Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Looking to purchase a 2010-2012 Santa Fe, and am looking to get a little advice. We own a 2011 Sonata currently and will be replacing our other vehicle and would like to purchase a Santa Fe. That being said:

are there any known issues i should watch out for? Engine, Transmission, brakes, common leaks, problems, that sort of thing...?

It looks like the same 2.4L I-4 I4 that's used in the sonata is used here as well?

I assume the engine carries a timing chain and not belt?

Just looking for advice and knowledge that won't be found elsewhere from folks that actually own these vehicles. All help is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
For what it's worth, I was told the 4 cyl engine has the belt - the has the chain.
A cylinder count missing there in the second half of the sentence, but my real question is ...

WHO told you this???

All of the dealers and aftermarket shops selling the W0133-1780725 for the 2.4L are gonna be real disappointed.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Chain in the THETA 2.4L.. aluminum front cover with cam cover overlap says so. Belt will have plastic covers extending off front of engine

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I gotta lay off the cheap wine!! I was thinking of the 2.7 6 cyl vs the 3.3. The 2.7 has a belt, the 3.3 a chain, right guys??

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump. any other pieces of advice. i think we've cleared up the timing chain issue

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Search the forum for 2010 transmission problems. I think I saw something about tranny issues. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Stick with a 2011 or 2012.

Also, the 2.7 and 3.3 V6 aren't even an option for this model so not sure why that was brought up (cheap wine?).

P.S. Go Blue!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts