Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, back with a few questions I wanted to put out there and hopefully someone can give me an idea what I could do to remedy or fix these issues with my 01 Hyundai Elantra, with an automatic transmission.

1. I am experiencing a "grinding" sound upon my initial acceleration from park? This only occurs when the car has been sitting for a decent amount of time and the engine is relatively cold. To give you more detail: I start the car, throw it in gear and begin to accelerate. The grinding sounds is almost instant and sounds horrible. It is fairly consistent how long it lasts and generally once the car shifts to 2nd or 3rd it goes away. I do not hear it again until I park, leave the car for a while, then start it up and begin driving again. Any ideas?

2. I am hearing a "tension" like noise, also a little like scraping, when I brake at slow speeds coming from my driver side front wheel. I recently had my brakes replaced so I know its probably not the pads and at the time the rotors looked fine too. It is not a constant noise during the breaking either meaning, I apply the breaks, i hear it for a second, then it goes again, then it comes back, then goes away. Again it sounds like a mix between scrapping metal and tension.

Anything to help give me an idea what it could be, what I could look at on my own or where to take it and have it resolved would be a huge help!

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
85 Posts
What steps have you taken with regard to number 1? Fluid level okay? When was the tranny last serviced with new fluid and a filter? Current mileage?

As for number two perhaps the metal shield is just barely touching the rotor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
could you jack the front end up and put jackstands or wooden blocks underneath?(but would be safer to bring to a garage to put on hoist)

remove both front wheels and start the car....
then see if the grinding is from the brakes holding when you put it in drive....happens to me after carwash
and also apply the brakes slowly to hear if its a metallic brake lining noise ...metallic brakes pads take forever to stop making noise...
or one of the slider pins on calipers are not greased and causing warpage of pad...also the rotor may look fine but warpage can be caused by the old brakepads wearing down or high heat from alot of stopping... brake fluid might also get contaminants so that it does not properly release the calipers
definetly do what "norubit" said cause the transmission is way more costly and important than the brakes to fix

·
Banned
532 Posts
Very long shot, with the flooding in Denver could you be kicking up sand, dirt or did you drive through low level flood water...long shot like I said. Maybe a hit of WD 40 would get rid of residual H20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts