Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the first things I'd like to do on my car. I think installing LED lights gives the car such a cleaner, more sharp look than the dull traditional halogen bulbs. I found this video for it but this process just seems like a pain. On other cars the housing would pop out via screws or hooks. This process requires taking out that whole cover in the trunk. Is this the only way for anyone that has done it?

·
22,792 Posts
Pretty much! Unless you think you can pry them out with a tiny jeweler's screwdriver. Be prepared to go buy a replacement (about 10-12 bucks) for the first attempt. You will break it and have to ride around with duct tape holding it up until the replacement comes in. There's the scratches to the paint caused by the metal screwdriver tip. Then, RUST! Touch-up paint. After all that, you STILL get to remove the cover, anyway, to install the new one. Not a good picture. :( Invest in the few minutes to remove the cover.

Taking the cover off isn't that big of a deal. Takes about 2-3 mintues, 5 tops. Then, reach in, squeeze the clip, pull out the housing, etc., etc. Cover goes on faster than it comes off. :) And, yes, the LED's give a fantastic look to the license plate area. Lots of places online where to order them.

If you don't have the time to do it right, don't do it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much! Taking the cover of isn't that big a deal. Takes about 2-3 mintues. Then, reach in, squeeze the clip, pull out the housing, etc., etc. Cover goes on faster than it comes off. And, yes, the LED's give a fantastic look to the license plate area. Lots of places online where to order them.
Did a little more research. No need to take off the cover inside the trunk! You can pull the housing out right from the outside of the car :) Extremely easy. I just tried it with some LED lights I had from my mustang(168), and they didn't work oddly. But when I search the 2825 bulb that's requested for the elantra(per sylvania bulb guide), 2825 bulb is same as 168, 194. So I'm not sure why these didn't work. Not sure what to order now.

·
22,792 Posts
LED's are polarity sensitive. Turn them over and reinsert. And you may have blown a 10 amp fuse under the driver panel. You also have the bulb # W5W that are listed on the eBay sites. Bayonet end. I bought mine about 16 months ago. About $1 for both, free shipping. I bought 3 sets for 3 different vehicles. Still going strong...

Reactions: himilcyclr

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I removed mines using a 1x2 piece of wood as a block. Slight push to the side and the lens can be easily dropped for bulb replacement. No need to remove the trunk liner.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it working guys!! Can't wait for tonight :) They really do make a car look so much better at night.

OkieRich, that's probably what it is! I will have to install them on my gf's new elantra GT. She'll be excited as I have a bunch leftover from when I first purchased them. I thought they were all bad but I guess I just need to flip them over. thankss

·
22,792 Posts
I removed mines using a 1x2 piece of wood as a block. Slight push to the side and the lens can be easily dropped for bulb replacement. No need to remove the trunk liner.
Curtis, where were you when I was taking off the cover to get to my plate bulbs? Really? LOL 1x2 piece of wood, huh? Shade tree mechanicing at its finest, boys and girls.

Thanks for the heads-up... ;) Hey, Stang...I stand corrected. Old geezers CAN learn new tricks!

·
Registered
808 Posts
On the Tucson, it takes seconds to remove the bulb housing! Strange that the Elantra is so much more difficult.
Worth it in the end though, the LED's look great

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the Tucson, it takes seconds to remove the bulb housing! Strange that the Elantra is so much more difficult.
Worth it in the end though, the LED's look great
Yeah the guy in the video didn't have to do all that. All you do is slide the housing laterally and it pulls right out. Probably exact way it works in the Tucson. I'll update my first post so if anyone finds this post, they don't have to go through that whole process. EDIT: Nevermind, seems I can't edit the OP.

Next up I'd like to put some LED's in the map lights, but not sure if that'd be too bright.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I've also got LEDs in the tail/brake combo bulbs and the rear turn signals. I also had them in the marker lights until the first ones began spazzing out and nothing else I tried did a nice, even spread so I just went back to the peanut 168 bulbs for those. Still looks fine. I'll be ordering some amber 1157s for the front turn signals here shortly.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah the guy in the video didn't have to do all that. All you do is slide the housing laterally and it pulls right out. Probably exact way it works in the Tucson. I'll update my first post so if anyone finds this post, they don't have to go through that whole process. EDIT: Nevermind, seems I can't edit the OP.

Next up I'd like to put some LED's in the map lights, but not sure if that'd be too bright.
I replaced all of my interior lights and coiuld not be happier. If your concerned with them being too bright you can get ones which have a dimmer function on the led board then you can adjust the brightness.
Exled sell those, you can also find ones on ebay

·
22,792 Posts
It looks great inside, as well. You can regulate the brightness by the number of LEDs in the bulb socket. On my dome, I'm using a 60 LED board, 16's in the map lights, and either 6 or 8 in each vanity lamp (can't remember...old guy, LOL). Installed two strings of LEDs in the trunk, each running laterally (1 left, 1 right) from the center lens housing.
3M backing allows them to stick up under the rear deck lid edge so they remain out of view. But, pop open that trunk at night? WOW!

My final LED project which I have procrastinated on is 2 blue 6 LED strings in the leg tunnels under the dash (one each side). Just a splash of color when opening the door. Design is to work with the cabin light auto on/off function.

And maybe a switched LED glove box light.

And maybe a... :grin:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It looks great inside, as well. You can regulate the brightness by the number of LEDs in the bulb socket. On my dome, I'm using a 60 LED board, 16's in the map lights, and either 6 or 8 in each vanity lamp (can't remember...old guy, LOL). Installed two strings of LEDs in the trunk, each running laterally (1 left, 1 right) from the center lens housing.
3M backing allows them to stick up under the rear deck lid edge so they remain out of view. But, pop open that trunk at night? WOW!

My final LED project which I have procrastinated on is 2 blue 6 LED strings in the leg tunnels under the dash (one each side). Just a splash of color when opening the door. Design is to work with the cabin light auto on/off function.

Well the LED on the license plate looks great. Only thing is that the middle of the license plate isn't that lit up, but the sides are. I understand it's because that's where the light is being projected from. Not totally satisfied but probably will leave it since it's still white light, instead of the regular dull yellow/white color.

What's the dome vs the map light? To my understanding, the map lights are the lights directly above your head. Also, is it hard to install the map lights?

I had the same exact footwell lighting in my mustang. Hard wired it right into the factory light switch so whenever my lights came on, my footwell lighting lit up. So I had the ambient lighting on even when I was driving. It was awesome! I also had blue map lights so my car was very blue getting into it lol

Here is the exact kit I had: 7 Color 2pc Expandable LEDGlow LED Interior Lights Lighting Starter Kit.
Worked perfect and offered 7 different colors, but I always stuck with blue. Plus its only $25. It was simple wiring it up to my mustang but since the light switch is on the steering wheel knob, I figured it'd be a PITA on the elantra so I just left them in my mustang when I sold it.

·
22,792 Posts
I'm calling the dome the large lens/housing in the center of the headliner just behind the driver/passenger seats. I call those two little fellas up by the rear view mirror the map lights. I may be wrong but that's what they are to me and I'm too set in my crotchety ways to learn new names. :grin:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm calling the dome the large lens/housing in the center of the headliner just behind the driver/passenger seats. I call those two little fellas up by the rear view mirror the map lights. I may be wrong but that's what they are to me and I'm too set in my crotchety ways to learn new names. :grin:
No that all makes perfect sense. Matches up to what I thought.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Wow!

Wow! 60 in the dome. I thought I was going to be bright when I received my 12's in the mail to day. Upgrading from a 6. So what SPF sunscreen are you using Okie?

Off topic... congrats on the upcoming breaking dirt! God Bless and protect all you good people in Oklahoma.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts