Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are musicians and we are thinking about a small trailer to pull our music gear back and forth to local gigs and such. Anybody hitch up your GT yet?
-Frank

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a hitch but never towed. I have a bike rack that I attach. I would however buy one of those hitch trays that can be found in this link. I think my hitch is rated for only 200lbs of tongue weight.

Trailer Hitch Cargo Carrier | AutoZone.com
The hitch rating is not the problem! I guarantee you get a 180 to 190 pound person to stand on the back of your lift gate base and you will not be happy with how far down the suspension drops. When you add a 1500 pound plus trailer to the hitch, then try to drive safely with that load and you will quickly decide otherwise.

I tried it once with a much smaller load on an equivalent car and realized there are reasons not to do crazy things like that. I know that a very small utility trailer ( less than 300 lbs gross weight) would probably be fine, but some folks mistakenly think the hitch rating is the magic standard, not the vehicle design criteria.

Walt

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, I towed trailer with motorcycle up to 250kg of load + trailer with no issues whatever.
It can probably do more but I had no need.

I took it to 130kmh speeds and you can barely notice the trailer.

You should be fine.

I used harbor freight folding trailer. You can see more info in other posts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think you are confusing tongue weight with total weight.
I can load trailer with my dirt bike and pick up the tongue and hook it up to the car hitch with one hand.

Trailer should carry all the weight with 60% forward bias.
It is not like you are loading trailer and load in the trunk.

Sorry if I misread your post...

What I have on my car is Class 1 hitch and that is reated up to 2000 pounds, however tongue weight is just 200 pounds MAX.

for example...
Trailer Hitch Classes Review | etrailer.com
Class I Trailer Hitch Receivers:

• Towing capacities up to 2,000 lbs GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) and 200 lbs TW (Tongue Weight)
  • 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" receiver hitch opening.
  • Works with only class I accessories, such as bike racks, cargo carriers, ball mounts and tube covers
    • 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" class II accessories will not work with class I hitches
  • Requires a drawbar or ball mount to tow a trailer, may be included or sold seperately
    • Uses a 1/2" pin to secure ball mount into place
    • Manufacturer-recommended drawbar or ball mount should be used for each specific hitch
  • Will work with hitch balls with 3/4" diameter shank
  • Available in square and round tube designs

The hitch rating is not the problem! I guarantee you get a 180 to 190 pound person to stand on the back of your lift gate base and you will not be happy with how far down the suspension drops. When you add a 1500 pound plus trailer to the hitch, then try to drive safely with that load and you will quickly decide otherwise.

I tried it once with a much smaller load on an equivalent car and realized there are reasons not to do crazy things like that. I know that a very small utility trailer ( less than 300 lbs gross weight) would probably be fine, but some folks mistakenly think the hitch rating is the magic standard, not the vehicle design criteria.

Walt

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you limit loads to those that allow one to lift the tongue and place on the ball then there should be no problem. Tongue weights of less than 100 lbs would not present an undue load factor. The problem is when someone looks at the specs, i.e., 200 lb tongue weight max, and thinks that is the determining factor in how well the GT will haul that load is not a safe thing to do.
I recently considered getting a small travel trailer to haul behind our Sonata. As soon as the dealer (Travel trailer) saw my car he immediately said. "No Way!!"
The gross weight was 1900 lbs and typically the tongue weight is estimated at 10%, so 190 lbs. In this instance it was actually specified at 185 pounds, which does not factor in the "stuff" that folks put in the RV that adds weight. So, either way, it would have put me up against the limit of the hitch. However, from experience the dealer said they will not sell to anyone with a mid size vehicle or smaller as the intended towing vehicle.
As I mentioned, years ago I tried towing a 14' travel trailer with a mid size station wagon. Not a pleasant experience at all!!

Walt

·
Registered
890 Posts
My wife and I are musicians and we are thinking about a small trailer to pull our music gear back and forth to local gigs and such. Anybody hitch up your GT yet?
-Frank
I have towed with a utility trailer I have. Just local runs to the dump and a furniture store.
I have read that the European I30s like our GTs are rated for 1300 lbs gross weight. The older Elantras had a more robust transmission and an actual tow rating, where our GTs have no tow rating.

Myself, with 500 lbs in my light trailer, (probably 750 lbs gross weight) it pulls fine around town, but definitely feel it going uphill.
I will not tow over 1000 lbs total gross trailer weight.

And if you have an extended warranty, read what it says about installing a hitch.... found out that the hitch I installed voids the warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts