Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up every one. Any one in Orlando area know how to install aftermarket fog lights on 2011 soanta if so, please PM me or write up here.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't attempt it. Rather, I would trade for one that already has them. This question has come up several times in the past and the procedure doesn't get any easier. Do you REALLY, REALLY want to take a chance with that airbag. These things can kill a person if they go off. If you can't live without them and don't mind the cost, I would have a professional do this for you; someone who really knows his business. I wouldn't touch this with a 20 foot pole.

I personally believe that fog lamps should be standard safety equipment but for reasons that elude me manufacturers keep building cars with this very necessary accessory. If you are driving where the visibility is low and you can't see what is in front of you it is all to easy to hit a deer or other animal. You want all the visibility you can get.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm not quite sure I understand the comment about the airbag, as I have removed many steering wheels equipped with bags and never had an issue. Is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm not quite sure I understand the comment about the airbag, as I have removed many steering wheels equipped with bags and never had an issue. Is there something I'm missing?
I've added the fog lights to my 2011 and removed the airbag to change the switch. I think some feel that it's a dangerous procedure and should be avoided. I felt comfortable doing it myself, but if a person lacks the necessary skills or wishes to err on the side of caution, pay a dealership to do the swap. Most DIYers should be able to install the lights in the front bumper and run the rest of the new wiring harness. There is just one wire that connects to the new switch assembly. Another option would be to use a seperate switch and avoid the steering wheel removal.

·
Registered
234 Posts
To OP:

Follow the advice of the poster above who said " trade for one that already has them". That was the most brilliant advice on this thread and let him decide what to do to your car.

(Now I'm running for cover...)

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
Why is it that we have a lot of people giving free advice to someone who has to ask how to do this? This has been written up extensively with photos how to do this. I'm trying to give good advice.

I've done a lot of work on cars over a lifetime and there are two things I do not mess with. Electricity and plumbing. It is time to call in a professional. It's cheap compared to the disasters that come with amateurs doing this kind of work.

But do what you will and don't blame the messenger.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you want the lights but the thought of dealing with the airbag causes panic attacks as it does others...just buy the lights and wire them to an aftermarket switch avoiding the airbag.

Trading the car because you want fogs is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
If you want the lights but the thought of dealing with the airbag causes panic attacks as it does others...just buy the lights and wire them to an aftermarket switch avoiding the airbag.

Trading the car because you want fogs is ridiculous.
That won't cure another problem because they won't work properly with the brights. You can't have both brights and fog lamps on simultaneously. A stock vehicle with the fog lamps will automatically shut them off when the brights are activated. When the brights are turned off, the fog lamps will be turned back on and it is clearly displayed on the instrument panel.

Yes, one can put a switch on to activate anything. I've done it but it won't be what the manufacturer engineers into the vehicles. If I am not mistaken, a ticket will result from having both the fog lamps and brights on at the same time.

·
Registered
726 Posts
That won't cure another problem because they won't work properly with the brights. You can't have both brights and fog lamps on simultaneously. A stock vehicle with the fog lamps will automatically shut them off when the brights are activated. When the brights are turned off, the fog lamps will be turned back on and it is clearly displayed on the instrument panel.

Yes, one can put a switch on to activate anything. I've done it but it won't be what the manufacturer engineers into the vehicles. If I am not mistaken, a ticket will result from having both the fog lamps and brights on at the same time.
True...it may not be legal but I never got a ticket for it in the 5 years I owned a truck with that feature (fogs not working with highs) bypassed. I also rewired it where my low beams woult stay on with highs and the daytime running lights were always on. Eight forward lights when highs were on and never a ticket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts