Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe SE (Earthy Bronze) with factory trailer hitch.
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a base model SF in Earthy Bronze. I didn't like the chrome handles the upper trims have and I'm a cheap *******. I also think the cheesy brushed aluminum looking plastic is an eyesore. So my plan is to get some 3M chrome delete tape and sheets to cover these bits. Has anybody else done this? I would love to see some pics if so. I plan on deleting the chrome window trim as well as the wheels. the wheels will probably be powder coated, but that is still in the air. I have a few friends that work at body shops that are willing to help out ion the wheels, but the rest is all on me. I have experience applying vinyl so I hope that skill carries over to this project. Also I need opinions on Colors. I don't want it to look bland and all flat black. I was thinking about mixing in some carbon fiber and a mix of gloss and satin blacks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Jamie Vail I blacked out my stock wheels and emblems by dipping them which worked pretty well. Agree that next I would like to chrome delete at least the window trim.

View attachment 448266
WOW! That looks real nice. Is yours a base SE model? Mine is, that's why I would like to make some minor, subtle changes.
Is that a chrome grill? Mine is Gloss black with a chrome "H", which I was going to leave chrome.

·
Registered
2019 Ultimate 2.0t AWD
166 Posts
Thank you for contributing! I am slowly getting close to attempt something like this. Did you use the Hyper Dip Black, that is specifically for wheels, or just a plain Matte Black dip? Also, did you take out each wheel or just sprayed on the SUV? I noticed that your lugs and center cap is also black. Was contemplating if I should take each wheel off and leave the center cap to expose the Hyundai Logo. Nice job!!!

@Jamie Vail I blacked out my stock wheels and emblems by dipping them which worked pretty well. Agree that next I would like to chrome delete at least the window trim.

View attachment 448266

·
Registered
2019 Ultimate 2.0t AWD
166 Posts
I bought a base model SF in Earthy Bronze. I didn't like the chrome handles the upper trims have and I'm a cheap ***. I also think the cheesy brushed aluminum looking plastic is an eyesore. So my plan is to get some 3M chrome delete tape and sheets to cover these bits. Has anybody else done this? I would love to see some pics if so. I plan on deleting the chrome window trim as well as the wheels. the wheels will probably be powder coated, but that is still in the air. I have a few friends that work at body shops that are willing to help out ion the wheels, but the rest is all on me. I have experience applying vinyl so I hope that skill carries over to this project. Also I need opinions on Colors. I don't want it to look bland and all flat black. I was thinking about mixing in some carbon fiber and a mix of gloss and satin blacks.
This is the first I have heard of 3m Chrome delete tape and had to Google it. I was thinking of using plastidip instead, or a black chrome paint on the emblems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on using a combination of different black ( flat, gloss, satin, semigloss) and grays/carbon fibers

·
Registered
46 Posts
WOW! That looks real nice. Is yours a base SE model? Mine is, that's why I would like to make some minor, subtle changes.
Is that a chrome grill? Mine is Gloss black with a chrome "H", which I was going to leave chrome.
It's the black grille (I have the Limited) and I dipped the chrome "H" emblem to make it blend in, which is really nice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you for contributing! I am slowly getting close to attempt something like this. Did you use the Hyper Dip Black, that is specifically for wheels, or just a plain Matte Black dip? Also, did you take out each wheel or just sprayed on the SUV? I noticed that your lugs and center cap is also black. Was contemplating if I should take each wheel off and leave the center cap to expose the Hyundai Logo. Nice job!!!
I did the black sapphire wheel kit from dipyourcar.com. It's just slightly glossier than matte finish, just to make it a little more professional looking. Didn't take the wheels or emblems off, just made sure to tape them. You will need to move the car a bit to make sure you get good coverage from all angles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's the video that's inspiring me to use the 3M tape though the comments suggest it might be a lot easier and less risky if you use the knifeless tape instead of a razor.

·
Registered
2019 Ultimate 2.0t AWD
166 Posts
I did the black sapphire wheel kit from dipyourcar.com. It's just slightly glossier than matte finish, just to make it a little more professional looking. Didn't take the wheels or emblems off, just made sure to tape them. You will need to move the car a bit to make sure you get good coverage from all angles.
Do you mind showing some close ups in the sun? Are you going to black out the chrome side moldings as well? It does look really good!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you mind showing some close ups in the sun? Are you going to black out the chrome side moldings as well? It does look really good!!
Sorry, it's a little dirty. You can see a little part next to the valve where one of the coats didnt dry right. I plan on doing the window trim (and the door handles?) next and wait to see if it's worth going all the way to include the satin grey body-cladding which is much less offensive IMO

IMG_7339.jpg IMG_4074.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@3wisemonkeyz i saw a different video but very similar. I plan on doing a few before&after shots for sure. But I plan on doing the satin gray cladding as well. I have done vinyl graphics before so using the knife doesn't bother me that much.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After eatching that vdo, the knifeless tape looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Essential
176 Posts
How does the dipyourcar finish wear? Will it eventually peel off?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this is my concern as well, with the spray on stuff. How long will it hold up to the debris and road hazards? Probably gonna get the rims powder coated or painted, or replaced with aftermarket wheels and tires. but the trim pieces will be taped, not sprayed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It holds up better than I would have thought, especially in the super cold Minnesota winters. I've had it on roughly a year now and it still looks good. Mind you, some came off when I scraped the curb once but better that than the rim itself. The part I like is I can always peel it straight off back to OEM when I want to sell. Im guessing it will last at least 2-3 years if not more, assuming you dont pressure wash it.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Essential
176 Posts
It holds up better than I would have thought, especially in the super cold Minnesota winters. I've had it on roughly a year now and it still looks good. Mind you, some came off when I scraped the curb once but better that than the rim itself. The part I like is I can always peel it straight off back to OEM when I want to sell. Im guessing it will last at least 2-3 years if not more, assuming you dont pressure wash it.
So it's pretty easy to take off when you want to?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts