Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I ha a confusing conversation this week with a Hyundai parts counter guy and I'd like opinions. My 2019 SF 2.4L AWD Ultimate is at 40,000 miles and I have it in mind to drain and refill the ATF in the 8-speed transaxle. There is plenty of online advice for doing so in apparently similar Hyundai transaxles. However, for 2019 SF, part numbers for transaxle bottom drain plug and gasket do not come up on the websites of Hyundai parts sellers. So, I went to a dealership and asked at the parts counter to look them up. He fussed around on his console for about 2 full minutes and then (looking up to me) said "actually, I don't think you want to enter the transaxle on the 'nineteens' any sooner than 100,000 miles, the fluid is supposed to be that durable." I thanked him, bought some less controversial service parts, and left.

Could this possibly be? Everybody says, draining and refilling ATF on some schedule is advisable, even if the car manufacturer claims it is lifetime. Maybe the parts guy was just having trouble looking up my gaskets, and wanted to dismiss the topic. (Or perhaps there is no bottom drain plug on the transaxle anymore?)

·
Registered
390 Posts
If it's SP4-M that the 6-speeders get then there's no penalty for changing it out sooner (between 40k-60k probably a good target). As for the gasket, just check it wasn't damaged during removal and you can re-use it without any issues as many of us have multiple times (mine has been reused twice). Agree that dealers don't have a clue what the PN is on that. Mine tried to pass of the Oil Drain plug washer as the tranny plug one...

·
Registered
64 Posts
40,000 Highway miles is very different than 40,000 city miles.

If its highway - - - you are prob good to wait a bit. If its city driving - - then yes do a drain and refill.
No fluid is filetime - - - - - no fluid.
Especially auto trans fluid - - - 8 gears and clutch packs generate more particles compared to the older 6 speed units.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, It think the parts clerk simply didn't know how to look up my crush washer and so he said something to appease me. Anyhow, it's winter and since I have no garage I'll wait for a mind-winter mild spell, if we get one.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
40,000 Highway miles is very different than 40,000 city miles.

If its highway - - - you are prob good to wait a bit. If its city driving - - then yes do a drain and refill.
No fluid is filetime - - - - - no fluid.
Especially auto trans fluid - - - 8 gears and clutch packs generate more particles compared to the older 6 speed units.
agree with that - you can run ATF fluid many miles if they are a lot of highway miles - low operating fluid temps and way less gear changes. Were it my auto I'd leave it till 100k assuming those 40k are largely highway.

·
Registered
346 Posts
No fluid is Lifetime - agreed needs changing. same principale can be aplied to your very own cooking oil in your fryer at home. if you keep using it over & over you can see how dark & gunky it gets." on your vehicle you want to change fluids before hand to keep on protecting components not after it harms something and its too late. Latitude42 i would drain & fill the trans 3x times with oem ATF & driving in-between each drain & fill for good internal splashing circulation & of course cleaning the Magnet each time as well.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
You can’t expect a parts counter employee to give advice on servicing your vehicle. That’s what the service manager does. At least talk to the right guy AND get the work done at the right place.
Actually I would tend to agree with the advice the parts counter guy provided as well as another poster who advised to just reuse the existing crush washer. But since the post was titled "any reason not to drain" that is telling as to the mind set, his vehicle so do whatever he so pleases. As an example of doing what I feel is appropriate on my 2013 I decided to drain and refill (3x using mobil 3309 and valvoline maxlife) at somewhere near 80k and the fluid was light brown, indicating it was in relatively good condition and the vehicle usage is probably 50/50 highway/city.
Lifetime fluid may be a misnomer but auto boxes have improved greatly in component durability - clutch material, electronic shift controls and improved ATF all are much better in recent yrs.
But it would be interesting as to what a service manager says - they do make their living selling services, the more sold the more presents under the tree. Fuel injection service anyone ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nope. You can perform your own maintenenace yourself even changing parts as long as it meets or exceeds oem equivalent that includes ATF fluid with it being an Automatic trans however i would advise on Only useing Hyundais oem fluid Magnuson Moss Warranty Act protects you from it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Nope. You can perform your own maintenenace yourself even changing parts as long as it meets or exceeds oem equivalent that includes ATF fluid with it being an Automatic trans however i would advise on Only useing Hyundais oem fluid Magnuson Moss Warranty Act protects you from it.

any particular section you're referring too? Obviously not applicable for us but interested to read what it is you are talking about.

·
Registered
346 Posts
gerard 2 changing ATF fluid will not void your warranty doing mantenance Diy'r as long as the owner keeps the purchase receit of the oil,washer,or any gasket is what im saying

·
Registered
970 Posts
gerard 2 changing ATF fluid will not void your warranty doing mantenance Diy'r as long as the owner keeps the purchase receit of the oil,washer,or any gasket is what im saying
That's fortunate for you guys, over here it's needs to be performed by suitably qualified person.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My argument with the OP is that he criticized a parts counter guy when he should have been speaking with a service manager about service advice. Naturally, he can do whatever he wants with his vehicle and take the risks along with his actions. Me, I’m not getting under the vehicle myself, just like the majority of folks here are not performing their own services.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi G2

In your land of down under, what does the law/act say as to what qualifies as "suitably qualified person".... Just wondering
You would have to dig through the ACCC but this is a summary of where you would stand if you DIY and you were also not a qualifies mechanic.

According to the ACCC law, a car warranty will remain valid if you follow the three main conditions:
  • Qualified staff: You can also have your car serviced by a non-dealer qualified mechanic during the warranty period. No need to service a car only with the dealer.
  • Manufacturer’s specifications: You do need to get the services done at the recommended times in the logbook.
  • Fit for the purpose: The parts used do not need to be genuine parts but must be the correct part for the job.
This means that doing your own servicing will invalidate your warranty if you are not a qualified mechanic yourself.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You would have to dig through the ACCC but this is a summary of where you would stand if you DIY and you were also not a qualifies mechanic.

According to the ACCC law, a car warranty will remain valid if you follow the three main conditions:
  • Qualified staff: You can also have your car serviced by a non-dealer qualified mechanic during the warranty period. No need to service a car only with the dealer.
  • Manufacturer’s specifications: You do need to get the services done at the recommended times in the logbook.
  • Fit for the purpose: The parts used do not need to be genuine parts but must be the correct part for the job.
This means that doing your own servicing will invalidate your warranty if you are not a qualified mechanic yourself.
I seriously doubt that changing your own oil, rotating tires, replacing air filters, light bulbs, or similar service work would be prohibited in Australia. If it were prohibited, the law would specifically state that fact and it does not. Keeping proper receipts for DYI maintenance purchases is the key. Everybody knows that Crocodile Dundee changes his own oil. 🥴

1 - 17 of 17 Posts