Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in Dec. 2016, I had purchased my second Hyundai Tucson Sport SUV - a brand new 2017 model (now at 63,000 mi.), after trading in my first, a 2012 Tucson (at over 130,000 mi). I was proud to tell people how I loved my Hyundai Tucson -– until it recently almost killed me – due to its complete DCT transmission failure.

While driving home from my 70-mile workday round-trip highway commute, I was simply merging and accelerating onto the Expressway. While driving normally in “D”, I simply stepped on the gas pedal to get into the highway lane, and with no dashboard light warnings or any sign of dysfunction of the vehicle, the car accelerated perfectly in first gear, and seemed to automatically get into another gear as I was merging with traffic – and that traffic was a hauling tractor-trailer going well over 65 mph - who almost rear-ended me upon the failure of my transmission. My experience was simply stepping on the gas, feeling the car shudder slightly – and then the transmission completely disengaging with the engine revving to 8000 rpms with no gear engagement after stepping on the gas pedal. The gear shift was useless even when I went to "Shiftronic" manual mode - I had NO MANUAL CONTROL. No gear indicator numeral (like a "1") appeared. Nothing - and no indication on the dashboard.

After that traumatic event, having AAA, I had the car towed to my home, and the next day I had Hyundai tow the car to the dealership and after their initial inspection thought a bad “Gear Shift Actuator” was the cause - and a week later after conversation with the "Head Office" - then determined to replace the entire transmission when they just couldn’t diagnose the exact problem or what caused the complete failure of the transmission.

After complaining to Hyundai Customer Service, you get treated like crap, you get the run around, you even get psychologically coerced into signing a waiver giving up all your legal rights as a consumer of a high-priced purchase. They refuse to acknowledge the safety hazard involved - and first throw a 'goodwill' amount of $1150 - and then when you complain about being terrified about driving their vehicles, the 'supervisor' will reduce the goodwill to $1000.

View attachment 442019

The reason the yellow hi-lite is there is to show an example of their psychological coercion.

Their warranty gives you rental reimbursement regardless, no signature needed, yet, this particular 'Customer Service' rep is distinctly inferring you have to sign away before reimbursement is dispersed. SNEAKY!

Please report to NHTSA and your local State Consumer Advocate/Lemon Law counselors. They should not allow cars like these on the road - and consumers shouldn't be forced to accept possible death as an outcome of a normal day's ride to work!

I have documented proof of all of their shady workings - not to mention there IS a class action suit by Capstone Law Group describing this very issue many owners of DCT transmissions are experiencing - Wylie v. Hyundai Motors America. Does anybody have any update as to the progress of this important suit?

I'd like to get on it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
gone through 1 transmission on my 17' Tucson & 2 transmissions on my 16' Veloster turbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts