Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the answer to this is no, but I wanted to present my issue here to see whether there was any similar experience from anyone else.

I just got my new 2010 Hyundai Elantra SE with the LG navigation system two nights ago, so I'm still exploring its various features and nuances.

The issue for this thread is related to the volume of the radio when you turn the car on. I had noticed that it kept turning on louder than I had it set when I had turned off the car before. I finally found a reference to this in the Audio & Navigation System Owner's Manual where it says on page 14:
Adjusting the volume
Rotate the volume knob (VOL) on the control panel.

* Note
When you turn the unit off, the current volume level is automatically memorized. Whenever you turn the unit back on, it operates at the memorized level.
If you turn the unit off/on below volume level 5, the volume level is changed into 5. If you turn the unit off/on above volume level 25, the volume level is changed into 25.

I've found so far that on my relatively quiet roads, I'm happy with a volume level of 2. It's quite a shock to turn the car on and then a few seconds later getting the music "blasting" (comparatively speaking) if I should forget to lower the volume back down to 2 again.

For the sake of a more interesting analysis, I took my sound pressure level meter to the car and measured what the difference is. When the radio volume is set to 5, the average sound level is 72 dB; at 2, it's just 57 dB. That means, if I'm remembering how to figure this out, the minimum volume when you turn the car on is approximately 3-5 times louder than what I'd prefer.

I called the "Overall Navigation" number listed on the manual and spoke with someone there who, not very convincingly, told me that there was no way to change this. (He sounded more as though he wanted to get me off the phone as quickly as possible.)

I thought I'd ask here to see whether there is anyone else with the LG navigation unit in their Elantra who has an opinion of the default radio volume.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do what I do...

Before you leave the car, turn the radio off, and turn it on while you are already on the road or leaving your garage...

That does it for me :)

** Note, I do not have an LG navigation system... mine has the regular radio with OEM amplifier....

Sounds amazing!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not positive, as I usually forget to try this when I turn the car off, but a couple times that I believe I've tried this, I've found that even though the radio was turned off before I shut off the car, it still comes back on with its default volume level at 5 when I turn the car on the next time. It seems that the navigation unit merely considers the "radio off" mode to be the same as muting the radio, i.e., setting its volume to 0. Then when the car is turned on again, 0 < 5, so it raises it back to the minimum level.

Now, I could have been confused and not turned off the radio like I thought I did, but I cannot recall a single time in my few days of ownership that I turned the car on and the radio wasn't already on, despite any thoughts I had that I had turned it off beforehand.

Besides, even if I could do that, I'd still have to lower the volume each time I turned it on anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I managed to remember (well, with my son's help, that is) to do another radio-off test. I turned the radio off, saw it say "RADIO OFF" on the nav unit, and then turned the car off. We then went to watch a movie.

After coming back out, I started the car, and about fifteen seconds later, the sound of XM at volume level 5 could be heard within the car.

When I go to the dealer tomorrow to get the automatic locks enabled, I'm going to mention this because the volume level may be a documented feature, but the radio always turning on sounds like a software bug to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts