.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Friend has an Escape, then he saw/drove my SFS...pure jealousy. Edge feels sort of like a tin can on wheels. SFS has been rock solid for us. Comfort level is much better, quieter, smoother, and the 2.0t takes it over the top and design (interior and exterior) take it over the top.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think this kind of size confusion partially comes from the fact that SFS does not exactly fit into the compact CUV or the midsize CUV in a conventional sense.

When you compare dimensions, SFS is "slightly" bigger than Escape (which makes SFS much roomier); yet, SFS is "slightly" smaller than Edge. SFS hits a sweet spot for me, because Escape is little too small while Edge starts to feel bulky.

·
Registered
884 Posts
To the OP:

There are 26 posts so far....9 of them go a long way to answer your question...

My advice is to take the wife with you, and take a long test drive in the Escape (without the salesperson) using the roads you are most likely to drive on a regular basis...Take time to play with the dash features, and notice the layout of them...

Then immediately, while the experience is fresh in your mind, do the same with the SFS...

For me, it was absolutely a 'no brainer'...

P.S...My dealer let me take a SFS home over a 3 day week-end...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I think this kind of size confusion partially comes from the fact that SFS does not exactly fit into the compact CUV or the midsize CUV in a conventional sense.

When you compare dimensions, SFS is "slightly" bigger than Escape (which makes SFS much roomier); yet, SFS is "slightly" smaller than Edge. SFS hits a sweet spot for me, because Escape is little too small while Edge starts to feel bulky.
It's clever positioning by Hyundai, IMO - in some parts of the world, the Santa Fe Sport is seen as a full-size SUV and the Veracruz / Santa Fe LWB isn't sold.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drove an Escape and an Edge. The Escape was about the same price or 1-2k higher and too small while the Edge was the same size but seemed about a decade behind interior and 5 years behind exterior plus terrible reliability ratings. In the end I told the Hyundai dealer my number of what I could get an edge for (they were 20% off MSRP) and said if they could meet it with my trade I will take it. If you have the need for more room I would look at the 7 seater when it comes. We like the SFS pretty good and are happy with it over the other options.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you have the need for more room I would look at the 7 seater when it comes.
I made some observations on 3rd row seating in another thread (Santa Fe as a baby carrier thread) so I 'm not going to repeat everything but in general it's not that much more room. I would only recommend them if you need the extra seats as it's actually less useable space in my opinion.

The long wheel base version only has 8.5 more cubic feet of cargo volume. Which isn't much. Since we don't pack people in like luggage I look more at length and that is the most telling. The car is only 9 inches longer (184.6" for the sport and 191.1" for the LWB). What that means is they added the third row but only made the car 9" longer, which is to say they slid the 2nd row forward some and then put the 3rd row in the cargo area. This causes there to be very little room in the back when the seats are up. Plus the interior panels are wider (arm rests) so there is less useable width in the LWB version

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Depends on the size of people.

Europe gets a 3-row version in the Santa Fe Sport bodyshell, the 3-row seats simply folding into the underfloor storage area of the 5-seater. The Veracruz / Santa Fe LWB is too big for many markets !

·
Registered
181 Posts
LWB version is the US is the same thing, the third row do fold down into the under floor. You gain 9" in length but loose about 6" in width.

The 3rd row Europe version must be cozy in the back.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Probably not as cosy as the 3rd row in a Toyota Rav 4!
I didn't realise there was a 3-row version of the RAV4 - it's not on sale in UK despite the popularity of 3-row Santa Fe (Sport) and Sorrento here.

I'm 6' tall, the wrong side of ideal weight and have two knee replacements which restrict my mobility - but I can get in and out of the 3-row in the CM Santa Fe without much difficulty, although I wouldn't want to go long distances.

The 3-row DM Santa Fe (Sport) is harder to get into the 3rd row as the 2nd row only slides forward, it doesn't roll forward like the CM.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts