Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Sonata GLS and I am looking for a good 2-Way Remote Engine Starter.
I have been looking online and really like the Alpine 5301 which sells at Best Buy for $299.00 plus extra stuff like an $80.00 immobilzer ($29.99 to install) and $29.99 to have the Trunk Remote feature working. Of course I have seen that model other places like on Amazon for $179.99, but then again I would want it professional installed.
Would like one that has a nice range on it since I will be using it 100% outside of the house since my gar sits in a garage.
Your Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I just installed an Viper 5301 in my Sonata this weekend. Make sure the bypass they install will be the DEI Expresskit DBALL and no need to pay additional for trunk pop, it comes with the unit. It controls everything that the factory remote controls with NO EXTRA WIRING. The install was not hard at all (compared to others I have installed). I even connected the rear defroster to the remote start so if the temp drops below 55f it will turn on when remote starting (only need to connect 1 wire). It works flawlessly and great range.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Joeey.
Have you tried to start the car from very far away, even though you just installed it?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Dec 13 2010, 02:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379377
I just installed an Viper 5301 in my Sonata this weekend. Make sure the bypass they install will be the DEI Expresskit DBALL and no need to pay additional for trunk pop, it comes with the unit. It controls everything that the factory remote controls with NO EXTRA WIRING. The install was not hard at all (compared to others I have installed). I even connected the rear defroster to the remote start so if the temp drops below 55f it will turn on when remote starting (only need to connect 1 wire). It works flawlessly and great range.

I might get you to come install mine, i cant get on my back to install this due to a previous accident I had. hehehe

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (gbavero @ Dec 13 2010, 02:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379381
Thank you Joeey.
Have you tried to start the car from very far away, even though you just installed it?
Oh yeah I can't even see my car but I can see the lights turn on. Well over 1 city block range. But I guess it would depend on your area due to interference.

QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Dec 13 2010, 03:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379403
I might get you to come install mine, i cant get on my back to install this due to a previous accident I had. hehehe
No problem dude!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I got the Compustar P2W9000 in mine. I've started the car from over 3 city blocks away. Came out of the Saddledome (hockey arena) and started from the front steps and the car was 3 blocks directly west and 1 block further south. Only way I know it started was the remote receiving confirmation back from the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Dec 14 2010, 01:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379591
I got the Compustar P2W9000 in mine. I've started the car from over 3 city blocks away. Came out of the Saddledome (hockey arena) and started from the front steps and the car was 3 blocks directly west and 1 block further south. Only way I know it started was the remote receiving confirmation back from the car.
I have same model and very happy with it. Also love the query function of inside temp of interior both in winter and summer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I work at best buy as an installer, i have the Viper 5901 installed in my car with no extra parts needed (no bypass or any other bullcrap they try to sell you.). Everything your going to need is in the viper box. That includes the 5701,5301,5101, and the 4111L avital. Trunk pop works, domelight supervision, etc. so if that stuff doesnt work, the installers were just being lazy. Charging 29.99 to splice one wire into your trunk wire which is right where the fusebox is (very easy access) is blasphemous. i usually include it in the install at my garage. but every installer is different.

·
Registered
533 Posts
QUOTE (meshuggah27 @ Dec 14 2010, 08:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379636
I work at best buy as an installer, i have the Viper 5901 installed in my car with no extra parts needed (no bypass or any other bullcrap they try to sell you.). Everything your going to need is in the viper box. That includes the 5701,5301,5101, and the 4111L avital. Trunk pop works, domelight supervision, etc. so if that stuff doesnt work, the installers were just being lazy. Charging 29.99 to splice one wire into your trunk wire which is right where the fusebox is (very easy access) is blasphemous. i usually include it in the install at my garage. but every installer is different.
Will this Viper system work with proximity key as well? Do I need to then carry both remotes to drive my car with one and start it remotely and unlock it with the other?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You didn't need a bypass because you have a GLS. If you had a SE or Limited you would have needed the bypass for the Proximity key. You are correct installers charge extra for a simple single wire connection to add features when it takes no extra time. I can understand if they needed to add a relay and wire it but 35.00 to connect 1 wire??

QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Dec 14 2010, 04:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379817
Will this Viper system work with proximity key as well? Do I need to then carry both remotes to drive my car with one and start it remotely and unlock it with the other?
Yes and Yes. This system as any other system from DEI will require a bypass if you have a proximity key. And yes you will need to carry the remote for the remote starter, because once the remote starter is started the factory remote will NOT open the door. You can either use the remote start remote to unlock the door or use the factory key inside of the proximity. This is due to the fact of the vehicle thinks you are running the engine with the proximity key when in remote start mode.

On a side note the 5901 is known to be one of the best units on the market for Alarm/remote start.

·
Registered
114 Posts

I bought a viper 5101 and it was my understanding that I needed a bypass module (I also bought the DBALL (and the XLOADER2 to program it)). Can't send the dball back (got it off Ebay) but I can the XLOADER (got it from Amazon).

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
joey, what would I need on top of what you stated to have my droid act as a remote?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (Smoke1991 @ Dec 15 2010, 12:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379977
joey, what would I need on top of what you stated to have my droid act as a remote?
You would need a DEI "Smartstart" module and DEI Alarm / Remote Start that is compatible Smart Start If you view Directed.com they show a icon if the unit is Smart Start Compatible and a DBall bypass (programmed for your Sonata) if you have a proximity key.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts