Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. Sometimes I need to turn the wheels in my garage, and noticed the wheel is a lot harder on this car than others with regular hydraulic PS. I feel like I'm going to break something on this car, so rather not do it. Was looking for an alternative to having to start engine and shut it off right away (not good). Remember reading that if you press the start button in certain sequence you can get PS without engine running; hope that's true. Thanks gang.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tapping the power button turns on the Nav unit/or in some cars the radio. I have not heard this but maybe the long press without depressing the brake. I know this turns on the dash lights and it sounds like something is engaging in the trunk area. This could be the sequence you are referring to?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Touch the start button 2 times without foot on brake pedal to illuminate all the warning lights (same as run/on position with key cylinder)... this should power up the MDPS system and let you have assist --- holding brake pedal when doing this will start engine.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 16 2010, 10:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363976
Touch the start button 2 times without foot on brake pedal to illuminate all the warning lights (same as run/on position with key cylinder)... this should power up the MDPS system and let you have assist
It doesn't work. Just tried again and nothing. Tried everything and no luck. But I found something it might come handy in case of brake switch malfunction: if you hold the button down when turning the ignition on (second push), the engine starts after about 5 seconds (without touching the brake). Thanks anyway man.

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Oct 16 2010, 04:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363955
Hi gang. Sometimes I need to turn the wheels in my garage, and noticed the wheel is a lot harder on this car than others with regular hydraulic PS. I feel like I'm going to break something on this car, so rather not do it. Was looking for an alternative to having to start engine and shut it off right away (not good). Remember reading that if you press the start button in certain sequence you can get PS without engine running; hope that's true. Thanks gang.
I believe others here are right in assuming that to some extent the unit is powered up when you press the ginition button twice but based on the amount of different inputs it receives it isnt going to do anything for you unless the engine is running. From HMA Service EPS (Electric power steering, Column assist type) system uses an electric motor to assist the steering force and it is an engine operation independent steering system. EPS control module controls the motor operation according to information received from the each sensor and CAN (Controller Area Network),
resulting in a more precise and timely control of steering assist than conventional engine-driven hydraulic systems.Components (Steering Angle Sensor, Torque Sensor, Fail-safe relay, etc.) of the EPS system are located inside the steering column & EPS unit assembly and the steering column & EPS unit assembly must not be disassemble to inspect or replace them. I am guessing since the CAN doesnt detect any engine information that the unit is unresponsive.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only way to have power steering with engine off is by immediately hitting the start/stop button again after shutting engine off; tried it and it works. But that doesn't do anything for me; mentioned it in case somebody wanted to know (maybe for troubleshooting). Will continue turning steering wheel with both hands without assist when needed, but man, feels like I'm going to break something. A bit flimsy for my taste, but it's an 'affordable' mainstream family car; what did I expect :whistling:. Apparently, there's no secret sequence without turning engine on first... which defeats the purpose. Take care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts