Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Morimoto 2Strokes have significantly more output (in lumens) than those for $30 less too. You have to get a little creative with applying the supplied dust cap extenders onto your OEM dust caps but I came up with a solution that has worked well.

That's my (personal experience) $.02.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morimoto 2Strokes have significantly more output (in lumens) than those for $30 less too. You have to get a little creative with applying the supplied dust cap extenders onto your OEM dust caps but I came up with a solution that has worked well.

That's my (personal experience) $.02.
Where did find the morimoto cheaper ?! It's like 130 in Amazon and the OPT7 is 89 plus it has ton of good reviews.

Does it fit well in the driver side ?!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had the opt7 low beams for about a year now. They are awesome and haven't given me any issues plus they fit under the factory dust cover. You will need to put a couple holes in the dust cover for the fan ventilation but that's it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had the opt7 low beams for about a year now. They are awesome and haven't given me any issues plus they fit under the factory dust cover. You will need to put a couple holes in the dust cover for the fan ventilation but that's it.
nice do u have any photos of the dust cover mod?!?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I drilled bigger holes directly behind the fan on the leds and smaller ones around the rest of the dust cap. I didn't want them overheating and failing prematurely. You might be able to get away with smaller holes thru out but I wanted to play it safe. No dust gets in still and I live in Arizona where its always dusty.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'll be installing LED headlights bulbs from Headlight Experts in my 2014 E-GT (H11 low beams) and the 2006 MX-5 Miata Grand Touring (H7 low beams and H9 high beams) I purchased recently. Looking forward to small bulb profile and NO in-line voltage regulator to deal with. Lifetime warranty and 4K Lumens/bulb for $89/pair was too good to pass up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I received my Headlight Experts units yesterday and they in fact have in-line voltage regulators. However, unlike my Morimoto 2Strokes they don't have a separate connection between the regulator's output and the bulb's input.

I haven't installed them in my E-GT yet but I've nearly finished putting them in my NC Miata and they seem to work very well. I'll post some install pics once I get the E-GT done.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
In case anyone is wondering what the lowest lights are in my front bumper in the second picture, they're the LED DRL's in my OE i30 fog light assemblies (not the LED 881 fog light bulbs in them) which are "ON" whenever my ignition is also "ON". If the H7 Headlight Experts' units I put as the low beams in my 2006 Miata MX-5 Grand Touring don't work out (mechanically, NOT visually, because of how Mazda designed the rear of the headlight housings where the bulbs mate), I'll be using them as high beams in my E-GT as they're excellent bulbs.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
Thank God, no more "HGTV-solution" dust caps!! The lighting pattern is reminiscent of the Morimoto HIDs I put in my 2015 Accent Sport and far superior to the Putco's I was using after finnicky 2Strokes.
Whats the output like? I will eventually get my hands on a set of Diode Dynamics SL1's to try which will fit without problems also.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The output is at least as good as the Morimoto HIDs I had in my 2015 Accent Sport which is to say excellent. There are no dead spots, clean cut off and wide dispersion. The only problem I've had with the Headlight Experts bulbs is that I've had two separate bulbs begin to randomly go off/on on their own. This was also the issue I had with one of the two Morimoto 2Strokes except the one would always re-illuminate if I toggled the headlight stalk off then on again. The HE bulbs would not react the same to the stalk action but the one bulb always turned back on eventually. Their Customer Service took these back and sent me replacements without issue. I eventually purchased another N.I.B. set of HE H11's on eBay for $10 and one of those bulbs has been as rock solid as one from my original set so I no longer experience the random outages and I've got two spares. I also found a set of HE H7's on eBay that were N.I.B. but were a prior passively-cooled design so I swapped those into the low beam position in my Miata and took the actively-cooled HE H7s that were in there for high beam/DRL duty in the E-GT (without modification to the OE dust caps nor fitment issue). The high beams on the dark country roads of west Tennessee I commute weekly on is absolutely phenomenal. To be clear, the two actively-cooled HE sets I've had in the Miata never experienced any random outages and the performance has been excellent and remain that way with the one set being swapped with the passively-cooled low beams (which don't sit behind dust caps on the Mazda, they're exposed to the engine bay).

I firmly believe there is something about the E-GT's electrical headlight signal that is potentially adverse to certain LED bulbs that yields the random outages and I suspect I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

At my recommendation, a coworker tried a set of HE H11B's in his 2014 Veloster Turbo and he experienced the random outage scenario with both bulbs and occasionally simultaneously. He returned them without issue, got his refund and purchased some other brand that as far as I know have been flawless in operation and more than satisfactory in illumination performance.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The output is at least as good as the Morimoto HIDs I had in my 2015 Accent Sport which is to say excellent. There are no dead spots, clean cut off and wide dispersion. The only problem I've had with the Headlight Experts bulbs is that I've had two separate bulbs begin to randomly go off/on on their own. This was also the issue I had with one of the two Morimoto 2Strokes except the one would always re-illuminate if I toggled the headlight stalk off then on again. The HE bulbs would not react the same to the stalk action but the one bulb always turned back on eventually. Their Customer Service took these back and sent me replacements without issue. I eventually purchased another N.I.B. set of HE H11's on eBay for $10 and one of those bulbs has been as rock solid as one from my original set so I no longer experience the random outages and I've got two spares. I also found a set of HE H7's on eBay that were N.I.B. but were a prior passively-cooled design so I swapped those into the low beam position in my Miata and took the actively-cooled HE H7s that were in there for high beam/DRL duty in the E-GT (without modification to the OE dust caps nor fitment issue). The high beams on the dark country roads of west Tennessee I commute weekly on is absolutely phenomenal. To be clear, the two actively-cooled HE sets I've had in the Miata never experienced any random outages and the performance has been excellent and remain that way with the one set being swapped with the passively-cooled low beams (which don't sit behind dust caps on the Mazda, they're exposed to the engine bay).

I firmly believe there is something about the E-GT's electrical headlight signal that is potentially adverse to certain LED bulbs that yields the random outages and I suspect I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

At my recommendation, a coworker tried a set of HE H11B's in his 2014 Veloster Turbo and he experienced the random outage scenario with both bulbs and occasionally simultaneously. He returned them without issue, got his refund and purchased some other brand that as far as I know have been flawless in operation and more than satisfactory in illumination performance.
Glad I am not the only one with some headlights issues specifically with LED's. I received a set to test and they would work fine sometimes and others start to flicker and even strobe. I have a feeling its all related. I just received an email that my SL1's are on the way so fingers crossed!

·
Registered
322 Posts
What is the warranty and cost on the SL1's? The HE LED's (which I paid $89/set initially) are the only ones I've found that are lifetime and that appealed to me since I will likely move them from car-to-car over time at least until some other superior technology comes along.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts