Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just by way of example, and example alone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hyundai-Son...=item35a8e338d9

This is an "ultimate" kit. I think if we signed up 10 or 20 of us we could get a substantial discount. Not necessarily from this particular ebay seller, either. There are many vendors out there, and I just wanted to see if there was much interest. With a car that has a 10 year/100k warranty, it would be nice if the paint on the car's leading edges looked brand new after all that time and those miles. Even with a car that is turned over in five years, retained resale value alone would probably pay for one of these kits.

There are lesser kits available, but I think the no-brainer minimum would be leading edge of hood and front bumper. From there you have mirrors, headlights and fog lights, then the leading edge of the roof, a-pillars, etc...

Post here if youd be interested in signing up for some level of kit and I can check around for vendors willing to work with us on a group buy. Ideally Id merely collect the names and the money would go directly to the vendor, and product directly to the individual buyer.

I am definitely going to buy at least a "no brainer" kit, and just wanted to see if others wanted to throw in and save some coin!

-Rob in Terre Haute

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd recommend getting a shop to install this for you as it isn't the easiest thing to apply.

You also want to ensure you're getting the latest in 3M film as the old versions and ripoffs tend to yellow over time.

At the very least you need a clean indoor area and someone to help you. A spray with soap and water mixture is a must and your car needs to be fully washed before you start.

There are a lot of videos, tips and tricks on how to install these things and it definitely takes a good amount of time to get it installed correctly. Areas with lots of curves can be tricky as well.

This is still very well worth doing and will help your car look nice and new. I highly highly recommend it for at least both bumpers if you parallel park a lot.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (ijoe @ Sep 21 2010, 11:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357913
I'd recommend getting a shop to install this for you as it isn't the easiest thing to apply.

You also want to ensure you're getting the latest in 3M film as the old versions and ripoffs tend to yellow over time.

At the very least you need a clean indoor area and someone to help you. A spray with soap and water mixture is a must and your car needs to be fully washed before you start.

There are a lot of videos, tips and tricks on how to install these things and it definitely takes a good amount of time to get it installed correctly. Areas with lots of curves can be tricky as well.

This is still very well worth doing and will help your car look nice and new. I highly highly recommend it for at least both bumpers if you parallel park a lot.

People would have the option of doing a DIY install or paying a shop. This would just be to try to get a decent discount on the kit itself. I will may or may not be doing DIY depending on whether i find a shop that will install an outside-purchased kit. Ive successfully done tint work in the past which is a very similar process. Hose down garage to lower dust levels, thoroughly clean the surface, spray and install. I've never done paint protection film but it seems very similar (if only scaled up) to doing window tint. That being said, I am a lot older and lazier than my tint days so I might just take the kit to a local shop and have them put it on. Like I said, this is just to gauge interest in a group buy before I do some legwork with the various vendors out there..

·
1,914 Posts
I'd be interested. I have been telling people how I want to get the 3M because of my black paint and I normally pick up rock chips on my commute to work. I haven't started shopping around but I know it's about $600 installed. I believe you can find kits cheaper than that but I don't think it includes as much.

Count me in!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
have it, love it....
but bug splatter is really hard to get off of the 3m clear bra.
You think it would be the opposite....

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (hyunnychub @ Sep 22 2010, 07:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357957
have it, love it....
but bug splatter is really hard to get off of the 3m clear bra.
You think it would be the opposite....
Yup you have to stay on top of it with wax. I also found that the Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover works wonders on it. I would spray down the front (where the bra was) and let it soak a bit and then come back and wash it and then put a coat of wax on it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had 3M film installed on my '06 G35 which cost me $600 including the headlights.
I would never do it again. It's just cheaper to have the bumper repainted if it gets bad enough.
Plus, you get a visible line where the film ends which annoyed me and dirt clung to it at the edge.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Sep 22 2010, 04:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358072
It's just cheaper to have the bumper repainted if it gets bad enough.
Plus, you get a visible line where the film ends which annoyed me and dirt clung to it at the edge.

My thoughts exactly, don't understand this whole 3m clear bra craze.

To each their own I guess. If you feel more protected then feel it, but in my professional opinion clear bras are a waste of money.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just vinyl wrap the whole car! :whistling:

Flat black Sonata FTW!

·
Registered
111 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Sep 22 2010, 03:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=358072
I had 3M film installed on my '06 G35 which cost me $600 including the headlights.
I would never do it again. It's just cheaper to have the bumper repainted if it gets bad enough.
I hope you got more than your bumpers and lights done, cause otherwise thats a huge ripoff. I got my bumpers done for around 260 and extra 40 for lights.
Its already saved me from a few scratches and if it gets a little messy getting one bumper cover replaced is a lot easier and cheaper than repainting one. I haven't had a problem with dirt on edges, but I've only had it for 2-3 months now. The cover is nearly invisible unless you know specifically what to look for. Everyone whos ever rode my car never even noticed until I told them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.